Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
Jythier wrote:
I'd like to play Russian Railroads, Eminent Domain, Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, and Innovation

On Yucata, Automobiles and Ground Floor.

I don't know how to play any of these games, really.

When I get home tonight (and get out from behind the firewall) I'll send an invite for Automobiles. I've played once or twice, but still have no idea what I'm doing.

Sweet, I'll look up the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
beardandglasses wrote:
Jythier wrote:
I'd like to play Russian Railroads, Eminent Domain, Polis: Fight for the Hegemony, and Innovation

On Yucata, Automobiles and Ground Floor.

I don't know how to play any of these games, really.

When I get home tonight (and get out from behind the firewall) I'll send an invite for Automobiles. I've played once or twice, but still have no idea what I'm doing.

Sweet, I'll look up the rules.

Let me know when you're ready. I tried to find your ID on Yucata, but to no avail. Thanks!

PS: I'm beardandglasses there too, so just shoot me an invite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Invite sent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Placed an order a week or so ago for a copy of Unconditional Surrender, a rather heavy wargame that I would only have space to play on VASSAL. It's one I've wanted for a while and was hoping to solo at some point.

I don't know that I could find an online opponent st a roughly equivalent skill level so I could have a fair chance. Like most WWII wargames, it's hard to play as the Allies in the early war and really have to play the Axis in the late war. The goal for the Axis is, as always in these games, to knock two of the three major powers out of the war or, failing that, to prolong the period before total collapse as much as possible (usually by keeping Allied armies far away from Germany proper for as long as they can).

One of other note about this is that the full war scenario is a three-player game, with the Soviets and the West having to work together to achieve conflicting goals to attain as much leverage for postwar Europe as they can. So in the endgame, it is likely that both the Western Allies and the Russians will be on a headlong race to Berlin, or to gobble up as much of Germany as they can before it surrenders. This is similar to the classic Third Reich, where each major power in both alliances is ideally played by a separate human (though the Italian player is pretty much screwed, and the French player has to sit out a year and a half of the war after France surrenders before taking over the United States).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded VASSAL years ago, and, up until now, have given up on trying to figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
I downloaded VASSAL years ago, and, up until now, have given up on trying to figure it out.

I don't like it much. I've tried a couple games and while I can figure it out, I find that the games I like to play don't fit on the screen any better than they fit on a small table, and since you're always hiding windows it's easy to forget what's going on. Depends on the module, I'm sure - I was playing Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it to learn/play Washington's War and eventually Here I Stand -- as I own the physical copy of each -- but having to learn both the rules AND the interface at the same time is quite challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
I did it to learn/play Washington's War and eventually Here I Stand -- as I own the physical copy of each -- but having to learn both the rules AND the interface at the same time is quite challenging.

That's a big thing for more complicated games. I just played Ground Floor on yucata.de and it was interesting, but I definitely needed a game to figure things out, and next time I will do things very differently. While that happens with most games, it's a lot harder when you can't read half the board and have to keep zooming in - I mean, if you forget one thing you can just zoom in, but you can't really figure the whole of it out without the real board sitting in front of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:

Big Picture thinking can be a problem with larger games. But the advantage of VASSAL is that some of the larger companies in the wargaming field, most notably GMT (which has been the spiritual heir of Avalon Hill with their emphasis on good production values and traditional wargame gameplay) have great interest in supporting VASSAL. In fact, one of the continuing complaints about rival Avalanche Press is their reluctance to support virtual tabletops (in the so-far-vain hope that they can get their signature games converted to full PC titles).

But this is going to be a problem with any virtual tabletop.

One other advantage of VASSAL is its native support for screenshots that only need the board positions.

I'm going to try and see if VASSAL can handle two monitors, which would make reference a lot easier.

I actually find Cyberboard harder to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw in an email update last week that Stonemaier Games had a new game coming out that I'd never heard of - Wingspan. I foolishly watched Rahdo's run-through of the game and and ended up becoming a Stonemaier champion to get an early pre-order... shake

The game arrived this week, much faster than I had been expecting, and as it was just before games night and it was my pick I think it was fated that we play it. It's an excellent bird-themed engine builder with superb production values and it went down well with the group too (who had been looking forward to play Dice Hospital.

For once my impulse buying paid off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
I got in two games of Queendomino and 3 games of Azul.

Man, since the con on November 30th, I have been on a gaming tear. Many games played and 5 new games bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Acquire and Teotihuacan: City of Gods tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Stephenson's Rocket tonight...many similarities to Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dual monitors for VASSAL work just fine. And since I have Unconditional Surrender on order, I've decided to go through the training scenarios. There are three that cover specific campaigns (Poland 1939, Denmark/Norway 1940, and France 1940). A fourth covers that whole period. I actually succeeded in conquering Poland on the first try, but I didn't do air right so I'll try again.

