Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Jrtolf wrote:
We played two games of Echidna Shuffle tonight. My oldest daughter thinks its okay, but the other three of us love it.

this looks such a nice game

It is, very well produced. I even like the green pieces (green being the color I avoid unless I have no other option).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Jrtolf wrote:
We played two games of Echidna Shuffle tonight. My oldest daughter thinks its okay, but the other three of us love it.

this looks such a nice game

It is, very well produced. I even like the green pieces (green being the color I avoid unless I have no other option).

I have it in my collection, and need to learn it. A friend of mine really wants to play it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in a game of Myth to ring in the New Year! I know this game was a huge disappointment to many, but after 10 different plays I can confidently say that I've found the fun in it. Also, getting to play it non-solo lately has made it that much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
ColdFrog wrote:
Jythier wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
beardandglasses wrote:
Rudy, maybe we'll connect next year.

Yeah, now that I know what to expect next time, I am more positive that we can get a game or two in.

The game IS 'Connect with Rudy' and it's a cooperative game with either a win or loss, no points.
excuse me, but I believe there are points, and the points are how many games you play together

Maybe!

That works for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
We have family up from South Carolina. So far we've played KingDomino, Splendor, Sheriff of Nottingham, Torpedo Dice, Survive, Downfall of Pomeii, and Go Fish (the only game my niece with special needs can play).

24th - Played Battle Line, Ticket to Ride.

25th - Played Ticket to Ride, Kingsburg, Splendor, Sheriff of Nottingham, Azul.

That makes 11 games I played this Christmas break. I am not used to this, but I do love it. I really like how my family is getting into willing to game since my mom is really into it.

Ironic. We left Philly for some time in South Carolina with relatives...but no games, unfortunately. That crew is not really into games, especially games where you might have to think a bit whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
Here are the 11 games that I got to play with family over the holidays.

KingDomino - Played with my mom and my two nieces
Splendor - Played with my niece, and then played again with my parents and my niece.
Sheriff of Nottingham - Played twice with my sister and my niece, and then played again with my parents and my niece.
Torpedo Dice - Played twice with my mom and my niece.
Survive - Played with my niece and my parents.
Downfall of Pomeii - Played twice with my mom and my niece.
Go Fish - Played several times with multiple folks.
Battle Line - Played with my brother in law.
Ticket to Ride - Played three times with my niece.
Kingsburg - Played once with my niece.
Azul - Played twice with my parents.

Nice games in there

Agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
Work is slow today, so I jumped on Steam and played the first scenario (Pegasus Bridge) in Memoir '44. I took a little while to get used to how the game works but I ended up beating the Germans 4 metals to 3.

I really like Memoir 44, it's a good game. Easy, quick but still a challenge.

We just pulled out our thrifted copy of Battle Cry which I understand is similar in mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
My parents are not doing too well against me in Biblios. I won 7 out of the 8 games we've played so far. While I do like those odds, I am hoping they start gettings some wins in against me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
We just pulled out our thrifted copy of Battle Cry which I understand is similar in mechanics.

How was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did what I would describe as a "quick run through" for our first game...had a limited amount of time and digested the rules as we went. It was easy to pickup, in my opinion.

Played the first scenario -- First Bull Run/Mananas. It is very wide open (which is good for the first game).

Similar to Memoir '44 in that it is a combination of dice rolling and card play. Our game was very back-and-forth, with the Confederacy advancing down their right flank with heavy artillery support.

On an interesting note, we visited the National Battlefield (https://www.nps.gov/mana/index.htm) this past summer, so it was great to "recreate" the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a bunch of games of Codenames Duet with friends at our New Years gathering. My experience is limited, but this is my preferred form of the game, though playing with more than two has so far inevitably led to some information-leaking crosstalk in most games. Fun anyway, though!

Also taught Leaving Earth and although the "Easy" game layout is short and fairly random I managed to come in a comfortable last place (though three of us had winning chances to the end and the fourth was the player who actually managed to achieve the Mars survey).

Over the break I picked up Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done and played a game with a couple of other friends. I don't know how much longevity it will have, but figuring out how to best optimize the mancala element was just as much fun as I remember from the prototype version.

We also played back-to-back games of Azul and Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra. I'm not sure which I prefer, though I haven't played much of either (this was my first play of Stained Glass). I'd been hearing somebody opine that Stained Glass was too complicated for its own good, and although I see where the complaint comes from, I don't think I agree.

