Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG Bugs

Subject: The Divorce Thread: Should we split or should we join? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: vgg [+] [View All]
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
This 1992 NES game: F-117A Stealth Fighter

Appears to be a port of this 1991 PC game: F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0

Both are from MicroProse. Here are screenshots for the NES version:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/f-117a-stealth-fighter/scr...

Compare to the PC screenshots here on VGG.

It looks like these two F-117A entries should be combined as the differences in the NES and PC versions appear to be primarily due to platform limitations...

(Note that the 2.0 in the title of the PC game refers to F-19 Stealth Fighter, the previous Stealth Fighter PC game from MicroProse, not that this is F-117 2.0.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis was originally published by Codemasters. It later became the first game in Bohemia Interactive's ARMA series.

Patch 1.99 for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis upgraded the game to ArmA: Cold War Assault.

See http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Operation_Flashp...

I think that these need to be merged with probably the original game as the main name, with ARMA: Cold War Assault as an alternative name. It should be treated both part of the Operation Flashpoint and ArmA series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
I currently have a PS3, PS2, Wii, XBox 360 and an Amiga 1200 all connected to my TV
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
Commodore 16 and Commodore Plus/4

I never owned these, but my understanding is that the Commodore 16 has the same ROM as the Plus/4, but less memory and without the built-in productivity applications. See the Wikipedia article here and the description page at Commodore Plus/4 world here.

If software could fit in the 16K memory of the Commodore 16, then it would be compatible across both machines.

In similar circumstances we have not treated such similar hardware as separate platforms. For example all models of the Spectrum, from the 16K version to the 128K version are all lumped in together, as are all the different types of Amiga, including such diverse items as the early A500, the AGA chipset A1200 and the CD-based console CD-32. Even the Acorn Electron and BBC B are lumped together as BBC Micro.

Following these precedents, I think that the Commodore 16 and Commodore Plus/4 platforms should be merged.

The correct name for the Platform that encompasses both the C16 and the Plus/4 along with the lesser known versions of this hardware should be "Commodore 264 Family" in accordance with the definition at Commodore Plus/4 World. However this could cause confusion, given that the Plus/4 name is much more widely recognised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
bryces wrote:
The correct name for the Platform that encompasses both the C16 and the Plus/4 along with the lesser known versions of this hardware should be "Commodore 264 Family" in accordance with the definition at Commodore Plus/4 World. However this could cause confusion, given that the Plus/4 name is much more widely recognised.

After skimming the Wikipedia articles, I think you are correct that the technical family name is not the way to go.

Perhaps a simple combo name would be the most user friendly solution. Something like "Commodore C16 and Plus/4" is the straight ahead approach - unless someone can think of a less awkward way to title the combined platform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I just posted this in the duplicates thread, but looks like it needs to be mentioned here too:

NOTE TO ADMINS: This thread needs attention!

Checking back on the above posts, some of the duplicate reports from as far back as early 2013 have yet to be remedied...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bryce
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
HMS Astute on Sea Trials
mbmbmbmbmb
2013? My request to merge WEC Le Mans and WEC Le Mans 24 from October 2012 hasn't been actioned yet. One entry is the arcade game, the other is the home conversions. They really are the same game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are the same company:

Epoch
Epoch Co., Ltd.
Epoch Playthings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
All of these are the same company:

Epoch
Epoch Co., Ltd.
Epoch Playthings

these companies will not be merged !

we (the Geek) want the company imprints shown on the games as the linked publisher

on BGG this is an important part of version management
we don't want version nicknames of ABC Edition with a link to Publisher XYZ

I checked the entries
... good news, there were no RPGG links whistle

Epoch.. entered on BGG in 2003
BGG view
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/1392/epoch
VGG view
http://videogamegeek.com/videogamepublisher/1392/epoch

this entry got linked to VGG with the submission of some video games
those games should probably be linked to ID 13292 Epoch Co., Ltd. below
.... I will do this
the linked URL does not list any video games

Epoch Co., Ltd. entered on VGG in Jul 2010
it has only VGG links, no BGG links
http://videogamegeek.com/videogamepublisher/13292/epoch-co-l...

