Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2331 Posts
[1]  Prev «  89 , 90 , 91 , 92 , 93  Next »  [94] | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Lets talk about board games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I didn't mention it here yet but I recently played for the first time El Grande and...it was awesome. I also recently played for the first time Samurai and...it was awesome. I also ALSO recently played for the first time Spirit Island and...I didn't like it.

Wow Rudy, 61 games that's great. I had a pretty good month, too (even if you don't consider Keyforge which certainly inflated the numbers), and got to play many of my favorite games.

Simon I've heard good things about Istanbul, glad you liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I got a copy of Istanbul, and played it 3p, it was great!

jdw734 wrote:
I can't believe I didn't mention it here yet but I recently played for the first time El Grande and...it was awesome. I also recently played for the first time Samurai and...it was awesome.

All of these are games I really like and need to play more, although Samurai I didn't really care for several years ago, but I have a renewed enjoyment for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Urgh El Grande. I was in the box seat a couple of years ago and screwed up my last turn, I should have put all my guys in the Castille.

Istanbul was very nice, colourful, easy going, quick. I like that there are lots of options but it't not a brain burner, it plays from 2p-5p, and it's not a point-salad game, first one to 5 rubies wins (the current round is completed so there can be a tie which is then broken by tie breakers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Love El Grande. Been a long time since we played it though, but that is a game that will not leave my collection.

We played 2 boardgames last night. First a game of Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), it was my troll against my wife her thief. I went in to the inner region, she followed and stole my talisman just after the door. Then she sailed to the crown.

After that we played two games of Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, lost the first, won the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sitting and trying to complete an idea for a game-just-like-everything-else that I've had for years. Back in the days (10 years ago?), I was very much into adventure games, as I'd been from my youth: Games like Talisman and Dungeon Quest and Runebound and, generally, where you're out on adventure. I liked them, but none of them contained everything I wanted. So now I'm making one myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I can't believe I didn't mention it here yet but I recently played for the first time El Grande and...it was awesome.

I think the design of El Grande is very good, but in my experience with newer players too much comes down to successfully representing that one is doing poorly in the game, because nobody (including me, usually) has an accurate read on the position. I don't enjoy (and my sense is that I'm not good at) the sort of politics involved.

For example, every time the veto card comes up it costs me at least a round, either because I get whatever I'm doing vetoed if I don't take the card (or I do something useless, and nobody else gets their action vetoed either), or because I myself take the veto card and then don't use it.

I guess this puts El Grande in with the general class of games where my perception (filtered, of course, through the bias of memory) is that whenever I do something strong or risky I get slapped down by the rules and/or other players, but when other people try the same thing, it works for them or the other players with the power to block whatever it is choose not to do so. (Deep Sea Adventure is perhaps the purest distillation of this experience I've played, though it has the benefit that it doesn't take very long).

The design is really neat, though, and that's even without using any of the expansion stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how can they stop everyone else's awesome move when they have to block YOUR move?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Status for February...

Total games played = 61
Number of different games = 13
Most played game = 7 Wonders (11x)
Average games per day = 2

This is not counting online games.

You should post on this geeklist:
Your Most Played Game (and more): February 2019
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:

Done!

I am also going to hit your geeklist while I am at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

Done!

Awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonElephant wrote:
jdw734 wrote:
I can't believe I didn't mention it here yet but I recently played for the first time El Grande and...it was awesome.

I think the design of El Grande is very good, but in my experience with newer players too much comes down to successfully representing that one is doing poorly in the game, because nobody (including me, usually) has an accurate read on the position. I don't enjoy (and my sense is that I'm not good at) the sort of politics involved.

For example, every time the veto card comes up it costs me at least a round, either because I get whatever I'm doing vetoed if I don't take the card (or I do something useless, and nobody else gets their action vetoed either), or because I myself take the veto card and then don't use it.
Politics certainly seems to be an aspect of El Grande, but you could say that about most games with direct player interaction. The scoring track shows plainly who's in the lead, so at leaat for this game that's a strong tool for politicking and indicator of everyone's position.

