Popular Tags: review_competition [+] VGG:Contest [+] VGG:Review [+] [View All]
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
I don't think he would like that.
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribe to this thread to be alerted when a new contest is open, when voting has begun, and when winners have been announced.

Please discuss the contest in the discussion thread instead of this thread. I want subscribers only to get alerted when a new category has been posted!

Reviews! They help you when you’re trying to decide whether you’d like a particular game. And Video Game Geek doesn’t have enough of them, which is where this ongoing monthly contest comes in.

Overview
The way this works is simple. On the 22nd or 23rd of each month, a new category will be posted here (so be sure to subscribe to this thread!). That category could be as broad as an entire genre, or as specific as a single game. Then you write a review, post it to the appropriate game’s forum and create an item in the current contest’s geeklist with a link to your review. After the submission period closes on the 22nd of the next month, all submissions that meet the contest’s guidelines will be put to a popular vote (that is, a poll!), and the top 3 reviews will be awarded shiny, shiny geekgold, as well as an exclusive microbadge for 1st place! Details and links below.

How to Enter
1. Write a review that fits the current category (see below).
2. Submit it to the review forum of the reviewed game.
3. Once the review has been approved through geekmod (you will get a geekmail notification), post a link to your review as an item in this month’s review contest geeklist.

When to Enter
Submit your review to the contest geeklist by the 22nd each month. Allow a day or two for your review to be approved via geekmod!

How to Win (and Vote!)
The day after the contest closes, a poll will be posted for one week for anybody and everybody to vote for their favorite reviews after the closing of the submission period. Then the winner will be announced!

What You Can Win
All entrants: 2 just for entering in addition to earned via geekmod
1st place: 40 and an exclusive microbadge: mb
2nd place: 20
3rd place: 10

Good luck!

Review Qualifications
1. 500 words minimum
2. Ideally contains images (preferably use images from the game’s entry, then from your personal gallery, and external images with appropriate attribution as a last resort)
3. Review must be posted to Video Game Geek during the duration of the contest. Take into account the amount time it might take to get through geekmod. Reviews already on the site will not be accepted!
4. The review can't have been published anywhere (Geek or elsewhere) else before it is submitted to the contest.
5. Must fit within the contest’s category, broadly considered.
6. Winners must wait one contest period (i.e. one month) from their time of winning before submitting another entry.

Previous categories (no longer being updated as of September 2011)
Month - Category
Jan 2011 - Released (or re-released) in 2010
Feb 2011 - Unranked on VGG
Mar 2011 - Remastered
Apr 2011 - Fools
May 2011 - Co-op
Jun 2011 - RPGs
Jul 2011 - Strategy
Aug 2011 - Unreviewed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
"A single action or event is interesting, not because it is explainable, but because it is true." - Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
February 2011's category is: unranked on VGG

Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
won January 2011's contest with Creating the Universe, One Dragon at a Time. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
March 2011's category is: Remastered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
won February 2011's contest with Small Bad Game. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
March 2011's contest is open for voting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
April 2011's category is: fools, any game with at least one joke in it!

Thanks for the reminder, Matthijs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
and
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tied for first place in March 2011's contest with Serious Sam: The First Encounter HD - A Serious Remake? and Nico, George, and Falling Action: How a Potentially Great Game Went Awry respectively. Congratulations!

Don't forget to submit entries to April's contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
April 2011's contest is open for voting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May 2011's review category is: co-op, any game that two or more people can play cooperatively. Write, submit, vote... win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations
William Flickinger
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for winning April 2011's VGG review contest with Don't Panic: You're Graphics Card isn't Fried...You're Playing a Text Adventure!!

Be sure to check out the excellence of last month's entries.

And don't forget to enter May 2011's video game review contest for games with co-op modes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest Subscription Thread - MORE GG PRIZES ADDED!
I'm of the try-something-and-see-how-it-goes-and-then-fiddle-with-it school of doing things, and it's time for a fiddle. With 13 days remaining to enter this month's review contest (co-op games), additional prizes have been added!

