Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2596 Posts
[1]  Prev «  100 , 101 , 102 , 103 , 104  Next »  [104] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
vyran wrote:
You don't bring in anything from Season 1 as far as I know, which is disappointing. Even having a callback to characters named in S1 would be nice.

Oh man, that's disappointing. I haven't played Season 2 yet, but I loved Season 1 and was hoping we'd be able to continue the adventure, so to speak.

It didn't mention anything during the prologue at least, but it's possible that something comes up at the real start of the game or somewhere later down the line. If it does, I'll find out when the group gets to that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Played 30 Rails with mom last night. It's a free pnp that is almost exactly like Railroad Ink. I put the game sheets in one of those clear sleeves for binders and used erasable markers to play. I somehow managed to screw up my stations so that they only connected to the mine and not any other station. It's impressive really. Looking forward to playing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to a local games day yesterday and got to break in my copies of Century: Spice Road (which I'd played once before) and Orléans (which I hadn't).

I enjoyed Century: Spice Road quite a bit; grabbing engine pieces on the fly and trying to efficiently transform your stuff to hit the moving targets of the VP cards is engaging. The other players (it was new to a couple of them) seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, too.

I'm glad to have got Orleans to the table, and I'll be happy to play it again, but I was a little frustrated on first play that although you have several places to go at the start of the game, it seems to be essential to do a specific one or two of them repeatedly to begin with, regardless of what your ultimate strategy is going to be (the one guy who had played before kind of crushed us). To be fair, I'm not sure how it would be possible to change the game to alleviate this problem. Overall, the flow of the game seems good, though I expect I'll enjoy it more when I don't keep coming to the realization that I need certain things just at the point when the supply of those things is running out.

I also got to play Wingspan for the first time. It's not a must-buy for me, but the game was enjoyable enough, and there were some thematic bits that showed up more strongly than what I was expecting from what I'd heard of the game. (I suppose it didn't hurt that I won the game, though mostly I backed into something of a combo halfway through).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently acquired Azul Glass of Sintra and Pandemic Fall of Rome. The board is the least interesting of them all but it plays good. Azul is already a great hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played Azul for the fist time. Not bad I must say but I don't feel the need to rush out and get a copy for myself. I did play it again this afternoon. Did enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger in a Barnes & Noble while I was out of town yesterday. It caught my eye since it looks just like the Choose your own adventure books I used to read as a kid. Not sure how good it is, but I think it would be fun to play. It's in stock -- and cheaper -- at Target near me. I might pick that up and check it out this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
I recently played Azul for the fist time. Not bad I must say but I don't feel the need to rush out and get a copy for myself. I did play it again this afternoon. Did enjoy it.

I find Azul is great when you are tired and want to unwind. It's a nice light game to play as my day comes to an end, and that's when I'll most often play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my sis over for a bbq and my son wanted to play a game with her, so he pulled out Kingdomino. We introduced her to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up House of Danger today. Excited to give it a go tomorrow. It's broken up into individual chapters, each of which is to be played in its own session. I'm hoping it's good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
I bought the new Fireball Island, since it's on sale. I need more board games I can play with my young nieces and nephews, so I am hoping this is a hit with them. I should be trying it out tonight with my parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I bought the new Fireball Island, since it's on sale. I need more board games I can play with my young nieces and nephews, so I am hoping this is a hit with them. I should be trying it out tonight with my parents.

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

...I'm going to need an after action report on this one, Tick. It's been on my wishlist for awhile now, because I think my daughter would love it. Okay, and I'd probably like it too. She likes games where you explore and find treasure, and especially games with lots of "bits". This hits all the criteria.

Where did you end up picking it up? On sale anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy of 7th continent a few days back, and am looking forward to trying it. Strangely enough, I'm rather tepid about it, and half critical. I don't know if this will scratch the itch, but some small things tell me that it might. If not, I guess it will be easy enough to sell second hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the expansion for The 7th Continent and we've already played the beginner mission that comes with it!

We love the game, and are very much looking forward to playing through all of the expansion content.

It's very much like a CYOA, where you are expected to die a lot, and it helps if you remember where things are on the cards for the next time you play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:

Amazon It's down to $37. That's still expensive but I had 5 dollars off sitting on my account that I added to it that helped me pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

Amazon It's down to $37. That's still expensive but I had 5 dollars off sitting on my account that I added to it that helped me pull the trigger.

Ooooooooooo, that might be within my range. Thanks for the heads up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Played Fireball Island three times. It's light and fun and I am very happy with my purchase. I think the kids are going to have a good time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like light and fun - thanks for the follow up Rudy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost bought Fireball Island on Amazon yesterday, myself, even though I already own and love the original. It's back up to $60+ now, though. Seems that it was only on sale for a day or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, just learned that I've been playing a rule in Fallout wrong, which made the game considerably more difficult. Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I wish that there be a board game fancied after the video game Skies of Arcadia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two nights, two games of my newly acquired (via trade) copy of Kingdom Builder. It had been over a year since my one and only play, and first reports are that it is indeed a worthy addition to the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two first plays at games night on Thursday.

NEOM - a game I just bought after seeing Rahdo do a run-through of it. It's like 7 Wonders crossed with Quadropolis, but better than both. Plays quickly too. Our first game was within the time it says on the box. That never happens!

Kingdom Builder - I had been looking at this for a while and finally found the second edition of the Big Box (with all for expansions and some Queenies too). A very simple game but very tactical and each play is different as the victory conditions constantly change. The expansions add a lot extra but I don't think we'll need them for a while. I can see this getting a lot of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's was a great holiday weekend for board games. Let's see...

Survive
Fireball Island: Vul-kar
Istanbul
Klask
Dice Throne
Legendary Encounters: Predator
Betrayal at house on the hill
Gunfighter
Azul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
It's was a great holiday weekend for board games. Let's see...

Indeed! Evan I managed to get a few in. Played One Deck Dungeon with kiddo on Saturday and Sunday. We even managed to defeat one of the bosses (although as per usual, I did get a couple rules wrong which made the game easier for us for awhile, but whatever - I think the error probably made the game more "accessible" for her, so it worked out in the end).

Immediately after we finished our game, kiddo immediately wanted to play a game of Stratego with my wife while I made supper.

...and kiddo legitimately won. I'm creating a monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neighbors brought down new hotness Tiny Towns over the weekend. Sort of a cross between Welcome To... and Agricola maybe? Each turn, one player calls one of five or six different resources, and EVERYONE takes that resources and places it on a 4x4 personal grid. When certain patterns of resources are made on your grid, you take off the resources and place a building. The seven buildings in the offer score points in various ways. Upon the first play, two neat things:

1. Simultaneous action. There is essentially no down time, all action, all the time.
2. Tough and dynamic puzzle. As you map out what you want to build, the other players may thwart your carefully crafted plans by not calling the resources you want. It can be tough to adjust on the fly. There will be blunders!

Overall, pretty easy to explain, quick to play. By nature, it's fairly multiplayer solitaire, even though there's the potential for 'hate drafting' you're gonna call what you need as opposed to what others don't need. Besides, spending time looking at other player boards calculating what they're going for would add a lot of time to this game when it's not needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  100 , 101 , 102 , 103 , 104  Next »  [104] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.