But yeah, the veto card was strange. And there's the one that makes everyone else lose the meeples in their provincs. Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
You know, I'm thinking it's time to pull out Crokinole again. I'm in the mood for some clickity-clacking fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I got a copy of Istanbul, and played it 3p, it was great!

My copy, unfortunately, is still in shrink...

I really want to break it out, but so many things ahead of it right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
You know, I'm thinking it's time to pull out Crokinole again. I'm in the mood for some clickity-clacking fun.

Oh, one of the all-time games of this house. On time, we flexed the rules to have six players (when we had company over). It was a blast. One of the guests replied, "I think I'm going to make one of these..." Never heard back on whether that happened or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Spent a little time in the basement this weekend, got in a few more turns of Fallout, playing with our new expansion. As per the usual, daughter wandered down after me and joined me for a few turns playing her character.

We progressed far enough that we're approaching end game. Just need to complete one more quest and the game will pretty much be over.

I understand the criticism I've read about the game "just ending". If you focus exclusively on the main quest, it can go by very quickly. Additionally, since most of the influence points are gained from side quests, focusing on the main quest often means that a player won't have enough influence to win the game by the time one of the factions has advanced to the end of their track. The expansion does "fix" that a bit in that it's cooperative with one of the factions, but the game does cater slightly more towards everyone playing as an individual. Game would be more compelling that way.

All that said, this is still my favorite game, by far. Really helped to re-ignite my interest in board games, yet again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
In celebration of finishing our taxes we delved into the storytelling world of Near and Far, played cooperatively with the Near and Far: Amber Mines expansion, and then Above and Below... even though in the timeline of the world, Above and Below comes before Near and Far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
So I pulled out the Crokinole board tonight and dusted it off. Then I went and found the car supplies and pulled out a can of Carnauba wax. After waxing up the board really good, I grabbed a disc, gave it a light hit, and watched it sail clean through to the other side of the board. Yep, it's ready. Then I got dad to sit down across from me and the two of us played 9 games (to 100) straight.

This game covers all the ups in downs and everything in between. From laughing to dejection to disbelief to exhilaration. In just one shot can take you from feeling pure satisfaction to burying your head into your hands and vice versa. Even though I am terrible at it, I love this game so and I expect that to never change. In fact, if I have to save one game from the fire, it will be this one. The best part is dad feels the exact same way I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time I visit, Rudy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Next time I visit, Rudy.

Cheesesteaks and flicking? Get your buns out here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Next time I visit, Rudy.

Cheesesteaks and flicking? Get your buns out here.

I very much wish I had a reason to visit you again, and at some point I might just not bother with a reason and just make visiting you the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Family is coming in from out of town today. Maybe I will get a chance to rescue PitchCar from a mountain of dust later tonight. Here's hoping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Grimwold wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

Done!

Awesome

wow are you still running your geeklist, that is how I first met you on the geek all this time ago. Impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barad_the_dwarf wrote:
Grimwold wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

Done!

Awesome

wow are you still running your geeklist, that is how I first met you on the geek all this time ago. Impressive.
Yup. I still post the New To You Boardgame list every month... even though new games are pretty scarce for me these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
I played three games Biblios with mom tonight. The last two games came down to a tiebreaker. Thankfully I had more gold than she did both times and won the ties. We had a pretty good laugh when it happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, in the last 100 days I've bought 11 games (and 2 expansions). Yeah, there have been some really good sales. Only 4 of those are recent buys and therefore unplayed.

Azul - 22 plays
Kingdomino - 12 plays
Biblios - 10 plays
Notre Dame - 8 plays
Sonar - 7 plays
Queendomino - 5 plays
Sushi Go - 5 plays
Cacao - 0 plays
Century: Spice Road - 0 plays
Islebound - 0 plays
Elysium - Ordered

I have learned that keeping track of my games played in a private geeklist really helps me to get unplayed games to the table, so I know my recent purchases will be played in the next month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  89 , 90 , 91 , 92 , 93  Next »  [94] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.