Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG Bugs

Subject: The Divorce Thread: Should we split or should we join? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: vgg [+] [View All]
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution could be split into a 3D (PS3 / 360) version and a 2D (DS / iPhone) version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if this thread is monitored anymore, but Sonic Colors (Wii) should definitely be split into two different games: Sonic Colors (Wii) and Sonic Colors (Nintendo DS).

While both games share similar stories, themes, and some mechanics, the games are completely different. The Wii version is a 3D platformer with 2D segements, while the DS edition is purely 2D. The games have completely different developers (Sonic Team vs. Dimps) and the portable edition is definitely NOT a port of the console edition.

I own both these games, and am waiting to add cover art until this split is made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hi Guys-
I'm going to catch this thread up later. I'm also working on the merge thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostbusters: The Video Game should be split into three seperate entries:

Realistic - Xbox 360, PS3, & Windows
Stylized - PS2, PSP, & WII
Completely Different - DS

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_the_video_game for more details. I can help submit the other entries. Just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
Ghostbusters: The Video Game should be split into three seperate entries:

Realistic - Xbox 360, PS3, & Windows
Stylized - PS2, PSP, & WII
Completely Different - DS

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_the_video_game for more details. I can help submit the other entries. Just let me know.

I don't think the slight graphic restyling and minor differences between this gen and last gen consoles warrants a whole new entry page. Agree that DS seems pretty much its own thing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've submitted corrections for this, but the SNES release for Castlevania: Dracula X titled "Castlevania: Dracula X" was actually a different game (marketed as a sequel in Japan), and Muchi Muchi Pork! & Pink Sweets should be two games, since Muchi Muchi Pork! and Pink Sweets: Ibara Sore Kara were released separately in arcades before the Xbox 360 compilation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
WEC Le Mans

is the home conversion of

WEC Le Mans 24

My copy of the spectrum version has "WEC Le Mans 24" on the front cover, but "WEC Le Mans" on the spine, on the tape and on the loading screen, so "WEC Le Mans" should remain as an alternate title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryces wrote:
WEC Le Mans

is the home conversion of

WEC Le Mans 24

My copy of the spectrum version has "WEC Le Mans 24" on the front cover, but "WEC Le Mans" on the spine, on the tape and on the loading screen, so "WEC Le Mans" should remain as an alternate title.

I don't know the game well enough myself - anyone else know the games and have a contrary opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
This site shows images of the game, showing the WEC Le Mans name used on the home conversion and the advert from the time which shows the WEC Le Mans 24 logo and arcade machine alongside the home conversions.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/weclemans.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Time Pilot has a Commodore 64 version with an alternative name of "Space Pilot".

I do not believe that this is an official conversion, but rather an unlicenced clone, so I think that it needs to be given a separate entry.

I think that alongside any official clones of Time Pilot, there are at least three seperate unlicenced versions all using the name Space Pilot:

Space Pilot Clone 1

The Space Pilot Commodore 64 release does not list a developer or publisher, but as far as I can see there was only one game released under this name for the Commodore 64, written by Henrik Wening and published initially by Kingsoft and outside Germany by Anirog (later Anco).

I think that this version was released for Commodore 64, Commodore 16, Commodore Plus/4 and ZX Spectrum

Sources:

http://www.wening.de/deutsch/spiele/space-pilot.html (in German - C64, C16 releases)
http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=2396 (C64 release)
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam... (C64 release)
http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Space_Pilot (Plus/4 release)
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/showmag.cgi?mag=HomeComputing... (Advert showing ZX Spectrum and C64 releases)

Space Pilot Clone 2

There appears to have been a bootleg arcade machine with a poorly hacked title page.

Source:

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9678

Space Pilot Clone 3

Superior Software also released a Time Pilot clone called Space Pilot. There is no evidence that this has any connection to the version developed by Henrik Wening. It was written by Peter Johnson and David Lovekin.

Source:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/games/superior/Superior-SpaceP...

