StarCraft
Braid
NFL 2K3
BurgerTime
The Black Mirror
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet
Scarface: The World is Yours
Street Sports Basketball
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter!
Sky Force
The Black Cauldron
Sub Battle Simulator
Big Brain Wolf
Atlantis Evolution
Journey (2012)
Card Hunter
Metro: Last Light
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Swords & Sorcery
Dominion Online
Elite: Dangerous
Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Don't Starve
Tomb Raider (2013)
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Lords of the Fallen
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
AI War: Vengeance of the Machine
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2512 Posts
[1]  Prev «  97 , 98 , 99 , 100 , 101  Next »  [101] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone here going to the UK Games Expo this month?

I'm attending for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Rudy and I are in a pretty constant stream of Jaipur/Hanging Gardens games that has just been rocking.

Indeed!
Quote:
It's more board games than I've played in ages. I'm getting crushed at Jaipur but I think I'm slightly ahead in Hanging Gardens (though this game is already too tight).

I feel like we are pretty even players, which is fantastic.

I've also been playing Stone Age with Andy on Yucata and really enjoying it. I am trying to learn to beat him with his strategy of only having 5 workers.

I've been playing Cacao plus Chocolatl expansion with my mom and having a really good time. We also play games regularly on Yucata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
I am in a game of Stone Age right now - I don't know if I like it yet, it has a very odd method of scoring and I can't decide if I think it's novel or overly abstract for the theme or what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Gloomhaven with friends this weekend and got 1/3 of the way closer to unlocking my next character! I have 2 more adventures to complete and then I retire my awesome Spellweaver and gain a new character I know nothing about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
I am in a game of Stone Age right now - I don't know if I like it yet, it has a very odd method of scoring and I can't decide if I think it's novel or overly abstract for the theme or what.

Do you just mean the Green civ cards, or the scoring as a whole? I've always liked stone age, but then again I only play it with a physical copy, which has the benefit of a beautifully-illustrated board and cave meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
ColdFrog wrote:

Do you just mean the Green civ cards, or the scoring as a whole? I've always liked stone age, but then again I only play it with a physical copy, which has the benefit of a beautifully-illustrated board and cave meeples.
Scoring overall? It's probably at least a bit weird because of playing on BGA, but I dunno.

I honestly think because it's a game I've never played live before I'm getting a lesser impression of it. The only game I've taken to immediately from only online play so far is Jaipur, and I think it's because it's so simple but tricky. (It reminds me a bit of the difficulty of the decisions you have to make in Lost Cities)

Stone age might just be not gripping me because it has a second layer of abstraction over an already kind of abstract game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Osirus wrote:
ColdFrog wrote:

Scoring overall? It's probably at least a bit weird because of playing on BGA, but I dunno.

I honestly think because it's a game I've never played live before I'm getting a lesser impression of it. The only game I've taken to immediately from only online play so far is Jaipur, and I think it's because it's so simple but tricky. (It reminds me a bit of the difficulty of the decisions you have to make in Lost Cities)

Stone age might just be not gripping me because it has a second layer of abstraction over an already kind of abstract game.

That makes sense to me. I'd recommend trying it in person instead of online! (If you teleport here, I have a copy.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I've also been playing Stone Age with Andy on Yucata and really enjoying it. I am trying to learn to beat him with his strategy of only having 5 workers.
I'm determined to beat you by not adding a single worker to my tribe... no matter how many you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Played Gloomhaven with friends this weekend and got 1/3 of the way closer to unlocking my next character! I have 2 more adventures to complete and then I retire my awesome Spellweaver and gain a new character I know nothing about!

I feel like this game would be my holy grail. Fallout has confirmed that I love adventure games, and reliving the dungeon crawler experience that HeroQuest introduced me so long ago is something that I've been looking for ever since. Well, at least since I got back into gaming.

But I don't think I'm ready for the game yet. I'll admit that I'm even a bit intimidated by it. I have this feat that I'll drop the $100 on the game, take one look at the manual and all the bits, go crosseyed and be frustrated that I can't figure out what to do.

It is on the wishlist now, however. At least that's a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I feel like this game would be my holy grail. Fallout has confirmed that I love adventure games, and reliving the dungeon crawler experience that HeroQuest introduced me so long ago is something that I've been looking for ever since. Well, at least since I got back into gaming.

But I don't think I'm ready for the game yet. I'll admit that I'm even a bit intimidated by it. I have this feat that I'll drop the $100 on the game, take one look at the manual and all the bits, go crosseyed and be frustrated that I can't figure out what to do.

While many play it solo, I think it is best when played with others since you'd have to control multiple characters to beat the scenarios. It is great! Even my husband who prefers Sci-fi to fantasy came around and loves the Scoundrel character. Though if I were you, I'd wait a bit so you could play with you daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

While many play it solo, I think it is best when played with others since you'd have to control multiple characters to beat the scenarios. It is great! Even my husband who prefers Sci-fi to fantasy came around and loves the Scoundrel character. Though if I were you, I'd wait a bit so you could play with you daughter.

Definitely. After all, she's going to be the one teaching you how to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

That's the plan! At some point in the "nearer" future I'll break out the old copy of HeroQuest to "test the waters", and see if it's even a genre she might like. Knowing her however, I think she'll like it. She's definitely, absolutely turning into a gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Oh, 100% true. She's already calling me out whenever I miss rules in Fallout. Even some of the fairly obscure stuff.

Kiddo: "Ehhhhhhh, daddy? You forgot to get your "Well Rested" token after taking your camp action."