Finally (though chronologically first) I played games of Welcome To... and Pandemic with my sister and her husband. They seemed to enjoy Welcome To..., though at least one of them went down a bit of a blind alley strategy-wise because I was insufficiently clear in my explanation of estates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first board game this year was Gloomhaven. Today I will play Cryptid for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:
My first board game this year was Gloomhaven. Today I will play Cryptid for the first time.

I have yet to sort out my copy of Gloomhaven. I was able to open the box, and when I saw the components, realized I would need much more time than I had at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of Skip-Bo and Yahtzee last night. My grandmother in law won both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, over the last week, we powered through the entire legacy campaign portion of Betrayal Legacy.

It was really cool discovering how the house became the way it is in Betrayal at House on the Hill. But we were all heartily sick of it since we had to cram it in and finish it before we headed back to Seattle.

Luckily, we also got in plays of Unexploded Cow, Above and Below and Near and Far (with the Near and Far: Amber Mines expansion).

And we started off the new year with a game of The 7th Continent yesterday. We're not dead yet! Which is an auspicious start to the year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Please remove your cursor from my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep Love Letter and Coup in my desk at work. I occasionally introduce the games to new coworkers that sit near me. Going to play both on our lunch breaks today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
So I played Samurai and Through the Desert with my parents and I'm still not sure how they feel about it. My mom felt confused by Samurai, but she also came closer to beating me than dad, but I also gained a little bit of new respect for it as it seemed like the strategies were interesting for having to both compete and rely on people working with you to surround things. Through the Desert was good, but while I was kind of nostalgically pleased to see that the camel colors remained, it was a little tricky to tell them apart sometimes. It didn't cause a lot of trouble, but the struggle was still there. I think they were only so-so on it.

Then at a New Years game day I played a game of Azul, which I was thrashed at, a game of Lost Cities: Rivals, which I was also thrashed at, and a game of Antike, which I came very close to tying for first but couldn't pull it off on the last turn. That was a really simple but interesting game. We played with some house rules (Two iron for each military unit, and with a muster token that got passed around that let the holder get one free unit when they arm). That was a real neat game - simple rules but a lot going on, and interesting conflict. I really liked all those games. Maybe Antike was my favorite, but the games were so different it's hard to compare.

We also played a game of Tichu at the end of the night in which we almost made it to the end but at a 800-900 score, our opponents got a 1-2 victory. A great game that I will always gladly play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back to work now so I'm not sure how much more I'll be playing board games, but I'm hoping to get in a 3er of the full Food Chain Magnate game and Sid Meier's Civilization: A New Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, my Food Chain Magnate is still in shrink, waiting for an opportunity to pop out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I keep Love Letter and Coup in my desk at work. I occasionally introduce the games to new coworkers that sit near me. Going to play both on our lunch breaks today.

We finally got to play Loveletter today. With 2, a quick, deduction, travel-friendly game. Much better deduction than Coup which is bluffing, lying and guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two more games of Skip-Bo. I won neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally tried Spectaculum last night and it was a solid stock holding game. I really liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to play a series of strange games during the New Year's. One thing that 8 years of playing board games has done to me is that it has not so much refined, as weirdified my taste in board games, till the point that I don't even know what I find amusing any more. All I know is that "play X rounds, then count your VP" is now a deal breaker to me. I want a game to end because someone wins, and preferrably, no "VP" at all.

We managed to play Kanai's latest "The Last Brave" a couple of times, and it's an ameritrash game on 28 cards. Everything is about theme and inventing your narrative, and nothing is on balance. We also played some Rallyman, which was cool, and I managed to get "Hako-onna" played – a strange Japanese horror-themed board game, where one is the ghost, and the rest are Visitors in the ghost house trying to get out. Did some games of Cerberus also, a very strangely balanced thematic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mom kicked my butt in two games go Queendomino. Then we asked dad to play a game and I was able to win that one. I like the game well enough but I think like Kingdomino better because it plays much faster.

Tomorrow I am hoping to have time to try you Manoeuvre with dad. I got the rules down pretty good after watching a playthrough.

I know he wants to play Wings of War again with the minis. I've been meaning to try a campaign with him that Jay recommended to me a while back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always the right time for Wings of War campaigns. Or, anything else I recommend really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  79 , 80 , 81 , 82 , 83  Next »  [85] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.