Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played some games on TTD with friends.
Batman Gotham City Chronicles. Cool, but if you don't know the game yet, you'll lose. For a full coop game I have no issues with that, but for a game where 1 player plays the bad guy, it's unfair. You have X turns to complete certain objectives, and you really need to hurry, and take risks. I had less issues with it playing Imperial Assault or Descent. This was enjoyable though, but I'm selling my copy.

Railroad Ink. Fun little roll'n'write, it's nice to draw roads and rails. Very multiplayer solitaire though.

Quodd Heroes. Fun, beautiful, but VERY chaotic. You can plan things/movement, but ultimately, things change so often, just plan your current turn, and leave it at that. Very random. Fun nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
If you like Stratego you should check out Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, which uses the same basic idea, and is a brilliant little 2p game. I love it so much.

Oh man, this could be a cool progression for her too. Thanks for the recommendation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter for the Company of Heroes board game is live and funded. I'm likely going to back this one. It's very expensive though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
The Kickstarter for the Company of Heroes board game is live and funded. I'm likely going to back this one. It's very expensive though!

Elaborate on "expensive".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

$100 for the base set, and you'll probably want more than that, so $150 I think it was for everything I'm going to want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

$100 for the base set, and you'll probably want more than that, so $150 I think it was for everything I'm going to want.

Holy crap. That's expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
If you like Stratego you should check out Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation, which uses the same basic idea, and is a brilliant little 2p game. I love it so much.

Oh man, this could be a cool progression for her too. Thanks for the recommendation!
Just want to come in and second this recommendation. It really pares down the experience to a tighter game even though it also adds some special rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Holy crap. That's expensive.

yeah but it's got mini tanks and stuff. I want it. I want it all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

I just made the mistake of looking at the pretty pictures over on BGG. Now I kindof want it. But Axis & Allies: D-Day is still just sitting on my table unplayed, so I'm really not in a position to argue that I need a new game already.

Although on the topic of D-Day, I could just argue that I was waiting until tomorrow to play. That does seem a remarkably fitting (although total BS) excuse.

What the hell, that's my excuse. I was waiting to play D-Day ON D-Day. Once in a lifetime experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
...stay tuned for my imminent post on June 7th where I make excuses for why I didn't play D-Day on June 6th!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I just made the mistake of looking at the pretty pictures over on BGG. Now I kindof want it. But Axis & Allies: D-Day is still just sitting on my table unplayed, so I'm really not in a position to argue that I need a new game already.

Although on the topic of D-Day, I could just argue that I was waiting until tomorrow to play. That does seem a remarkably fitting (although total BS) excuse.

What the hell, that's my excuse. I was waiting to play D-Day ON D-Day. Once in a lifetime experience.

I'll buy it and bring it along with me when I come visit you, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

Sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Sweet.

Next possibility appears to be September, as I'll be traveling to my sister's wedding. Last time we ran out of time, which was entirely not Seth's fault, but very much my family's fault for needing time to stretch, heh. Hopefully we can be more accurate on the time out of car picture this trip and can schedule in a stop. Of course, COH won't be out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Sweet.

Next possibility appears to be September, as I'll be traveling to my sister's wedding. Last time we ran out of time, which was entirely not Seth's fault, but very much my family's fault for needing time to stretch, heh. Hopefully we can be more accurate on the time out of car picture this trip and can schedule in a stop. Of course, COH won't be out yet.

If you need someone to blame for your poor timing, you're welcome to stop by again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a visit yesterday fro0m Allen Dickerson. Allen is a graphic artist who as a hobby converts board games into VASSAL modules for online play/PBEM. GMT Games comes to him often to convert wargames they develop and publish. I heard some fascinating "war stories", most notably about a time when a designer of a Stalingrad game (who he knew from Facebook) insisted on making the primary backdrop color for his German counters a vomit-inducing shade of fluorescent green and they got into an argument over the historicity. When he described it, the problem struck me as not of historicity but of aesthetics. Ugly counters speak very ill of a game, especially in these times where the production values of boardgames in all genres have gotten so high.

We also discovered we were both wargame purists enough that we still find a lot of use for the old NATO symbols that were the standard for wargame counters for decades. You could precisely tell the type of unit by the symbol on the counter. And while at the time it was limits of printing that virtually dictated this, there are still some advantages to it today in that they make counters easier to understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
...stay tuned for my imminent post on June 7th where I make excuses for why I didn't play D-Day on June 6th!

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, I did not play D-Day on June 6th.

See Jay? I don't even play games with myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, I did not play D-Day on June 6th.

See Jay? I don't even play games with myself!

You didn't need to tell us that. We knew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game last night. We had a ton of fun. We didn't do too great, but it was a blast anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of solo games this last week:

10 plays of The Lost Expedition
10 plays of Pulp Detective (with five plays including: Pulp Detective: Expansion 1)

Both were a lot of fun for me - 15-30 minute games where most of the time I failed miserably! But I like them both!

The Lost Expedition is all randomness from cards, and features lots of cool ways to die.

Pulp Detective is all randomness from dice, and generates gritty pulp stories where the protagonist (you) often lose as the villain gets away.

Thematically for me, they both work very well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

10 plays of Pulp Detective (with five plays including: Pulp Detective: Expansion 1)

Both were a lot of fun for me - 15-30 minute games where most of the time I failed miserably! But I like them both!

The Lost Expedition is all randomness from cards, and features lots of cool ways to die.

Pulp Detective is all randomness from dice, and generates gritty pulp stories where the protagonist (you) often lose as the villain gets away.

Those sound like interesting experiences. I need to check those out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Those sound like interesting experiences. I need to check those out.

I love Todd Sanders' games - so of course I supported him when Pulp Detective went to Kickstarter. It started as a print-and-play game for one of the contests on BGG.

I'm actually working on making a mini-version of The Lost Expedition over in this thread: [WIP] A Limited Excursion {Project Shrinko}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like the fact that some video games have board game versions too. I am extremely happy that Crusader Kings was made into a game via Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  98 , 99 , 100 , 101 , 102  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.