United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
Well, Andy, it looks like you beat me so badly at Stone Age that you brought the Yucata servers down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Well, Andy, it looks like you beat me so badly at Stone Age that you brought the Yucata servers down.

I saw that. lol..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game of Homesteaders with the wife today. It was her first time playing. I thought she was doing really well with her buildings and she had way more points than I did at the end.

Until we counted up debt chits. She lost nearly all her points she had gained after taking debt into account.

It was a bit more fiddly than she liked (with all the resources and so many options for trading and selling them) which is my biggest problem with the game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always had a soft spot for that game, but I really didn't like it with only 2p, so I ended up getting rid of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen a copy of Homesteaders but I wish I had played it at some point. I recall it came out around the time of Carson City which I have played, but don't really like due to dice hate me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
More Crokinole with dad tonight. So much fun. Nothing is going to stop this from being my most played game for the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My most played game is going to easily be Escape: The Curse of the Temple, which the kids love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
My most played game is going to easily be Escape: The Curse of the Temple, which the kids love.

This is on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
tickmanfan wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

This is on my wishlist.

It was briefly on mine as well, until I saw the prices for copies!

Was looking for a game like this since my daughter seems to like these sort of adventure games. She had a lot of fun playing Forbidden Island, although Escape does look like it would be a bit on the heavy side.

If price wasn't an issue, Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar would be ours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

This is on my wishlist.

It was briefly on mine as well, until I saw the prices for copies!

Was looking for a game like this since my daughter seems to like these sort of adventure games. She had a lot of fun playing Forbidden Island, although Escape does look like it would be a bit on the heavy side.
My 6 year old plays both Escape and Forbidden Island..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Played a game of Homesteaders with the wife today. It was her first time playing. I thought she was doing really well with her buildings and she had way more points than I did at the end.

Until we counted up debt chits. She lost nearly all her points she had gained after taking debt into account.

It was a bit more fiddly than she liked (with all the resources and so many options for trading and selling them) which is my biggest problem with the game too.

I agree that the game is fiddly, but being able to use action chips to flip stuff into other stuff is also the main thing I find endearing about it. It doesn't get to the table very often here, though.

I played a first game of Brew Crafters tonight. I can see the comparisons to Agricola -- one of the other players commented that they find it less depressing because you take relatively forgiving amounts of debt rather than begging when you can't pay your maintenance at the end of the year. The worker-placement parts definitely have a bit of an Agricola feel, but the point scoring is more of a Caylus affair.

I'm not going to run out and buy a copy based on the one play, but it's something I'd be happy to play again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brew Crafters felt all right, but I'd just rather be playing Agricola, and the theme doesn't grab me as a non-drinker. It should have as a company-running type thing though, and it didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Brew Crafters felt all right, but I'd just rather be playing Agricola, and the theme doesn't grab me as a non-drinker. It should have as a company-running type thing though, and it didn't.

I agree that I'd rather be playing Agricola, though I expect Brew Crafters is faster. It doesn't surprise me that it doesn't tickle your company-running fancy, though ... given the prerequisites for the second and third shifts, you can't go really long on personnel and try to win through a bunch of debt (I am told that you can win through a bunch of debt, but the explicit "I'd like to invest more capital" choice isn't there).

I do wonder to what extent it's possible to win with a "small" build ... maybe next time I should pick a 5-point beer and just aim to brew one or occasionally two of them every season, rather than the double-production/mash-tun stuff I was doing this game (I came in a close second).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
I feel like I've spent a good part of the morning trying to convince myself that I really shouldn't get back into tabletop gaming, despite my increasing desire to do so every time I see a photo or description of Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. The reality is there are only a few board games that I do play, but the ones I get into...I really get into. This is the sort of game that would fall under that category.

I've held off on jumping into Warhammer 40K or Age of Sigmar, justifying that as I really wouldn't have anyone else to play with, the cost associated with me doing so, and the lack of time required to purchase, paint and prepare my army.

Unfortunately (or not), Wasteland Warfare addresses nearly ALL those concerns as it can be played solo, there are minimal figures to paint, it takes up less room, and less time to play.

