Nintendogs
Fallout 2
Nintendo DS
Mega Man 6
Excitebike
The word translated to "the sound of a thrown bucket hitting
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb

"VGG: MOBA / A-RTS genre fan"?

I looked at the Wikipedia page where the typical MOBA map is represented with red and blue bases with lanes of attack (here much simplified, because microbadge).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Button alternative: side-on button:

> > >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:

"VGG: MOBA / A-RTS genre fan"?

I looked at the Wikipedia page where the typical MOBA map is represented with red and blue bases with lanes of attack (here much simplified, because microbadge).

I have an idea for this (which isn't far off from what you came up with), but I won't be at my computer for a few hours. If you beat me to it, try staggering the letters diagonally to better mirror the map and possibly make all three lanes visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Something more like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
I'd like to propose a MB for Smite:

1.)

Name: SMITE: Battleground of the Gods
Mouseover Text: SMITE: Battleground of the Gods
Group: Video Games
Subgroup: S
Group Description: SMITE

Sources:
redesigned to

thumbsup Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

-----

At 5x zoom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
I'd like to propose a MB for Vainglory:

Name: Vainglory
Mouseover Text: Vainglory
Subgroup: V
Group Description: Vainglory

Sources:
redesigned to

-----

At 5x zoom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
> >

Tree unskewed and given a wider base; thing left at lower position.

mightyoak wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
What isn't clean about the ring finger? Is your monitor doing some naughty hardware scaling?

Oh, I guess you're right. Sorry about that. Although, now after closer examination, it looks like there may be a small growth on the bottom left of the pointer/index finger. I can only assume it's not another weird monitor issue.

The base of the index finger does look weird, let me do something about that. (A funny thing about pointing hand icons in general is that they often just show the knuckles for every finger but the index finger and thumb, but some have them extended as if they're bent at the second knuckle, which is a very awkward way to point.)

mightyoak wrote:
I'm in the process of doing several eSports badges: specifically ones for MLS, ESL, specific game leagues, and eventually maybe a few popular eSports teams (like Cloud9, Team Liquid, FaZe Clan, etc).

Just don't forget to make non-game-, non-league-, non-team-specific ones too. Max abstractitude.

maybe draw a building instead of a tree? Or a different sort of tree, less "flat". Add some depth / 3D to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyoak wrote:

1.)

Sources:
redesigned to

-----

At 5x zoom...

Would like to see the bottom lightened a little bit as it feels like it's getting too dark at the reduced scale. Also, I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion, but it really looks like the middle of the S is bigger than the top or bottom? Maybe the gaps in the S should only be 1 pixel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcticLancer wrote:

Something more like this.

Hmm, hmm. It's a better representation although it loses some cleanness. Here's one variant with max stagger and fading out the lines around the letters, and one (too?) freaky alternative approach:

Sjeng wrote:
maybe draw a building instead of a tree? Or a different sort of tree, less "flat". Add some depth / 3D to it?

Any particular reason for building, or just that they are prettier? I could easily add a gradient to the tree, but since its function is mostly to be a faded background, I'm not sure there's much point to it.

>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyoak wrote:

1.)

At 5x zoom...

It looks like a 5; maybe fortifying the lower right of the S helps.

Also maybe increase saturation and/or brightness for the S; you can tell in the 5x it's got a different, colder hue but it's not apparent in the 1x.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
>

General change/fix/overhaul/cleanup/stuff.

Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
As usual, thanks for the feedback! Please let me know which changes weren't helpful, if any.

(v1)
-> (v2)

V2: Lightened and increase saturation of the 'S', blue background, and lower half of frame. Redrew 'S' so that all lines are 2 pixels wide, and made lines less textured (more uniform).

At 5x zoom... put behind spoiler to reduce distraction.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
(v1)
-> (v2)

ArcticLancer wrote:
Would like to see the bottom lightened a little bit as it feels like it's getting too dark at the reduced scale. Also, I'm not sure if it's an optical illusion, but it really looks like the middle of the S is bigger than the top or bottom? Maybe the gaps in the S should only be 1 pixel?

I'm guessing it's an optical illusion; the top, middle and bottom horizontal lines of the 'S' were all 2 pixel rows. Also, the gaps were only 1 pixel.

It probably looked weird because the left and right verticals lines were 2.5 columns wide which threw off the proportions. Hopefully it's better now.

