Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2596 Posts
[1]  Prev «  100 , 101 , 102 , 103 , 104  | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on vacation with the family next week. Wife, kiddo, mother in law staying at a house in Cape Cod for a week. My parents will be at a B & B nearby for half a week.

Bringing a couple small games along with me for evenings at the house, or if we get a rainy day. One Deck Dungeon and Forbidden Island definitely coming along, but I'd like to find a new game to bring as well.

I was thinking about picking up The Oregon Trail Card Game because it seems to be a pretty lightweight game in a small package (with a theme I'd be interested in), but after reading the negative reviews...I'm starting to have second thoughts, and am looking for something else now.

I would love something thematic, accessible (not too heavy), and ideally...not too large, but I'm coming up short. I REALLY want to play Merchants & Marauders or Lewis & Clark, but both are way too heavy and too large for this trip. I think Jaws would have been perfect given where we'll be in New England...but it's not out yet, so that's out.

So yea, I'm still looking. I'm looking up the BGG filters for "pirate" games or anything else with a nautical theme. There's gotta be something out there.

Suggestions / Recommendations welcome! Might have to create a post over on the BGG side for thoughts.

Edit: ...and I did!

Small, Lightweight Family Game for a Beach Vacation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played The 7th Continent: What Goes Up, Must Come Down and started a new curse! We saved at a point where we're rafting underground on an evil river of pink slime - it's epic! We're also not dead yet... but we're not doing too great either, since we kept running into Devourers... (and I tried to befriend them... which didn't go so well for my husband's character... at least he doesn't hold grudges!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
We played The 7th Continent: What Goes Up, Must Come Down and started a new curse! We saved at a point where we're rafting underground on an evil river of pink slime - it's epic!

...is it me, or is this shamelessly stolen from the plot of Ghostbusters 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 7th Continent some week ago, and played for 3.5 hours before we saved. I won't say this is an awesome game, but it's truly the game for me. I enjoyed myself to a perfect degree – not too intensive, but always engaging. No combat, just exploring and snooping around, like a collective choose-your-own-adventure. It was exciting and we're doing pretty well. I think we have only 6 cards in the discards – we managed an effective combo of making a basket (you could have 3 extra items in it) and combine it with 3 fishes – we ended up with a fish-basket with a durability of 4, and used it 4 times by a campfire, returning 5 cards for each fish, just before we saved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
I was thinking about picking up The Oregon Trail Card Game because it seems to be a pretty lightweight game in a small package (with a theme I'd be interested in), but after reading the negative reviews...I'm starting to have second thoughts, and am looking for something else now.
The Oregon Trail Card Game is overly long, hard to win, luckfest, & nostalgic game. The only reason I own it is because my husband insisted on getting it even though my friend already has it. I've played my copy all of once when I went back to visit family.

In other news, my husband and I stopped by a gaming cafe Sat. on our way back up from my cousin's wedding. The menu was very nice, and they even had mead, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

Gaming is free for the first hour. I picked out Fairytale Gloom for us to play and we tied laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
We played The 7th Continent: What Goes Up, Must Come Down and started a new curse! We saved at a point where we're rafting underground on an evil river of pink slime - it's epic!

...is it me, or is this shamelessly stolen from the plot of Ghostbusters 2?

Now, a day later, that is 100% what I feel it is going for - at the time, it seemed more like a mix of the darkstone from Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients plus the minecart chase sequence from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom... but honestly, it's probably a mix of all of those!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
The Oregon Trail Card Game is overly long, hard to win, luckfest, & nostalgic game. The only reason I own it is because my husband insisted on getting it even though my friend already has it. I've played my copy all of once when I went back to visit family.

Yeaaaaaa, that was pretty much the impression I got from reading the reviews and playthrough reports. Appreciate your feedback!

flaeryn wrote:
In other news, my husband and I stopped by a gaming cafe Sat. on our way back up from my cousin's wedding. The menu was very nice, and they even had mead, which I was pleasantly surprised about.

That reminds me - one of the wineries around here makes a mead. I need to try that again. I think it's Montezuma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
flaeryn wrote:

That reminds me - one of the wineries around here makes a mead. I need to try that again. I think it's Montezuma.
Yes! I actually went to their tasting room a few years ago when we went through the Finger Lakes for wine tasting after visiting the Renaissance Faire further north (I actually probably still have a couple bottles of their wines).

There's actually a few wineries around the Finger Lakes that also have mead, but we only had time to go down one of the lakes. Eventually we'll probably make another trip out there and go another way to try out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
I'm on vacation with the family next week. Wife, kiddo, mother in law staying at a house in Cape Cod for a week. My parents will be at a B & B nearby for half a week.