Recommendation:

I think that the Space Pilot release currently under Time Pilot should be split into it's own entry, called "Space Pilot", with C64, C16, Plus/4 and Spectrum Releases.

I think that the arcade version does not deserve an entry in the database - it is not simply a clone, but rather a bootleg. It even uses Konami's name on the title screen in the image shown on KLOV. I think it therefore counts as Pirated, or at the very least IP Infringing, and therefore is excluded from the database according to the Guide to Data Entry.

I think that there should be a second Space Pilot game in the database to cover the Superior Software game. For clarity, I would call this "Space Pilot (Superior Software)".

I need to enter the Superior Software version to support a compilation which I am currently entering. I will therefore create that in the database and reference this post so that the admin can see my reasoning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm a little worried about the unlicensed stuff right now. That is something we don't have a definitive answer on right now, though I am trying very hard to get one.
I will gladly nuke the arcade bootleg, but we will need to review the clone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb
I would like to propose to split the Strike Fighters 2 series into a "Wings Over" series and a "Strike Fighters 2" series:
Wings Over Europe: Cold War Gone Hot,
Wings Over Vietnam,
Wings Over Israel
The series and separate games now have 'Strike Fighters 2: ~' as alternative names. I think it should be separate titles.

Rationale:
When this flight sim started, it was called: Project Strike Fighters, or so. After that, it evolved for Windows platforms into three separate games: W.o.Europe, W.o.Israel and W.o.Vietnam.

Since Windows Vista, the game needed a major overhaul to be ready for the new times. This resulted in the discontinuation of multiplayer possibility (so the older W.o.~ are multiplayer, SF2:~ is 1player only), since the platform functionality supporting that feature was discontinued in Windows.

The games all use a dynamic campaign, so 'standard considerations' like "offers the new game a new storyline? Y= new game, N= re-release of old title" don't work here. However, recently the developer started to bring out expansions, like "Strike Fighters 2 North Atlantic" which is not available for 'Wings over...'

In all, the series become more and more different from each other. I think to catalog this correctly, we do need to list them as separate games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
I'm a little worried about the unlicensed stuff right now. That is something we don't have a definitive answer on right now, though I am trying very hard to get one.

I'm sorry, should have been clearer. The arcade game is not yet in the database, I was just giving an example that there are three different games, written by different people, based on Time Pilot across a variety of platforms using the name Space Pilot. Currently there is only one in the database (incorrectly attached to the current Time Pilot entry), one in the pending queue (entered by me) and one arcade machine, which I think should not be included because it is not a clone, it is a bootleg.

I'm rather concerned about the suggestion that we may not accept clones or unlicensed games - you'd have to get rid of an awful lot of 8-bit titles! There have been plenty of court judgements that ruled that it was legal to sell unlicensed games for consoles (most famously Activision vs. Atari, but also Accolade vs. Sega, etc.) and that unless you actually copy the code and graphics, that clones are OK too (Epyx vs. Data East, Data East vs. Capcom, etc.). If games were legally sold back in the day, it would seem downright bizarre not to include them in the database today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb
Addition on my previous SF2/WO-post: originally we discussed this here: Another 'version or release' question. There we decided to list it as one game.

However, since then I can to realize that:
mb WO~ has multiplayer, SF2 has not.
mb For SF2 additional DLC is released on a regular basis
mb Both series (SF2 and WO~) are still sold separately
mb For SF2 expansions are released (extra campaigns, a.o) which are not available for WO~

I feel therefore that they should be split into 2 series, so we can better tell how this stuff is sorted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bryces wrote:
zorazen wrote:

I'm sorry, should have been clearer. The arcade game is not yet in the database, I was just giving an example that there are three different games, written by different people, based on Time Pilot across a variety of platforms using the name Space Pilot. Currently there is only one in the database (incorrectly attached to the current Time Pilot entry), one in the pending queue (entered by me) and one arcade machine, which I think should not be included because it is not a clone, it is a bootleg.