Kaffedrake wrote:
It looks like a 5; maybe fortifying the lower right of the S helps.

I'm not sure how to avoid it looking like a '5' without deviating from the source more so than I'd intend to. I'm pretty confident that fans of the game will recognize it as the 'S' from the title.

If it's still problematic, please elaborate what you mean with "fortifying". *I'm not familiar with that term in this context.

Kaffedrake wrote:
Also maybe increase saturation and/or brightness for the S; you can tell in the 5x it's got a different, colder hue but it's not apparent in the 1x.

I'm not sure what you mean by giving it a colder hue. Is that making it more blue-ish and less red-ish? I tried "de-texturizing" the 'S' so that the contrasts from light and shadow may be a little easier to detect at 1x without getting to the extend of being distracting.

-----
[EDIT: Opps... deleted V2 from gallery; uploaded new one]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think you're screwed with regard to it looking like a 5 (taken in isolation, the source material looks like a 5 too, so big shrugs there), but like you said: it's something fans won't struggle with.

Regardless, MUCH improved. I'm totally sold on it as-is, but if you were really looking to go the extra mile, you could try reintroducing a touch of the gradient style from the original by just putting something like a 10-20% opacity white -> black gradient over the whole thing set to multiply. I don't recall exactly your comfort level with Paint.net so if that's not easy to do just let me know and I'll do it when I get home this evening~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyoak wrote:
I'd like to propose a MB for Vainglory:

Name: Vainglory
Mouseover Text: Vainglory
Subgroup: V
Group Description: Vainglory

Sources:
redesigned to

-----

At 5x zoom...

I'd love for someone else to weigh in on this one, as I sometimes have trouble with red on certain backgrounds (this is definitely closer to blue than green, but I'm still not sure if I'm seeing it quite right). But I'd be tempted to just try and increase the edge clarity of the red shape by brightening it a bit more. Also, the red shape in the microbadge doesn't actually match the shape you posted (the arms are lower, making it more of a centered X than the cross-like shape of the original).
The white mark is probably a-okay, but I'd be curious if you could get away with the circle being a pixel smaller since it is actually quite small in the original (and it might help you with the red shape by giving you a little more space to define it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyoak wrote:

1.)

Sources:
redesigned to

-----

At 5x zoom...

I'd try hand drawing in the shades of the S, and make it sharper. The original basically has some very sharp lines. If you pick one colour from each trapezoid, and then just hand draw the S, you could get a pretty sharp design I think. You can always highlight a few pixels here and there for effect.

edit... which is exactly what you did lol

nice work. Maybe more contrast between the neigbouring trapezoids to exaggerate the shadows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
ArcticLancer wrote:
I'm totally sold on it as-is, but if you were really looking to go the extra mile, you could try reintroducing a touch of the gradient style from the original by just putting something like a 10-20% opacity white -> black gradient over the whole thing set to multiply.

Thanks, Nicholas! I'm not familiar with the technique you described, but the instructions seemed easy enough to follow. I can toy with it some more later, as long as I avoid darkening the bottom back to how it was in V1.

(v1)
-> (v2)
-> (v3)

V3: Applied a 15% opacity top layer with a white-to-black gradient (from top downward).

At 5x zoom...
(v2)
-> (v3)

----------
[EDIT: Oops! Deleted V2 from gallery; uploaded new one]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
ArcticLancer wrote:
mightyoak wrote:

Sources:
>>>

I'd love for someone else to weigh in on this one, as I sometimes have trouble with red on certain backgrounds (this is definitely closer to blue than green, but I'm still not sure if I'm seeing it quite right). But I'd be tempted to just try and increase the edge clarity of the red shape by brightening it a bit more. Also, the red shape in the microbadge doesn't actually match the shape you posted (the arms are lower, making it more of a centered X than the cross-like shape of the original).
The white mark is probably a-okay, but I'd be curious if you could get away with the circle being a pixel smaller since it is actually quite small in the original (and it might help you with the red shape by giving you a little more space to define it).

Reshaping the red cross and enlarging the circle were a couple artistic liberties I took because I thought they showed up a little better in tiny microbadge-form. When I have some time this evening, I'll upload a version closer to how you've describe (for comparison).

The background shouldn't have any green, but the blue is a quite dark. I was thinking about lightening it a little by applying a subtle purple hazy (as in the source). I can try helping the red cross stand out a bit more by brightening the edges, as you've described.