Plus, you know...Fallout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
I feel like I've spent a good part of the morning trying to convince myself that I really shouldn't get back into tabletop gaming, despite my increasing desire to do so every time I see a photo or description of Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. The reality is there are only a few board games that I do play, but the ones I get into...I really get into. This is the sort of game that would fall under that category.

I've held off on jumping into Warhammer 40K or Age of Sigmar, justifying that as I really wouldn't have anyone else to play with, the cost associated with me doing so, and the lack of time required to purchase, paint and prepare my army.

Unfortunately (or not), Wasteland Warfare addresses nearly ALL those concerns as it can be played solo, there are minimal figures to paint, it takes up less room, and less time to play.

Plus, you know...Fallout.

Since the box calls it a "starter set," I'd say that's a road you don't want to go down.

I still have about $150 in minis for the X-Wing game, and I've only played one (unfinished) game in the years that I've had them. And now there's a second edition, so if I did find someone else who played now, that would be a likely hurdle.

Self-contained games are different, but I feel like I could cut down on my board game collection as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
vyran wrote:
Since the box calls it a "starter set," I'd say that's a road you don't want to go down.

Yeaaaaaaaaa, I'm aware of the implications of the "Starter Set". I played Warhammer Fantasy for a bit back in high school, and know how much of a money sink a tabletop game can be. I have an old Empire army in a box somewhere as proof.

While Fallout has expansions of course, they're considerably more limited than many of the other tabletop games I've come across. This is more of a "squad based" tabletop game, where a player typically only fields a handful of units as opposed to an entire army. That in itself is a benefit, and some of the expansions that are available...I really have no interest in.

That said though, I'm still aware what I would be getting into. It would be an investment for sure. But I don't think it would be nearly to the extent as if I was getting into something like 40K, for example.

vyran wrote:
I still have about $150 in minis for the X-Wing game, and I've only played one (unfinished) game in the years that I've had them. And now there's a second edition, so if I did find someone else who played now, that would be a likely hurdle.

Ironically, that game has been on both my Amazon and BGG wishlist for years now. I love Star Wars, the game looks fun...but I know I also don't have anyone to play with, and I do see that game getting very expensive very quickly.

I'm a very causal player, so anything that I either can't play by myself, or with my regular 4 year old gaming partner is out of the question at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:

Self-contained games are different, but I feel like I could cut down on my board game collection as well.

Of course, I was guilty of this with both Descent 1st Edition and Arkham Horror, to name a couple...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think my very expensive college Magic: The Gathering habit was enough to break me of any interest in collectible games where you have to keep buying more stuff.

I do still play the online CCGs where it's all free and I can support them by making the occasional purchase if I want (and tossed a good bit towards SolForge over the years), but only the ones where you can keep getting more cards just by playing. If it's cards only from paying, like Valve's new Artifact game, then I stay far away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the X-Wing Core set too. Never got around to playing it. Didn't buy any expansions though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
I got a copy in from Dice Hospital, looking forward to play that.

I did play 3 games of Mr. Jack earlier this week with my wife and we have our first rpg night of this year planned for Tuesday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
I felt like tile laying games recently, so I learned Cacao yesterday, which I enjoyed. I also pulled out Carcassonne with Inns and Cathedrals expansion and that was fun too.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

Looks interesting! Let us know what you think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
I felt like tile laying games recently, so I learned Cacao yesterday, which I enjoyed. I also pulled out Carcassonne with Inns and Cathedrals expansion and that was fun too.

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

I played Carcassonne with Inns and Cathedrals with a work colleague this week.. we play at lunch occasionally.

Also played 3 games of Escape with my youngest today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
mbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
...we play at lunch occasionally.

Is your department hiring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
tickmanfan wrote:

Barad_the_dwarf wrote:

+1

Thought about buying it at Spiel last year, but it was already sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Think I will buy Navegador as a birthday present for myself. Was yesterday. I believe I got close to 8 liters of alcohol, ranging from beer to whiskey, but not the game I asked for.

Played it twice so far and really like it, so think I should add it to my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  90 , 91 , 92 , 93 , 94  Next »  [94] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.