Bringing a couple small games along with me for evenings at the house, or if we get a rainy day. One Deck Dungeon and Forbidden Island definitely coming along, but I'd like to find a new game to bring as well.

So I did end up pulling the trigger on a new game, but ended up going in a different direction than I originally planned.

Placed an Amazon order for Warfighter: The WWII Tactical Combat Card Game, should be arriving in a couple days. It's been on my radar for awhile now (along with several other Dan Verssen Games (DVG) games), and I like the idea of having a "dedicated" solitaire game in the collection. Plus, I like WW2.

On that token, it'll be coming with us to the Cape, along with:

One Deck Dungeon: Kiddo is really into this one lately, and it's small!

Forbidden Island: Same reasons as above.

Pandemic: I know, similar to Forbidden Island, but might be a fun game for Jess (the wife) to get into.

And if there's room:

Dominion: I haven't played this as much as I would have liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of weeks ago I decided to pick up Spirit Island, based on recommendations from a couple of people and the fact that it shows up rather a lot on some of the solitaire gaming geeklists. I've played about a dozen times now, mostly against the introductory level, just getting introduced to each of the different spirits.

I finally got around to taking one of the simpler spirits (Vital Strength of the Earth) up against an Adversary (base-level Brandenburg-Prussia). I wrote up a full blow-by-blow here, but the TLDR (and I apologize for the lack of any sort of diagrams) is that although this level very clearly has the game doing more than the intro level, I am enough ahead of the curve that I was able to turn the corner and round up the invaders with some time to spare. Hopefully the jungle had its hunger sated.

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit so far. In some ways it reminds me of Into the Breach: use one of eight disparate sets of tools to stave off invasion, while gaining new abilities over the course of the game, with some amount of tactical ability being useful to best combine available abilities during the conflict(s). Of course, the arcs of the games are a bit different, since Spirit Island is just one long battle rather than a number of bite-sized ones, and it offers more difficulty adjustment than ItB. There's also the prospect of multi-handed solo to look forward to, which I'm hoping to get to after making sure I have my footing on this difficulty level.

With luck, I'll also be able to play multiplayer with co-workers soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
I got four games sitting in my Amazon cart because of Prime day: Quest for El Dorado, Imhotep, Castles of Burgundy, and 7 Wonders: Duel. I think I will spend most of the day trying to talk myself down to just two games. Any of you have any input on these games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a fan of Spirit Island after my one play, but glad you are enjoying it!

Rudy, I've played three of those four.
El Dorado: Serviceable. Worth it on a deal. Deck Building and race game, kind of like Clank! but easier. I would mostly happily play this again.
CoB: I don't have much interest in Feldian games, but I've played this once. Very multiplayer solitaire, everything you do earns you points type of game. It's a pass for me, but I fully admit I am not its target audience. This game always seems to be pretty cheap, so I'm not sure how much of a deal you're getting here. I would still play if I had to.
7WD: Lots of fun at first, then after a bit the whole set up felt gimmicky. After about a dozen plays, I was done. I'd still play it with an enthusiastic opponent. Note there are lots of quality games in the 2 player card game department.

I don't own, nor plan on owning, any of these games, but I would like to try Imhotep! Good luck with your decisions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I got four games sitting in my Amazon cart because of Prime day: Quest for El Dorado, Imhotep, Castles of Burgundy, and 7 Wonders: Duel. I think I will spend most of the day trying to talk myself down to just two games. Any of you have any input on these games?
The only one of these I've played is The Castles of Burgundy, and it's a solid game, though I prefer games with more theme. It's currently ranked #96 on my geeklist of my top board games, and I had this to say about it:
Quote:
A nice puzzley Euro game, though it does tend on the long side with four players.

I've heard good things about 7 Wonders Duel. I like 7 Wonders well enough though I hardly play it anymore, but I don't really play 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:

I LOVE CoB.

Granted, it does run a bit long on the table, even at 2 players. There is a bit of up-keep. Most of our games have been online.

You might want to wait for the anniversary edition coming soon, or go for a good deal on the old, when it hits the market.

I would agree, to an extent about solitaire MP, but you cannot discount what the other player(s) do. If you are both going for the same category of tiles, then it might be worth considering your own approach.

If you want to try before buy, both CoB and Imhotep are available to play for free on yucata.de - though be prepared for a site that is dated in UI, but has a lot of great games to play.

Hit me up, if you like. Username Taibi, as here.