Epoch Playthings entered on BGG in 2002
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/445/epoch-playth...
see this Image, just above the Game name

see Shogun (Epoch Playthings edition)

are these entries part of a larger corporation, I believe so
we will still list them as their own entry

Hasbro has multiple Publishing Imprints on the Geek
we do not merge those imprints into Hasbro

we have discussed company entries before
Re: One System to Rule them All: The Duplicates thread
please read about 30 posts after the above link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lazure
Canada
Airdrie
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This entry should be split into two separate entries:

http://videogamegeek.com/videogamecompilation/112613/metal-g...

The Xbox 360 Version and PS3 Version both contain the following:

- MGS2
- MGS3: Subsistence (which further contains Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2)
- Peace Walker

The PSVita Version only contains:

- MGS2
- MGS3: Subsistence (which further contains Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2)

This lack of the Peace Walker entry, I believe, is enough to constitute enough of a difference to have it be split into its own entry. Otherwise, users will be misled into thinking that Peace Walker is also contained in the PSVita version (which it isn't).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith
msg tools
I noticed that Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES doesn't appear in the Top NES games list, which seemed odd to me so I did a search for the game. For some reason, it's listed as a compilation. If it were listed as a video game, it would currently be the #1 NES game.

You can see that this is the only search result for the game:
http://videogamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&object...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
tchntm43 wrote:
I noticed that Super Mario Bros. 3 for the NES doesn't appear in the Top NES games list, which seemed odd to me so I did a search for the game. For some reason, it's listed as a compilation. If it were listed as a video game, it would currently be the #1 NES game.

Good catch! I wonder how it came to be designated a compilation containing Mario Bros.???

Since you got me to take a closer look at the Super Mario Brothers 3 (SMB3) entry, I wanted to note another potential problem. I see a release entry for a "Challenge Set" edition of SMB3. I am not an NES fan, but I understand from a cursory web search that the "Challenge Set" boxed SMB3 was sold as a bundle with an NES console (also from the VGG gallery image of a box obliterated by the Challenge Set sticker bearing the notation that the game was not to be sold separately).

Since that release was never sold separately, should it be deleted and/or converted into an NES hardware release? Or should the release stand, for collection purposes, with a footnote that the cartridge was not sold separately??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Good catch! I wonder how it came to be designated a compilation containing Mario Bros.???

My guess is that this is because the GBA edition of Super Mario Bros. 3 , confusingly titled Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, includes the original Mario Bros. (as do all the games in the Super Mario Advance series). All the Super Mario Advance games should probably be in the database as separate video games which would be considered compilations.

The Maverick wrote:
Since that release was never sold separately, should it be deleted and/or converted into an NES hardware release? Or should the release stand, for collection purposes, with a footnote that the cartridge was not sold separately??

My take is that it should remain as a video game release. It may not have been sold separately initially, but it can certainly change hands in the aftermarket. A collector may own this edition of the game without owning the entire hardware bundle. I know I definitely own some "Not for Resale" games that I bought at garage sales or thrift shops without their accompanying hardware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMan2k3 wrote:
All the Super Mario Advance games should probably be in the database as separate video games which would be considered compilations.

thumbsup

The original Mario 3 also has a trimmed-down version of the original Mario Bros. as a mini-game in multiplayer, but I don't think this should count as Mario 3 containing Mario Bros. because it isn't the full game. I do agree that the Mario Advance games should be separate games, and those should be considered compilations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
tchntm43 wrote:

I noticed a similar thing with Portal (2007), which is listed as NOT being available for the PS3. In fact a PS3 version is available, but only as part of The Orange Box, As a result Portal does not show up as in the PS3 game rankings.

A similar issue arise with Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes which ARE available also for the Wii, but only in Metroid Prime Trilogy. They therefore do not show up in the Wii rankings.

What's the policy on this? Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
über evil bob
United States
Mount Doom
Middle-earth
flag msg tools
And you thought Old & CE Bob was Evil
badge
LIVE ACTION SPAM HUNTER
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
Calling Evil Stargate!

Since the duplicates thread was locked and unpinned for lack of admin interest, shouldn't the same be done with this sister thread???

this thread has been locked and unpinned

to report split and merge requests
Please use the Correction Feature

for The Mav
the last post prior to your request was 17 months ago

the admins do have interest
the correction feature is the preferred management tool
the VGG admin email group does discuss these issues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.