Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
I was kind of so so on it because I only played it online, but reading Hivegod's things about it makes me really want to play it in person
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
Planning a game of Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) tonight. Let's hope fate is on my side!
I have never played this or seen it played (other than on an episode of The Big Bang Theory).

Lots of people don't like it, but it's my favorite board game. I like it for most of the reasons people dislike it: randomness and more emphasis on theme than mechanics. It feels like a board game version of D&D, to an extent.
I feel like it seems to be a common household game in the USA? It's pretty unknown here outside hobby boardgamers.

I hadn't considered it not being well known outside of the US. That said, I suppose it's probably the definition of "Ameritrash" haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited Spiel Doch! in Duisburg, Germany, saturday, and that was great fun! I took plenty of pics, shot some video, and did several interviews with the publishers there, so expect a videoreport soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
Planning a game of Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) tonight. Let's hope fate is on my side!
I have never played this or seen it played (other than on an episode of The Big Bang Theory).

Lots of people don't like it, but it's my favorite board game. I like it for most of the reasons people dislike it: randomness and more emphasis on theme than mechanics. It feels like a board game version of D&D, to an extent.
I feel like it seems to be a common household game in the USA? It's pretty unknown here outside hobby boardgamers.

I hadn't considered it not being well known outside of the US. That said, I suppose it's probably the definition of "Ameritrash" haha

Except, of course, that it's British. And I have only seen copies at hobby game shops in Oregon.

When I was in a boardgame club, I witnessed Talisman games that went far into the night. I'm not sure whether anyone knew what the victory conditions actually were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great Saturday out at DERail 13. Played Age of Steam Expansion: Northern England, Railroad Dice, and 1846: The Race for the Midwest. I would say I got my Railroading fix, but could go again right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I bet we'd get along just fine if we weren't geographically challenged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

Except, of course, that it's British. And I have only seen copies at hobby game shops in Oregon.

As many typical American things, it's British.

Dungeonquest, which is another prime example of Ameritrash, is Swedish.

Michael Hopcroft wrote:
When I was in a boardgame club, I witnessed Talisman games that went far into the night. I'm not sure whether anyone knew what the victory conditions actually were.

They did. The main problem with Talisman is that the victory conditions are "spend at least 5 turns being super bored, and then an unknown number of turns SUPER DUPER ULTRA bored". And there is no auto-trigger – the game has to be actively ended.

Talisman is a game that relies on the fun of drawing a card and a lot of random weird stuff happens and you laugh about it. That is, depending on person, actually quite fun, especially when you have several strange card piles. It's a matter of exploring and trying to find various objects. Everything is "ooh, what will I get now? *draws card*". Granted, there are no tactics or anything, but at least there's this excitement.

However, to win, you need to enter the top level, where you draw no cards, and you do not roll to move; instead you advance 1 space at a time, and each space is a pass/fail die roll. Which is quite boring. Once you reach the Crown of Command, what you do on your turn is "roll a die, on 1–3 nothing happens, on 4–6 everyone else takes 1 damage". Which is about as boring as a turn can get. And this is to be repeated until you are the only one left. In the meantime, while you stand there and scream "Will someone just please KILL ME?" out of boredine, all the other people are running around drawing all these cool cards and having an adventure.

So the incentive to WIN in Talisman is nil and zilch and none. It's not fun or exciting to win at all. The game itself, though, is great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up playing Talisman and loved it... but the ending does suck... That changed when we got the Adventure expansion that added a random ending to the game.

These days, we tend to play "Race for the Crown".. so that the first person to reach the centre is the winner.. it can often produce shorter more intense games as people try to go round the inner region with lower strength or craft thank usual, just to get there first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
These days, we tend to play "Race for the Crown".. so that the first person to reach the centre is the winner.. it can often produce shorter more intense games as people try to go round the inner region with lower strength or craft thank usual, just to get there first!

Yeah, that helps. It doesn't help the fact that the inner circle is still boring. The best kind of expansion would be one (or two) smaller card deck(s) that replace the printed spaces, and instead makes them random. Then at least you'd get a "excitement of the draw" while you're walking there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
So the incentive to WIN in Talisman is nil and zilch and none. It's not fun or exciting to win at all. The game itself, though, is great fun.

I can totally see why other people don't like it, for sure. But I always have fun trying to win the game, as do the folks I play with. Granted, we typically play with alternate endings these days. Regardless, we've tracked our win/loss stats for close to 6 years now and get really competitive about it. So I wouldn't say there is no incentive to win for everybody, even when playing the base rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I always have fun trying to win the game, as do the folks I play with. Granted, we typically play with alternate endings these days. Regardless, we've tracked our win/loss stats for close to 6 years now and get really competitive about it. So I wouldn't say there is no incentive to win for everybody, even when playing the base rules.

