United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Men in Tights diversion notwithstanding, I felt it was appropriate for me to finally jump into Axis and Allies - something I've wanted to do for a long, long time. Jess really isn't a boardgamer OR a war buff, so there really wasn't much of a chance for her to jump into a game with me.

Kiddo however...she would definitely play. And now that I have a little more room in the basement, I can even just set it up and play over a few sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love no-ship math trades. Trading a game I don't want for Kingdom Builder. No shipping costs, just an easy game for game exchange at a local convention. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Men in Tights diversion notwithstanding, I felt it was appropriate for me to finally jump into Axis and Allies - something I've wanted to do for a long, long time. Jess really isn't a boardgamer OR a war buff, so there really wasn't much of a chance for her to jump into a game with me.

Kiddo however...she would definitely play. And now that I have a little more room in the basement, I can even just set it up and play over a few sessions.

The last sentence says you're on the right path. All of my early Axis and Allies memories start with someone asking "what table can we use?" then someone else adding "that we no one will mess with for a week..."

We usually ended up on the floor somewhere. It was magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies has always intrigued me, but I've yet to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
The last sentence says you're on the right path. All of my early Axis and Allies memories start with someone asking "what table can we use?" then someone else adding "that we no one will mess with for a week..."

We usually ended up on the floor somewhere. It was magic.

A few months ago I was in the market for a new coffee table for the basement. My requirements were that it looked nice, and could fit the entirety of Fallout on its surface.

I managed to find an oversized coffee table (seriously, it's about the size of a small dining room table, albeit lower like a coffee table), and it's been a game changer. That is the sole reason I've actually been able to play board games again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
IceFire1424 wrote:
A few months ago I was in the market for a new coffee table for the basement. My requirements were that it looked nice, and could fit the entirety of Fallout on its surface.

I managed to find an oversized coffee table (seriously, it's about the size of a small dining room table, albeit lower like a coffee table), and it's been a game changer. That is the sole reason I've actually been able to play board games again.

Time in our life was that they only way we could play was to have games out and each of us take a turn when we could. Now, even though we have have game nights pretty often, we do try to always have something going on a side table somewhere. Not sure why, maybe the "daily ritual" part of it, but we both missed not having something going. Right now, we have a game of Santorini going that we've been working on for a few months. I think she might have me beat.

ghostpants wrote:
Axis and Allies has always intrigued me, but I've yet to try it.

I recently let go of my copy of Axis & Allies 1941, but it might be a good place to dip a toe in with little time/$$. It is a lite version that doesn't have the neutral countries and used a simplified economy, but it is missing some of what people like about the series, and in my case the specific reasons I wanted an A&A game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a bit of a gameday here, while the little one was in bed I played a few games with my oldest:

- Orchard - We needed 4 games to win once!
- Majesty: For the Realm - My son won with 6 points
- Regatta - My son won, I was far behind

Then my sister and brother in law arrived and so my son and I introduced them to:

- Coconuts

And then this evening my wife and I played Zombicide: Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done some recent gaming as well, including some new-to-me games.

The Great Zimbabwe was great. The game is basically a blank map and the players completely drive the progression and control the market. I am really interested in these types of games recently, and I am hoping to play this more. If only my friend who owns it didn't live three hours away...

Agricola was eh. To be fair, I wasn't expecting to love it, having not been impressed with a few other of Uwe's designs, but I do feel like I came into it with an open mind. In the end, it's a worker placement game, and each action has one spot...that's not really what I'm into anymore. The endgame scoring really soured me, each widget scored a slightly different amount of points on a slightly different scale. Just really tedious. I don't mean that from a counting standpoint, I mean that from a game design standpoint.

And finally Crokinole was really fun. The boards ain't cheap so I doubt I'll be in possession of one anytime soon. Not much to add except the praise is deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I have barely gamed in the last nine months. Mostly I play Century: Spice Road with my wife.

That said, I found a monthly local group that doesn't play on Saturdays (found a Saturday group previously; not for me), and this weekend I'm gaming all weekend back in my old stomping grounds, so yay.

Re: to Jason.

I've owned The Great Zimbabwe for years and still haven't gotten it to the table. I'm trying to convince my weekend board game group right now...

Agricola... well, it's a shame you didn't like it. It was very early in the worker placement game genre (came out two years after Caylus, which coined the term), so I can imagine there might be a feeling of "been there, done that" after the many, many worker placement games since. The scoring though, that is the game. It's a game of tight, terse calculations of what you need to do versus what your opponents are going to do which might thwart your plans. It's that tediousness, as you call it, that makes the game an exacting strategy game that rewards careful play. And thanks to the Occupation cards, the strategy is almost always different. I love it and think it hasn't really been replaced for those reasons (Caverna feels similar but is way more forgiving). But I know if it feels like a spreadsheet game to some people, so I can see why some find it tedious.