I don't know how often I'm going to be taking the physical game out of the box, actually. Everything I need to play, I've already got -- even a clean conscience since I've already paid for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
beardandglasses wrote:

Big Picture thinking can be a problem with larger games. But the advantage of VASSAL is that some of the larger companies in the wargaming field, most notably GMT (which has been the spiritual heir of Avalon Hill with their emphasis on good production values and traditional wargame gameplay) have great interest in supporting VASSAL. In fact, one of the continuing complaints about rival Avalanche Press is their reluctance to support virtual tabletops (in the so-far-vain hope that they can get their signature games converted to full PC titles).

But this is going to be a problem with any virtual tabletop.

One other advantage of VASSAL is its native support for screenshots that only need the board positions.

I'm going to try and see if VASSAL can handle two monitors, which would make reference a lot easier.

I actually find Cyberboard harder to work with.
At home, I use an old 1280x70 monitor as second screen for my laptop. Mostly for work, but when I play a VASSAL game, I put the board on one screen and the pop-ups with CRT and TEC etc on the other.

+1 for the Cyberboard remark. Also: with VASSAL I've played Squad Leader with a guy near Chicago. 20:00 my time zone, 15:00 his. We used Skype to talk and VASSAL to play. Almost liek being at the table. Great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a nice post-Essen meetup with the people I worked with at Spiel last saturday night, and we played several games.
I played Cerberus with 6 others, which was great fun. Lovely game.
Then we played Raise Your Goblets, which is good, but very random, and it turns out there is a trick to winning, so once you figure that out, it depends on how the others pick up on that as well.
Then we played Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Board Game, which is a dice chucking luckfest, but has a great theme. It's okay, but not for everyone.

Sunday, I cleaned up my gameroom, and the next challenge is to compact some games to create some extra space, because I've already got more games than shelf space.
I also need to sleeve my games untill I'm out of sleeves, because the pledge manager for the next batch is open, and I need to decide which sleeves I'm gonna need next. PRESSURE!

Next saturday is the gameroom warming party! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Space Empires: 4X this weekend, and as a learning scenario, played the Doomsday Machines as co-op so we could both learn the rules. We defeated the first two Doomsday Machines (though each one took out one of our planets) but the final one steamrolled our dreadnoughts, battlecruisers, and star bases, to eat through two planets and destroy our homeworld.

Still it was fun! We finally have a Sci-Fi board game in our collection, something my husband would like more of.

Also, we very much need to learn the advanced rules before we take on the Doomsday Machines again! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
On Yucata I know...

On BGA I know...

Soooooo, I know I can probably just look it up, but what is Yucata and BGA exactly? I'm assuming some sort of software to allow users to play board games remotely or something, but is one better than another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
On Yucata I know...

On BGA I know...

Soooooo, I know I can probably just look it up, but what is Yucata and BGA exactly? I'm assuming some sort of software to allow users to play board games remotely or something, but is one better than another?
They're both official sites that let people play boardgames in browser (not downloadable software). BGA is www.boardgamearena.com and Yucata is yucata.de

You can't really compare them totally because they both contain very different collections of games, but one thing I'll say: Yucata is entirely free, while BGA is about 20 USD a year for a premium account, which lets you start games (any member can play a game if they join/are invited, but only premium members can start certain games). If you're on BGA there's no reason NOT to be on Yucata if you want to be, but the entry for BGA is very cheap and it is, in my opinion, a more intuitive and better designed site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, that's pretty cool.

Thanks Chris!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
My dad and I played our second game of Manoeuvre. I think it took about 2 hours and we both are feeling a little drained. When I buy games to play with my parents, I almost never buy anything past 45-60 minutes in length, so we are not used to longer games. We still had fun and I am really growing to enjoy this game an unforeseen way. It's got a fair amount of depth for a light wargame that I was not expecting, and figuring that out on the fly is a slice of fantastic. Dad and I played with open hands again to help him get a better feel for the game. This time he beat me 4 to 2 in a nightfall victory or basically securing more area on the opponent's side of the map when we both run out of our deck of cards. Dad is still not completely grasping his first wargame, but he is doing really well. It will take more plays to sink into his head, and I hope to get more chances with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've played Harvest 3 times, I'm starting to really appreciate it. It can be so quick if everyone will pay attention. Ha. Anyway, I beat my son by 1 point last time. I was playing as Landalf, the Green Wizard, and my daughter was playing as a building engineer guy, and she built one building, which I think really screwed up her score. She would have been right with us if she had gotten the extra 15 points from not having a special power. I used my power poorly, and my son played the standard guy because it was his first game. I got him by 1 points, 46 to his 45, to my daughter's 30. I do like how obvious the scoring is. There are gold stars on things and you add those up, and then maybe there's an extra end-game scoring for some buildings, and that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda, sorta want to set up Fallout again...

But I'm also in the mood for a Dungeon Crawl. I have HeroQuest, but kiddo definitely isn't ready for that one yet, and I have One Deck Dungeon, but that's not what I'm looking for either. I might need to start perusing BGG again for some ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
All that said, a wargame would be really fun too.

Hm. I'm constantly reminded how this can become such an addictive hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely want to play my rail games again, and my economic money-making games, and my shareholding games. I just got them back out of the storage unit so I'm raring to go, and just need my kids to buy in with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  81 , 82 , 83 , 84 , 85  Next »  [85] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.