PS: I really enjoy Imhotep, but I am really bad at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:

Having played all four of them, I would rank them in ascending order:

Imhotep: eminently skippable, IMO. There are big wooden blocks unnecessarily, and the whole game is just which of these 3 boats do you want a block on, which of these 3 places are you sending the boat. It's not a terrible game, but there's absolutely nothing that made me want to play it ever again, and most of my gaming group felt the same way (except the 1 guy who brought it). The one game on your list I'd say definitely don't get.

7 Wonders Duel: I like this one better than regular 7 Wonders. The pyramid mechanic is cute and Military isn't as annoying when you only have one opponent. If most of your gaming will be 2p, this is a solid option.

Castles of Burgundy: This a game that everyone seems to love, and it's Feld's highest-ranked game on BGG. To me it's not quite as compelling as many of his other designs. But if you're not comparing it to his other stuff I think it's probably a good choice; something for everyone and easy to play.

Quest for El Dorado: My personal favorite of the bunch. It's a deckbuilder, and a race, and you have to decide when to run forward and when to boost up your deck. Very accessible, plays great at 2, 3, or 4, and almost everyone I know who tried it enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one I can comment on is El Dorado. I haven't played it much, but it's the best use of a deckbuilding mechanism that I've seen. It meshes very well with the theme, so I'm surprised that it's Reiner Knizia – I've never liked his games much. But I find El Dorado works so much better than "just deckbuilders". The game doesn't "end when [insert random trigger]" and then count your point ans see who won – the game ends because someone won. Much simpler, much clearer, much neater. And there is risk-taking on the way. And a boar to move on. Good game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments, all! I decided to go with Quest for El Dorado and Imhotep. I was hesitant to pick up 7WD because I already have 7 Wonders, even though I know they are different games. And since I gave myself a choice of two out of the four, I decided to drop CoB. It's still on my wishlist, so I'll probably get it one of these days, but it's not necessary right now.

I am now up to 76 games, 24 of which I got in the last 8 months (3 pnp, 4 gifts). Only 7 of the 24, including the ones in route, are unplayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back from a long vacation where I got to play several board games with family.

Talisman 4th edition with my brother and two oldest sons. It was a great game. My brother ended winning, but the rest of us were all on his heels inside the inner region when the game ended (sudden death ending. We used the main board, and the City, Dungeon, and Deep Realms boards).

Escape the Curse of the Temple with my wife and father, which is always a fun time.

A Cash & Guns variant I made and called "Cash & Wands", where we use wands instead of guns and spell cards instead of bang/click cards and Harry Potter-based loot cards instead of cash and art loot cards. My boys like Harry Potter, so it's fun to shout rediculous quotes and stuff at each other over a game. I got my wife, sons, and brother to play with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I bought several games recently. I'm not sure why as I have a large backlog of unplayed games. shake

Kingdom Builder: Big Box (second edition) - I had been thinking about getting Kingdom Builder for a while and just happened to see a good deal for the Big Box version with all the expansions. We've played the base game a couple of times and both games were totally different. Excellent game too, simple to learn but can be very tactical.

NEOM - I watched a Rahdo run-through for this and thought it looked excellent. It's like a mashup of Quadropolis and Seven Wonders. Though better than both.

Slide Quest - I'm not sure where I heard about this one, possibly Steph Hodge's blog, but decided to get it to play with the boys. It's certainly different from anything else I have. Up to 4 players need to tilt the board (it slots into the game box with 4 handles) to guide your knight around the level, dodging traps and knocking enemies into pits. Good fun and it comes with 20 levels that can be played a different difficulties.

World Shapers - Another game I saw on Steph's blog. I thought it looked really interesting, though I've yet to play it.

Dream Home - I've had this on my wishlist for a while now. I added it when buying World Shapers so that I could get free postage. Possibly not a great saving but I didn't pay postage. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Talisman 4th edition with my brother and two oldest sons. It was a great game. My brother ended winning, but the rest of us were all on his heels inside the inner region when the game ended (sudden death ending. We used the main board, and the City, Dungeon, and Deep Realms boards).

That is when Talisman is at its best, in my opinion. Those races to the crown that come down to the very end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Aarontu wrote:

That is when Talisman is at its best, in my opinion. Those races to the crown that come down to the very end!
This was was great, too, because my brother managed to gain nearly all of the Talismans from the Talisman deck (we used the Talismans from the Cataclysm expansion so each one had a special bonus power), and him holding the Talisman of Censure made it very hard for the rest of us to enter the inner region (Talisman of Censure forces all other characters to roll 2 extra dice when attempting the Portal of Power). Fortunatley for the rest of us, I found a follower that allowed me to place a Terrain card, so I placed one on the Portal of Power to eliminate it, allowing us all to enter the inner region freely. We still lost, though a couple of us had made it past the mines/crypt when the game ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  100 , 101 , 102 , 103 , 104  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.