United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
((Fallout board game is an awesome RPG but long as hell))

This is very much how I feel about World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, which is a full day off table and a half epic sprawling adventure, but also incredibly satisfying with characters levelling up and gaining skills and equipment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

This is very much how I feel about World of Warcraft: The Boardgame, which is a full day off table and a half epic sprawling adventure, but also incredibly satisfying with characters levelling up and gaining skills and equipment.

Are any of the D&D and Pathfinder boardgames good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

I really enjoyed Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. To me, it felt like a really great board game version of D&D, though I should add that I'm a newcomer to D&D so perhaps more experienced folks feel differently.

I think I got the digital version of a Pathfinder board game in a recent Humble Bundle, but I haven't played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

I really enjoyed Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game. To me, it felt like a really great board game version of D&D, though I should add that I'm a newcomer to D&D so perhaps more experienced folks feel differently.

I think I got the digital version of a Pathfinder board game in a recent Humble Bundle, but I haven't played it yet.

As a counterpoint, I found Castle Ravenloft a bit annoyingly luck-based, perhaps because I was used to the mitigating factors of WOW (1: more dice manipulation, 2: Many more dice so luck bell curves out faster). And of course your meager power set is not a patch on the talents/skills/items of WOW. It does, however, have the advantage of being much shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:

I owned 4 of the D&D boardgames and did enjoy them.

- Ravenloft: did not really play through the whole adventure, but did play a couple of times. Not bad but not my favorite.
- Wrath of Ashardalon: did finish this one with my wife.
- Legends of Drizzt: this is my favorite, to be honest Drizzt is overpowered but we had tons of fun with it.
- Temple of Elemental evil: Playing this with a friend and my wife. Like it as well, there is more of a campaign and advancement in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

Interesting. I think the levelling and fighting system is awesome (which is why I kept the game), but the problem was that there was no adventure in it at all – only fighting. Go there, fight monsters. Then go there, fight monsters. I would have wanted some more varied quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

I really liked "Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Board Game" which is basically just a variant of HeroQuest. But it was really good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a small con at my place, played about 19 games over 2 full days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:

Tha sounds like a blast. How many people came?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Osirus wrote:
IceFire1424 wrote:

I really liked "Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Adventure Board Game" which is basically just a variant of HeroQuest. But it was really good!
Except I had to be dungeon master. Which is why I prefer Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Narl wrote:

We were with 8 (3 were unable to join). It is a twice a year thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Narl wrote:

We were with 8 (3 were unable to join). It is a twice a year thing.

That sounds fantastic! I wish I had space, time, and people in my circle to do that with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all people I met on the geek in the FTL thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
How odd that you would invite people you meet on BGG over to your house for games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
Narl wrote:
How odd that you would invite people you meet on BGG over to your house for games!

Especially from Faster Than Light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
jdw734 wrote:
Narl wrote:

Especially from Faster Than Light.

Lol, the original Feel the Love thread. We have had people over from the States, Finland, Sweden, Germany and Belgium so far. And once from Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a lot of board games this weekend. The weekend board game extravaganza went well.

N is new to me, W means victory:

Newton (N), Samurai (W), Saboteur, Le Havre twice (short game and regular version), Railways of Europe (N), High Society, Root (N), The Voyages of Marco Polo (N), Elevenses (W), Kemet, Tigris & Euphrates, Century: Spice Road twice (W x2), Condottiere, The Fox in the Forest (N, W)

Looks like I only had luck with shorter games. Still, lot of fun all around. I think the highlights for new games were Railways and Fox in the Forest. Maybe Newton, but it was basically a solitaire game, and I tend to enjoy more interaction. Still, it was a puzzle to figure out the optimal path and I enjoyed that. Railways had great, simple mechanics but the strategy was opaque and it was very competitive, I will almost definitely pick that up. Fox in the Forest was deceptively confusing at first, but is such a clever twist on trick taking games, and two player to boot. It clicked halfway through my first round and I ended up destroying my friend (I have a reasonable amount of experience with trick taking games; Hearts and Tichu, namely). I described it to my wife and she wasn't at all interested, so I'll wait until I find out who my local gaming friends are before I pick that up.

Speaking of, I'm gaming locally this Friday, so wish me luck. I've not gamed much in the last nine months, so I hope I can get a local game group so my gaming isn't relegated to flying to NJ a few times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great games in that list! I've only ever played Condottiere with three, but would love to try it with more. How many did you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
Agricola was eh. To be fair, I wasn't expecting to love it, having not been impressed with a few other of Uwe's designs, but I do feel like I came into it with an open mind. In the end, it's a worker placement game, and each action has one spot...that's not really what I'm into anymore. The endgame scoring really soured me, each widget scored a slightly different amount of points on a slightly different scale. Just really tedious. I don't mean that from a counting standpoint, I mean that from a game design standpoint.

I'm not sure I can defend the final scoring, but the last time I played it (in February) reminded me how much I enjoy the game. I'm not sure I'm at the level where drafting improves the game for me, but it wasn't too much of a drag, either.

Over the weekend, I too went to a mini-con organized by a friend. Got in a game of Terraforming Mars (I'd never played with Colonies before, and it's arguable whether I have now, either ... I think I traded once or twice) and introduced some people to Innovation and Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King, both of which I could stand to play more of.

Innovation is ever-chaotic, but everybody seemed to enjoy it. Isle of Skye served well as a counterpoint to the game of Carcassonne we'd played earlier -- I don't hate Carcassonne, but I'd usually rather be playing almost anything else. In the Isle of Skye game, I managed to ride a couple of points-for-farms scrolls to victory (granted, against two players who had never played before).

I also learned Res Arcana, which is maybe in the same part of the map as Splendor -- collect resources, buy cards that enhance your resource generation or allow you to convert your resources, win by having the most VP when somebody passes a threshold. It seems like a pretty solid game.

I've heard good things about Root, but the game of it I played didn't exactly confirm them. Since the game was mostly a one-sided crush by the Riverfolk Company, and I barely figured out what I was doing as the Eyrie, I can see that there's certainly asymmetry there to love, but it's also clearly (at least with the expansion) a game that depends on the players for its balance. I'd be interested in playing more; I imagine it will be several games before I have a good sense of what's going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Rudy and I are in a pretty constant stream of Jaipur/Hanging Gardens games that has just been rocking. It's more board games than I've played in ages. I'm getting crushed at Jaipur but I think I'm slightly ahead in Hanging Gardens (though this game is already too tight).

And now a friend has finally gotten on to BGA and I've got so many more plans. We're in a Hanafuda (Koi-Koi) game right now and I've missed that silly nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
ColdFrog wrote:
And now a friend has finally gotten on to BGA and I've got so many more plans. We're in a Hanafuda (Koi-Koi) game right now and I've missed that silly nonsense.

Having some good folks to play games with remotely is rad, and BGA is a great place for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm constantly playing Race for the Galaxy on BGA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
I'm constantly playing Race for the Galaxy on BGA.
I just added you (And Quasy) to my friends list. I will play some Race! I've actually kinda been thinking about that, I havent' played in AGES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They let me play Through the Ages a couple games, too, but I'm done with that. I like Eminent Domain as well. I don't know what else I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Jythier wrote:
They let me play Through the Ages a couple games, too, but I'm done with that. I like Eminent Domain as well. I don't know what else I like.

If you've not tried Quantum or Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends, I enjoy them greatly and the BGA implementations are pretty top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  97 , 98 , 99 , 100 , 101  Next »  [101] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.