Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
I have no idea whether Portland's just famous shop Guardian Games will participate in International Tabletop Day and Free RPG Day festivities next month under their new ownership, but I am going there for Tabletop Day anyway for aFlames of War training game set in North Africa. I've played the game once and liked it despite being poor at keeping my tanks alive.

I'll never really get into a miniatures game, of course, due to the cost of entry. For FoW, for example, you need to buy tanks and infantry figures and study how the nation you bought is more effective to be good at the game. I could get into a naval game, though, if the rules are simple enough and counters can be substituted for ships. Victory at Sea; Age of Dreadnoughts is the top candidate.

You could call and ask?

You know, it's been around seemingly forever, but I don't have their phone number handy. Weird, right?

They do have a current calendar on their website that does not mention wither observance. And the store was sold recently so the owners could move on to new challenges. I don't know yet whether anything will change (and publicly, at least, the new owner seems to be taking a cautious approach).

The phone number is on their website, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got Ghost Stories to the table last night when some friends came over, and got absolutely trounced, on the easiest level. Still haven't unlocked the secrets to doing well in that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really hoping to get SOMETHING to the table over the long weekend. We should be able to, especially as it seems we are in for some rough weather a few times throughout the weekend. What we'll play will also largely depend on where we end up.

If the weather over the weekend looks like it's mostly good, we'll probably be up in the Adirondacks for a couple days. If that's the case, I'll throw a few smaller games in the bag for the evening or if it's raining - One Deck Dungeon or Forbidden Island would be perfect.

If the weekend looks like it's going to be a washout, we'll probably stay home, and I'll finally get to try out Axis & Allies: D-Day, which is already set up in the basement and patiently waiting to be played.

Good weekend for games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are planning to visit some family over the weekend, and there's been talk of folks wanting to try Power Grid after a couple of us mentioned how competitive we were with it. Hopefully that comes to fruition. I might bring a cooperative game as well to balance things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Really hoping to get SOMETHING to the table over the long weekend. We should be able to, especially as it seems we are in for some rough weather a few times throughout the weekend. What we'll play will also largely depend on where we end up.

If the weather over the weekend looks like it's mostly good, we'll probably be up in the Adirondacks for a couple days. If that's the case, I'll throw a few smaller games in the bag for the evening or if it's raining - One Deck Dungeon or Forbidden Island would be perfect.

If the weekend looks like it's going to be a washout, we'll probably stay home, and I'll finally get to try out Axis & Allies: D-Day, which is already set up in the basement and patiently waiting to be played.

Good weekend for games!

Well, it's supposed to rain here on Sat. evening (with thunderstorms), but you should be good otherwise.

I tried to get Crisis at Steamfall played for the first time the other day, but was just too brain burnt that I only got through punching it out and reading half the rules before I decided to just go lay down instead.

Hopefully I can play something Monday if not sooner. Need to pair that unplayed list back down.

I did have a good time at our local event last Sat. playing/teaching Potion Explosion, some Shadowrun 5E, and I learned a couple new games too: Megaland and Hobbe Manor from a local designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
jdw734 wrote:
Got Ghost Stories to the table last night when some friends came over, and got absolutely trounced, on the easiest level. Still haven't unlocked the secrets to doing well in that game!

Such a fun game to play with people(1) who "must know all things" because of how fun in a totally mean way it is to mount the curve. We had friends out last fall who just about missed their flight home because we all wanted to try just one more time.

1- me included
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have an opinion about paid reviews?
I'd love to hear your opinions on this blog post I made. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking it out now, Raymond!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:

We love Ghost Stories. Get beaten a lot as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping to play some relaxing games of Spirit of the Wilds tonight. It's been a slow past couple of months for face-to-face games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
jdw734 wrote:

We love Ghost Stories. Get beaten a lot as well.

I've almost got 100 plays, and still loose far more often than I win. Here a few hints, for what they're worth:

* Try to position Buddahs at the corners of the village.
* Watch hauntings carefully! They are by far the easiest way to lose the game.
* Don't forget that Monks occupying the same square can make use of one another's colored tokens.
* The tea shop is almost never worth it.
* For yellow, the weakening mantra is generally better than bottomless pockets, until the very end of the game.
* Pavillion of the winds / Red's ability to move ghosts can be vital when combined with Buddahs.