Ultimately, I don't want the red cross to stand out too much because I think of it more as an accented background and I don't want it to distract from the white spear too much (which is what I'm trying to make as the main focus).

-----
[EDIT: reworded message]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyoak wrote:
If it's still problematic, please elaborate what you mean with "fortifying". *I'm not familiar with that term in this context.

Basically strengthifying the visual presence. You had an optical effect where the shading made the lower right of your S look slanted, even though this effect wasn't present in the source, so you had to compensate. Your new S doesn't really have this problem.

mightyoak wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by giving it a colder hue. Is that making it more blue-ish and less red-ish?

More or less, though it's a little more complex and possibly subjective and/or metaphysical. Fun fact: I was taught about warm and cold colours in junior high school by a British basketball player turned Swedish arts teacher. Apparently he still tweets about British basketball. I didn't see a tweet about colour.

mightyoak wrote:
(v1)
-> (v2)

-> (v3)

I want (5,10) lightened a tad, it looks a little pinched there at the end.

mightyoak wrote:
V3: Applied a 15% opacity top layer with a white-to-black gradient (from top downward).

Whoa, this is advanced stuff. Now apply a 15% microbadge jargon layer to your posts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kinsman
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
mightyoak wrote:

Whoa, this is advanced stuff. Now apply a 15% microbadge jargon layer to your posts

Proof you can teach a new dog old tricks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Here's one variant with max stagger and fading out the lines around the letters, and one (too?) freaky alternative approach:

I prefer this one since it reminds me of the 3-lane maps popular with the genre.

[EDIT]
- Also, I like that Nicholas kept the all red on one side and the blue on the other; it seems more representative of how each team defends its side of the map.

-----
Kaffedrake wrote:
Sjeng wrote:

Any particular reason for building, or just that they are prettier? I could easily add a gradient to the tree, but since its function is mostly to be a faded background, I'm not sure there's much point to it.

>

Personally, I like the idea of a building just because it seems more appropriate for Space Invaders to be attacking buildings than trees.

That said, I think the AR concept is still conveyed well with the tree and I worry that the building won't be as easy to convey in the limited space (without over cluttering the image).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightyoak wrote:
Kaffedrake wrote:
Here's one variant with max stagger and fading out the lines around the letters, and one (too?) freaky alternative approach:

I prefer this one since it reminds me of the 3-lane maps popular with the genre.

[EDIT]
- Also, I like that Nicholas kept the all red on one side and the blue on the other; it seems more representative of how each team defends its side of the map.

>

It doesn't look like both colours are teaming up against the VGG logo?

mightyoak wrote:
Personally, I like the idea of a building just because it seems more appropriate for Space Invaders to be attacking buildings than trees.

Which is why, when that happens, you don't think "how odd, must be augmented reality".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Button alternative: side-on button:

> > >

By any chance, does the person who voted against the old button in the poll like the new button any better? Does anyone who thought the old button would do not like the new one at all? Personally I feel the new one is much cleaner and the slanted perspective on the old button wasn't working as well as I wanted. Maybe most devices don't have tall red buttons, but it can't be denied that tall red buttons visually say "button".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
So I made various changes to the 'S' and the frame. Please let me know which changes aren't worth keeping, if any.

(v3)
-> (v4)

V4: [1] Increase opacity of top layer (B&W gradient) to 20%. [2] Increased contrast between light and shadow pixels in 'S'. [3] Increased relative brightness of pixel (5,10). [4] Made the frame's middle and lower corners more closely match the top corners. [5] Redrew bottom rows of frame.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Sorry it takes me so many variations to get it right. And sorry for accidentally deleting the previous V2 from my gallery.

At 5x zoom... hidden to reduce distraction
(v3)
-> (v4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Oaks
msg tools
mb
This version is meant to be a more accurate depiction of the source (except for the brighter background). Please let me know which changes aren't worth keeping, if any.

(v1)
-> (v2)

V2: [1] Reduced circle size. [2] Raised crossbar of cross (redrawing parts). [3] Brightened edges of entire cross. [4] Added purple haziness to background.

Sources:
>>>

At 5x zoom...
(v1)
-> (v2)

ArcticLancer wrote:

I reduced the circle in V2 some, but when making it smaller, it quickly seems to lose its roundness:

(v2)
-> (v2b)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
> >

I see a tree with the face of a dog:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  320 , 321 , 322 , 323 , 324  Next »  [324] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.