Me: "...you're right. How do you remember this? You're only 5..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Oh, 100% true. She's already calling me out whenever I miss rules in Fallout. Even some of the fairly obscure stuff.

Kiddo: "Ehhhhhhh, daddy? You forgot to get your "Well Rested" token after taking your camp action."

Me: "...you're right. How do you remember this? You're only 5..."

Wait, she's 5 already? My daughter is also 5. Have I made this realization before?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Wait, she's 5 already? My daughter is also 5. Have I made this realization before?

Yea, I think so. I know they're very close in age - I distinctly remember your announcement on VGG, probably because of how close it was to my daughters birthday.

That wasn't long after I started getting all chatty around here. Crazy that was already 5 years ago.

Now I feel old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a boardgame but an insane story of yesterdays rpg session.

So back to CoC this week. We had somehting else planned but since one player wasn't able to make it we postponed that to a later date. Wondering what to run we still had a adventure that wasn't completed in CoC, from the Mansions of Madness set: The sanitarium.

We have two players: an elderly psycholigist and his stuntwoman granddaughter. They already did some adventures together even with grandad's very low sanity. In this case the last time they where invited on a psychiatrists remote island on which on arrival they found patients roaming around and staff killed. Now they had to find out what happened.

Turned out one patiented released a creature through a portal and that had controlled a male nurse that was now killing people to feed to the monster. After some kills they needed to stop the killer and confronted him. It turned out to an axe fight between the killer and the granddaughter. Grandad joined in with a shovel but had a -2 damage bonus.

In the end granddad got killed and this is where everything became very weird. For seeing her granddad being slaughtered she delivered a killing blow to the killer and due to the sanity loss of the dead of grandfather she went temporarely insane. A reandom roll turned out: strange sexual desires and this resultated in teratophilia. Which we needed to google to learn was: a sexual attraction to monsters. You know like the one she wanted to go kill right after the fight to get revenge for her dead grandfather.

So she went to the hiding place, forced her way in and tried to seduce the monster. The monster backed off, because a bit earlier she picked up an elder sign medallion and had put this in her pocket (and forgot about it). We then got into a strange situation in which she tried to throw herself to the monster and the monster ran away. This left her feeling a bit turned down by the monster. The monster ran away, she ran after it and catched it. Now the creature defended itself with it's pseudopods and delivered a killing blow to his greatest admirer.

We ended with a tpk but a great story!

As a GM I always wonder, is it only our party that gets into this kind of situations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
A reandom roll turned out: strange sexual desires and this resultated in teratophilia. Which we needed to google to learn was: a sexual attraction to monsters.

I'm more disturbed by the fact that there's actually a name for this disorder! I mean, how...er, at what point were there even enough cases of this that some headshrinker decided there should be a name for it...or...hm.

On second thought, I'm not sure I want to know any more about this. Carry on! LoL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
I'm determined to beat you by not adding a single worker to my tribe... no matter how many you have!

You are really good with just 5 guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I am with you on this. I really want to play this game but lack of time and players have prevented me from purchasing it... so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have any of my boardgames packed to move. I don't think I'll sell any after all, because unlike RPGs you can't get a digital version that you can actually use to play on its own. VASSAL's unspoken assumption is that if you are going to use it someone tied to the game owns a hardcopy. Thus I have games I haven't punched that I bought simply to play on VASSAL. Now if only I could find an opponent for Unconditional Surrender! or Europe Engulfed. I won't have time to actually play anything online until after I move, but it's a nice thought that someday I might find an opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
As a GM I always wonder, is it only our party that gets into this kind of situations?

Definitely not just your group! My CoC and Eclipse Phase (First Edition) groups gets into crazy escapades of a similar nature...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few games of Azul using the BACK side of the player board with the blank wall. So instead of the wall dictating where I can place each type of tile, I make it up on the fly. It still has to have the 'sudoku' characteristics, i.e. each row and column must only contain five unique tiles. This extra challenge has been fun so far! Heartily recommend to Azul veterans. Watch your carefully crafted plans crumble and fall!

Also my h-index is up to 19!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea whether Portland's just famous shop Guardian Games will participate in International Tabletop Day and Free RPG Day festivities next month under their new ownership, but I am going there for Tabletop Day anyway for aFlames of War training game set in North Africa. I've played the game once and liked it despite being poor at keeping my tanks alive.

I'll never really get into a miniatures game, of course, due to the cost of entry. For FoW, for example, you need to buy tanks and infantry figures and study how the nation you bought is more effective to be good at the game. I could get into a naval game, though, if the rules are simple enough and counters can be substituted for ships. Victory at Sea; Age of Dreadnoughts is the top candidate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I have no idea whether Portland's just famous shop Guardian Games will participate in International Tabletop Day and Free RPG Day festivities next month under their new ownership, but I am going there for Tabletop Day anyway for aFlames of War training game set in North Africa. I've played the game once and liked it despite being poor at keeping my tanks alive.

I'll never really get into a miniatures game, of course, due to the cost of entry. For FoW, for example, you need to buy tanks and infantry figures and study how the nation you bought is more effective to be good at the game. I could get into a naval game, though, if the rules are simple enough and counters can be substituted for ships. Victory at Sea; Age of Dreadnoughts is the top candidate.

You could call and ask?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

You could call and ask?

You know, it's been around seemingly forever, but I don't have their phone number handy. Weird, right?

They do have a current calendar on their website that does not mention wither observance. And the store was sold recently so the owners could move on to new challenges. I don't know yet whether anything will change (and publicly, at least, the new owner seems to be taking a cautious approach).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  97 , 98 , 99 , 100 , 101  Next »  [101] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.