Here are the updated awards:
All entrants: 2 just for entering in addition to earned via geekmod
1st place: 40 and an exclusive microbadge: mb
2nd place: 20
3rd place: 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest Subscription Thread - MORE GG PRIZES ADDED!
May 2011's contest (co-op) is open for voting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
June 2011's category is: RPGs, any game listed under the RPG, Action RPG, or Tactical RPG genres on VGG.

Write a review and post it to the geeklist!

Door prize: 2

SPECIAL PRIZE, THIS MONTH ONLY: mb or mb or mb to all entrants (your choice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to our 3 winners of May 2011's VGG review contest!

3rd Place - 10
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
with I shouldn't like this game...!

2nd Place - 20
ThirtyEighth
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(who is still wearing a "newuser" badge, even!) with Bubble Bobble!

1st place - 40 and mb
Larz Welo
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
with Hacking and Slashing to Victory!!

Don't forget to enter the current contest: Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest - June 2011 Category: RPGs - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest - June 2011 Category: RPGs - WINNERS ANNOUNCED! is open for voting!

Respond to the poll at the top of the geeklist by the end of June (in VGG time) to vote. 12 entries makes it the largest VGG review contest to date!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
July 2011's category is strategy, any game listed under the Strategy, Real Time Strategy, and/or 4x Strategy genres on VGG

The 2 door prize for every entry is part of the standard prize package from here on out, so this is the last time I'm going to mention it in the subscription thread.

But...
SPECIAL DOOR PRIZE, THIS MONTH ONLY: choice of mb or mb or mb

Another month with microbadge door prizes for every entrant! These offers won't last forever, so don't delay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you and congratulations to all contestants in June's review contest (RPGs)! We had a huge showing (12 reviews, the most we've seen yet!) spanning many types and eras of RPGs. Especial congratulations to the top 3 reviewers:

3rd Place
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wins 10 for A classic and unique RPG that can really draw you in (Betrayal at Krondor)

2nd Place
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wins 20 for Seriously, why aren't you playing Darkwind yet? A Review of Darkwind, the tactical turn-based car combat and racing game (Darkwind: War on Wheels)

1st Place
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wins 40 and mb for More than a KOS-MOS Crossover (Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an update on the microbadge door prizes for July 2011's strategy review contest, now that all 3 microbadges are available!

SPECIAL DOOR PRIZE, THIS MONTH ONLY: choice of mb or mb or mb

Also, a friendly reminder that the contest geeklists themselves, and not this thread, should be used for discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
July 2011's contest (strategy) is open for voting!

Another largest-contest-yet, with 15 entries!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August 2011's review contest category is unreviewed, any game any game that as of 7/23/2011 has not yet been reviewed on VGG. Submit your reviews now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who participated in July's review contest (strategy), and congratulations to the winners!

3rd Place
ThirtyEighth
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wins 10 for Highly polished (free) turn based strategy game: The Battle for Wesnoth Review!

2nd Place
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wins 20 for Dawn of War II: Action and Tactics with RPG Undercurrents!

1st Place
Derek Green
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wins 40 and mb for Live the Legend: A Review of Genghis Khan II for Genesis and SNES.!

Congratulations! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two announcements:

1) Go vote! Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest - August 2011 Category: Unreviewed - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

2) The review contest is on hiatus for the month of September, but will resume 9/22 under new management. Please discuss elsewhere, if you wish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wasserman
United States
Morgantown
WV
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all participants in Monthly Video Game Geek Review Contest - August 2011 Category: Unreviewed - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!, and congratulations to the top three!

3rd Place
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with SSG's Lost Game of Gold

2nd Place
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
with A stand out, definitive game

1st Place
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
with Swan Song for an Era

As a reminder, the monthly review contest will resume September 22nd under the auspices of
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
A hearty round of applause to the winners and to Mymil for setting up and running the competitions till now.

I'll do my best to live up to the high standards set by it may take me a little while to get into the swing of things so I apologise now for any mistakes I make . Fingers crossed eh.
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.