Yea, I might have been too harsch. If you play with win/loss stats, it does make things more fun, it does. But as a gamer who appreciates the "draw a card and see what happens" excitement, I've never regarded going for the win in Talisman as anything else than "I guess I have to…". And the last turns, when all you do is roll a D6, that's just horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Criminy crockpots I love board games and I definitely love avoiding work by playing them. woooooo ha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

Yeah, that helps. It doesn't help the fact that the inner circle is still boring. The best kind of expansion would be one (or two) smaller card deck(s) that replace the printed spaces, and instead makes them random. Then at least you'd get a "excitement of the draw" while you're walking there.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Nether Realm Expansion does this with one of it's alternate end cards, but the Nether encounters are in addition to the normal space.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Cataclysm Expansion also makes some changes that I like to the end game. The inner region is a bit different and "The Eternal Crown" is an alternate end kind of like the normal one, but a lot faster and more interesting.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Harbinger Expansion also helps keep the game moving towards an inevitable end by making the world gradually fall into some kind of world-ending apocalypse that ends the world and kills everybody if players are too slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Nether Realm Expansion does this with one of it's alternate end cards, but the Nether encounters are in addition to the normal space.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Cataclysm Expansion also makes some changes that I like to the end game. The inner region is a bit different and "The Eternal Crown" is an alternate end kind of like the normal one, but a lot faster and more interesting.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Harbinger Expansion also helps keep the game moving towards an inevitable end by making the world gradually fall into some kind of world-ending apocalypse that ends the world and kills everybody if players are too slow.

All of these sound very very enticing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Aarontu wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Grimwold wrote:

All of these sound very very enticing!

One great thing about Talisman is that there are so many expansions and ways to tweak the game, you can pick and choose what you want to use to adjust the game to your liking.

As for other ways to skip the inner region, Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Dungeon Expansion lets you teleport straight to the Crown of Command if you beat the Lord of Darkness hard enough. And the Cloak of Feathers (a Dungeon treasure card) lets you teleport to the Crown of Command from the Plain of Peril. Same with the Arknell from Talisman (Revised 4th Edition): The Highland Expansion.

That said, I don't mind the inner region spaces. The Crypt and Mines, in particular, are usually exciting rolls, as they often represent the single hardest task to overcome to reach the Crown of Command, and making that single roll typically signals the beginning of the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey, anyone want to play an el grande game on Yucata? I've been thinking about this game for a while and really want to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Also I got Scythe: Digital Edition on steam, and while I'm actually not sure I'm going to like the game that much, I still really want to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Hey, anyone want to play an el grande game on Yucata? I've been thinking about this game for a while and really want to play it again.

Sure. I just need a refresher and I am good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Also I got Scythe: Digital Edition on steam, and while I'm actually not sure I'm going to like the game that much, I still really want to give it a go.

I'd be interested. What time zone you in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Secluded beach on the Virginia coastline. One of the greatest places on earth.
badge
Beardandglasses
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:

True. That's when Yucata is great. Still waiting for the 1846 port whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Spirit of 70 wrote:
ColdFrog wrote:

I'd be interested. What time zone you in?
Central time! I'm probably out tonight but over the weekend I'll have some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
ColdFrog wrote:

Sure. I just need a refresher and I am good to go.
I too need a little refresher. I'll read some rules later probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
Jythier wrote:

True. That's when Yucata is great.

No kidding! I am really getting a kick out of playing against a few of you over Yucata and Board Game Arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Just wanted to tell I played 1944: Race to the Rhine last Friday, with my wife (! - a wargame of sorts) and a friend. Saturday and Sunday I played UNO and Monopoly Deal Card Game several times with my wife and daughter.

To top this weekend off, Navegador arrived (belated birthday present, game I played and then added to my wishlist) and I enrolled in a PbeM game of Kingmaker, a game I saw around 1985 for the first time, bought in an auction over 5 years ago, but feared it will never hit the table. So at least now I can experience it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I test-played a prototype of a game I designed. Or naw, I shan't say "designed", because I know what I'm doing. I'm taking bits of pieces from various games that I like, and am brute forcing them into the same package. It's the regular adventure game, devoid of everything that can resemble meaningful decisions and tactics, and instead crammed with stuff like module board, random card draws and "ooh a monster, maybe I'll get XP for it!"

In a way, that's also how game design can be done, but I still feel like I'm just stealing stuff. But whatever. This is just for my own enjoyment – nothing that can be published in the end anyway. The board game scene doesn't like these kind of games anyway. It's just me, clinging at the past.

Anyway, the result was interesting and inspiring. The game worked, technically, and some piece of it were completely broked and needed fixing. But I think the base idea still is plausible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  93 , 94 , 95 , 96 , 97  Next »  [97] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.