Crokinole is really fun. I have two boards, because I am impulsive. Need to sell one of them... What I really want to get is a high quality Carrom board, but hoo boy those are pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
Agricola was eh.

I didn't think Agricola was all that great either. But to be fair, a friend of mine really hyped it up, so my expectations were probably unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
Agricola... well, it's a shame you didn't like it. It was very early in the worker placement game genre (came out two years after Caylus, which coined the term), so I can imagine there might be a feeling of "been there, done that" after the many, many worker placement games since. The scoring though, that is the game. It's a game of tight, terse calculations of what you need to do versus what your opponents are going to do which might thwart your plans. It's that tediousness, as you call it, that makes the game an exacting strategy game that rewards careful play. And thanks to the Occupation cards, the strategy is almost always different. I love it and think it hasn't really been replaced for those reasons (Caverna feels similar but is way more forgiving). But I know if it feels like a spreadsheet game to some people, so I can see why some find it tedious.
Yes, by today's crazy standards, Agricola is an "old" design, so maybe that's part of it. And I agree with everything you said here. On the last turn, I had to pick one piece of the five widgets I had in my farm to turn into food to feed my workers. Five widgets, at the very end of the game, each with it's own different scoring rubric and relative point strengths. The task on which one to consume in order to maximize my points was daunting, uninteresting, and probably inconsequential. But I didn't calculate it to find out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I didn't think Agricola was all that great either. But to be fair, a friend of mine really hyped it up, so my expectations were probably unfair.

Yea, the same thing happened to me with Catan. The number of times I've heard it referred to as THE "Gateway Game", or the game that would get anyone into "modern gaming" probably set my expectations unreasonably high. We've tried to play a few times now, and after a few turns of trading for wood, or building roads to nowhere...we inevitably move on to something else.

I credit Pandemic with winning me back into boardgaming, Star Wars: The Card Game with giving me that moment of "Okay, this is really cool", and Fallout for being the game that I really wanted to play like...all the time.

Forbidden Island gets the nod for being the game that got my young daughter into gaming, and one that I can play with her that's actually fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of which, my copy of Axis & Allies: D-Day is still sitting in the box on my table in the basement. I really need to set that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
How far away is Fishers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
How far away is Fishers?
About 3 hours!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! I too checked locations and though, "Hmmm, that's not TOO far..."

I've actually been meaning to take a weekend trip to Chicago for a while now, but it's a city I (and everyone, I assume) prefer in warmer weather. Back to video games, I've really, really been wanting to head to Galloping Ghost, outside of Chicago, which proclaims itself to be the largest arcade in the world. DROOL

No luck on The Great Zimbabwe, but I think I convinced them to play Tigris & Euphrates, so that's a win!

Edit: Coldwater's even closer (slightly). wow I've only been in the midwest for nine months, so I have no idea how close I am to anything. Crossroads indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
[...]and Fallout for being the game that I really wanted to play like...all the time.

I've seen the Fallout board game at my local gaming/comic book store, and it has always intrigued me. What are the mechanics like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been mostly board gaming online this month with very little face-to-face games. That did not stop me from buying two games on discount. I got Pandemic Season 1 to play with my mom and Flick 'em Up to play with my dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krux wrote:
Hah! I too checked locations and though, "Hmmm, that's not TOO far..."

I've actually been meaning to take a weekend trip to Chicago for a while now, but it's a city I (and everyone, I assume) prefer in warmer weather. Back to video games, I've really, really been wanting to head to Galloping Ghost, outside of Chicago, which proclaims itself to be the largest arcade in the world. DROOL

No luck on The Great Zimbabwe, but I think I convinced them to play Tigris & Euphrates, so that's a win!

Edit: Coldwater's even closer (slightly). wow I've only been in the midwest for nine months, so I have no idea how close I am to anything. Crossroads indeed.
I think I've even been to the Galloping Ghost once! Good luck on T&E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
[...]and Fallout for being the game that I really wanted to play like...all the time.

I've seen the Fallout board game at my local gaming/comic book store, and it has always intrigued me. What are the mechanics like?

Very much inspired by the video game series of the same name, both thematically and in terms of mechanics.

Here's a rough and dirty:

Fallout is an action RPG with lots of focus on exploration and questing. You start the game by choosing a character, each with unique items or abilities. You explore by flipping over hex tiles that make up the game board, exposing towns, settlements, and enemies. Combat is quick and simple, resolved by die rolls targeting vulnerable parts of the enemy, reminiscent of the VATS system in Fallout. Finding weapons and items allow for combat and ability test re-rolls, making the player more effective in and out of combat. Leveling up by defeating enemies or completing quests lets you earn a SPECIAL attribute or a powerful perk.