I'm rather concerned about the suggestion that we may not accept clones or unlicensed games - you'd have to get rid of an awful lot of 8-bit titles! There have been plenty of court judgements that ruled that it was legal to sell unlicensed games for consoles (most famously Activision vs. Atari, but also Accolade vs. Sega, etc.) and that unless you actually copy the code and graphics, that clones are OK too (Epyx vs. Data East, Data East vs. Capcom, etc.). If games were legally sold back in the day, it would seem downright bizarre not to include them in the database today.

Personally, I'm with you. I just can't get an "official" ruling on it yet. But I am working on getting one, one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The game Fourcube is currently listed as a "release" for 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe but it should instead be a separate video game entry.

While both games represent a 3-D implementation of tic-tac-toe, Forcube is not otherwise related to the Atari game which was the original basis for the 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just submitted a correction for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (GC/PS2/Xbox) to be split. It is better to request to be posted here or should it be requested as a correction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
I just submitted a correction for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (GC/PS2/Xbox) to be split. It is better to request to be posted here or should it be requested as a correction?

Correction. I have this thread subscribed, but all I end up doing is submitting a correction myself so that it's recorded in case I forget I read this thread.

The corrections thread is small right now, so things shouldn't get lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
LostDice wrote:

Correction. I have this thread subscribed, but all I end up doing is submitting a correction myself so that it's recorded in case I forget I read this thread.

Agree with this sentiment - this thread gets flagged by my subscriptions, but once it's read, it's read (even if I just accidentally click the link during my lunch break). The correction stays permanently visible to the admins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Two related issues.

First suggestion:

This: Gran Trak 20
Should instead be a release for this: Gran Trak 20

These are the same game, they only featured different cabinets.

It seems to me that a game which comes in different arcade cabinet formats (i.e. stand-up vs cockpit vs cocktail, etc.) should reflect this through release entries for each type of cabinet, not separate video game entries. It might help to explicitly state this principle in the Data Entry guide...

Second suggestion:

On a related note, Gran Trak 20 was a two player version of Gran Trak 10, a single player game. (See: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7993)

What's the call on this? Should Gran Trak 20 be combined with the Gran Trak 10 entry?

If two arcade games are essentially the same except for the number of players they can accommodate, that seems better handled as a release rather than a new game entry (which is what I did with the video game entry I just submitted for Sprint 4 and Sprint 8).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Another example of the varying number of players issue:

Computer Space
Computer Space 2 Player

References:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Space
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7381
http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10558

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Two related issues.

First suggestion:

This: Gran Trak 20
Should instead be a release for this: Gran Trak 20

These are the same game, they only featured different cabinets.

It seems to me that a game which comes in different arcade cabinet formats (i.e. stand-up vs cockpit vs cocktail, etc.) should reflect this through release entries for each type of cabinet, not separate video game entries. It might help to explicitly state this principle in the Data Entry guide...

Second suggestion:

On a related note, Gran Trak 20 was a two player version of Gran Trak 10, a single player game. (See: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7993)

What's the call on this? Should Gran Trak 20 be combined with the Gran Trak 10 entry?

If two arcade games are essentially the same except for the number of players they can accommodate, that seems better handled as a release rather than a new game entry (which is what I did with the video game entry I just submitted for Sprint 4 and Sprint 8).

I agree with both of these submissions. It's dependent on gameplay, but those games you've suggested are effectively the same, except with the addition of a multiplayer option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ziilch wrote:
It's dependent on gameplay, but those games you've suggested are effectively the same, except with the addition of a multiplayer option.

For this reason, I really wish that Minimum Players and Maximum Players were part of the Release instead of the Video Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This: Road Runner (Midway Arcade Game)
Should instead be a release for this: Desert Gun

Per KLOV these are the same game, they only featured different cabinets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Platinum Edition is currently listed as a release under Return to Castle Wolfenstein (RtCW).

However, the Platinum Edition is a compilation of RtCW and the online multiplayer version Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Since it is a compilation, the Platinum Edition should be split out into its own video game entry (as was done with Return to Castle Wolfenstein Special Edition, a compilation of RtCW and the original Wolfenstein 3D).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.