That's all I've got off the top of my head. I really need to finish my Century for this game. Some day...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Hoping to play some relaxing games of Spirit of the Wild tonight. It's been a slow past couple of months for face-to-face games.
Is that the one where Link explores a large map looking for shrines and his weapons break every 30 seconds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to play Cacao (with Chocolatl) and Spirits of the Wild with mom tonight. It was good to get some games in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me, my wife, and my two oldest boys all played Talisman 4th edition the other night. Main board only, with adventure cards and characters from all expansions included. My boys (age 8 and 10) LOVED it and say it is their new favorite game. My 8 year old ended up winning the game, having headed straight for the Crown as soon as he had 8 or 9 strength and a talisman. They liked it so much that they went ahead and set up the game and played it by themselves the next day, this time adding a board expansion. Talisman is one of my favorite games, so it's fun to see them enjoy it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Me, my wife, and my two oldest boys all played Talisman 4th edition the other night. Main board only, with adventure cards and characters from all expansions included. My boys (age 8 and 10) LOVED it and say it is their new favorite game. My 8 year old ended up winning the game, having headed straight for the Crown as soon as he had 8 or 9 strength and a talisman. They liked it so much that they went ahead and set up the game and played it by themselves the next day, this time adding a board expansion. Talisman is one of my favorite games, so it's fun to see them enjoy it so much.

I love Talisman. You're raising those kids right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of Dixit last night. Not a game I enjoy, but a lot of other people do including wife and daughter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Since just a few pages back we were talking about the Axis and Allies game, I thought it worth pointing out that Coolstuff is selling the Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition for half price. Not a bad deal for a great version of the game if anyone is looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
Since just a few pages back we were talking about the Axis and Allies game, I thought it worth pointing out that Coolstuff is selling the Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition for half price. Not a bad deal for a great version of the game if anyone is looking.
That's a good price ($50ish). I also noticed that the A&A 1941 edition is on sale at Walmart and Target is on sale right now for $15, if you want a very light version of Axis and Allies (it doesn't feel as well balanced or tightly designed as the normal editions, but it has a lot less units and spaces so it plays a lot faster).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeaaaaa, so I never got around to actually playing any board games this weekend. I finished setting up D-Day, but never actually played it.

...OH! That's not exactly true! I played Stratego with my daughter yesterday! I almost forgot! I'm not a (total) disappointment to boardgamegeek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the topic of Stratego:

It's been indescribably fun watching her learn how to play games, and experiment with different strategies while playing.

For example, during out Stratego game yesterday, she set up bombs on the flanks of her front row, only leaving the central "path" opened up for her to advance. In addition, she loaded up her "center" with her stronger pieces, unknowingly (or knowingly, I'm not really sure) "funneling" all my pieces into a "kill zone" in the center of the board. It was brilliant.

She also laughed like a maniac when my scouts went ker-blooey attacking the bombs in the front row.

I love that kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
This was posted in the most recent PnP news and I thought this might be the crowd who would want to see it: Persona 5: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Over the past month an old(ish) friend of mine and I discovered we both really appreciated Hanafuda/Koi-Koi and have basically been playing it constantly since then. It's not objectively a good game (lots relies on randomness, though you can mitigate that a little depending on strategy as well as what rules you use), but the art and evocativeness of the game really makes it stand apart from any other card-based game.

Essentially, there are 12 seasons (each marked by a specific plant type), each of which contains four cards of a variety of plain, ribbon, animal or bright cards (not equally distributed, all suits have 2 plains and two other cards), and play is essentially matching them until you get one of a variety of sets.

There's not much to it, but by being far less abstract about what you are getting it evokes more excitement than raw numbers (in my opinion anyway).

Here's a picture of the full deck:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
On the topic of Stratego:

It's been indescribably fun watching her learn how to play games, and experiment with different strategies while playing.

For example, during out Stratego game yesterday, she set up bombs on the flanks of her front row, only leaving the central "path" opened up for her to advance. In addition, she loaded up her "center" with her stronger pieces, unknowingly (or knowingly, I'm not really sure) "funneling" all my pieces into a "kill zone" in the center of the board. It was brilliant.

She also laughed like a maniac when my scouts went ker-blooey attacking the bombs in the front row.

I love that kid.
If you like Stratego you should check out Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, which uses the same basic idea, and is a brilliant little 2p game. I love it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Played a game of Dixit last night. Not a game I enjoy, but a lot of other people do including wife and daughter.
I've moved to using a scoring variant for this:
- Storyteller gets 0 if everyone or no one guessed right, otherwise 2 + 1 per correct guesser.
- Everyone else gets 2 for a correct guess + 1 for everyone who voted for their card.
Feels better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost picked up the Kickstarter reprint of Egizia: Shifting Sands for US$39, until I discovered the postage was going to be US$45. Sucks to live in NZ sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  98 , 99 , 100 , 101 , 102  Next »  [102] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.