The player wins the game by earning a set number of influence points through questing before one of the two competing factions in a given scenario gets enough influence to control the wasteland. The game offers multiple scenarios, each based on stories from the various Fallout video games.

For me personally, looting and leveling up is the primary draw of the game. You start out as a relatively weak character, having to choose your battles and encounters wisely, or risk being killed. As you explore, you find weapons, armor and items that make you more effective, and level up, granting you SPECIAL attributes that allow you to use certain items, or become more effective at overcoming challenges. It's fun going from that to a character who can survive encounters and take on the worst the wasteland has to offer. It just feels like Fallout - Bethesda has done a great job translating that experience to the board game.

Disclaimer:

I'm clearly a huge Fallout fan, and definitely biased as a result. That said, I still really enjoy the mechanics, and would definitely enjoy the gameplay even without the Fallout theme, so that probably says something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
Fallout is an action RPG with lots of focus on exploration and questing. You start the game by choosing a character, each with unique items or abilities

That pretty much sold it for me already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:
Fallout is an action RPG with lots of focus on exploration and questing. You start the game by choosing a character, each with unique items or abilities

That pretty much sold it for me already.

I'm glad I went on for another 3 paragraphs then. laugh

I love the characters in the game. They're all really unique, and each employ different strategies as a result of their abilities. And all of them drip Fallout theme.

What's kindof funny is that in the games we've played so far, whatever character I choose one game will be the character my daughter chooses next game. Although she does now seem to be rather fond of the Brotherhood of Steel Outcast, which is perfect for her since he has the best armor at the start of the game (at the cost of being slower than everyone else).

I picked up the Fallout: New California expansion which adds some new characters, enemies, items and tiles. One of the characters in that is an Enclave Deserter, so now at least both of us can play in Power Armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
....great, thanks Gabe. Now I kindof want to set up a new scenario of Fallout. I haven't done the "New California" scenario yet, and that's the "true" Co-Op one.

My daughter and I have been playing a "House Rules" Co-Op, where we both align to the same faction and win if the faction we're aligned with has the most influence at the end of the game. The game is very easy that way, but it seemed appropriate for a five year old not to have to worry about affiliations.

Well, "more appropriate", as I wouldn't really consider this game appropriate for five year olds anyways. If she asks, all those ghouls, super mutants, raiders and deathclaws "ran away" after they were defeated in combat. And those chems aren't chems. They're, ehhhhhh...medicine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
...great, thanks Pat. Now i kindof want to go buy the Fallout boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
...great, thanks Pat. Now i kindof want to go buy the Fallout boardgame.

Bethesda owes me commission. Who knew I was an influencer?

Anyways, I really do enjoy the game. To those now seemingly interested, a couple additional comments you should be aware of:

1. The game does take up a rather large footprint (especially with the expansion), and;

2. The game duration can be quite long. Not in that the game draws on (the difficulty actually scales to the duration really well - more on that in a moment), but it can take several hours to play. Especially if one (or more) players run off to tackle side quests instead of the main questline, which is really how it should be played. Going straight for the main quests will make the game go much, much faster, but it's likely that none of the players will obtain the necessary influence to win the game, since completing main quests will progress one (or both) of the factions.

However, both of those "problems" are mitigated if you have a table or an area you can set the game up to play over several sessions. The game works really well that way - we just put the dice in front of whoever goes next, and it's easy to pick up where you left off because the quest cards stay on the table, and there are objective markers on the board to remind the players where to go next.

Oh, and since I mentioned it - here's how the scaling difficulty works.

When you start the game, you're looking at a map of hex tiles. Some of them, like your starting position ("Crossroads Camp") and maybe a settlement or two are visible. The rest are "undiscovered", and are either green or red. As you begin moving around the map, you "explore" an unexplored tile by flipping it over, revealing terrain, settlements and any enemies on the tile. That's important because whenever an enemy is killed, the same type of enemy spawns on the closest tile matching that character type. Simply put, the more explored tiles in a game, the more active enemies will be present.

And then there's the color of the tiles themselves. The first tiles you will encounter in the game are green. Generally speaking, the green tiles have less enemies, less powerful enemies, and less difficult (or deadly) terrain. As you progress in the game, you will ultimately be pushed into the red tiles. Those have a higher concentration of enemies, and can spawn the toughest enemies in the game. By the end of the game when many tiles have been explored, there will be many, many more enemies on the map, several of which are likely to be tougher opponents.

I think that was a cool way to handle difficulty scaling, and gives the players some options on how to approach the game. Explore early to generate more enemies and potentially level up (at risk of getting overwhelmed and killed), or limit exploration and the number of threats, but have less opportunity for loot or XP. I like that.

I'll stop talking now. LoL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  96 , 97 , 98 , 99 , 100  Next »  [101] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.