Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Working with a bunch of cocksuckers (pardon the language)...

I don't know, but playing small pranks on each other seems to be a sort of "way of interacting with your collegues" at some workplaces in Sweden, so maybe it's the same in Denmark?

I've never worked in such an environment, but I have a few friends who do,and who enjoy this bantering. Not to excuse it, just saying it might be a bit of a cultural thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:
Working with a bunch of cocksuckers (pardon the language)...

I don't know, but playing small pranks on each other seems to be a sort of "way of interacting with your collegues" at some workplaces in Sweden, so maybe it's the same in Denmark?

I've never worked in such an environment, but I have a few friends who do,and who enjoy this bantering. Not to excuse it, just saying it might be a bit of a cultural thing.
But there is a difference between a "meaningful" prank - or plastering people's screens/desks/chairs with random crap.

An example is that a colleague was complaining that there were no spoons in the kitchen, so one evening while working I found some spoons and placed them on her desk.

And that my piggy keep disappearing is also not something I take very serious but smile at it - and just hope I find it before I leave this job. Other pranks have been made on me without being an issue - but a parking-app billboard sticker have no meaning or idea (I never drive to work by car so I do not need a parking app), so I did not see the relevance in it. Generally there is a rather rough and bulling way of speaking in my team - especially towards a few of the members, but not towards everyone...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
But there is a difference between a "meaningful" prank - or plastering people's screens/desks/chairs with random crap.

Of course there is a difference, but pranks don't have to be "meaningful" for them to have a meaning (at least not for everyone)

One of my pals found his entire chair duct-taped while he'd been away on a short vacation. He found it hilarious, and repaid the gesture on a later occasion. So at least some people enjoy that kind of silly pranks.

I can't say that I enjoy that kind of pranking, either. Just saying that some people actually enjoy it, and that might cause other people to think that everyone enjoys it. So I don't think it's done to be mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

Of course there is a difference, but pranks don't have to be "meaningful" for them to have a meaning (at least not for everyone)

One of my pals found his entire chair duct-taped while he'd been away on a short vacation. He found it hilarious, and repaid the gesture on a later occasion. So at least some people enjoy that kind of silly pranks.

I can't say that I enjoy that kind of pranking, either. Just saying that some people actually enjoy it, and that might cause other people to think that everyone enjoys it. So I don't think it's done to be mean.
True; I used to have two colleagues who were friends, and one afternoon one of them placed PostIt's everywhere on the other's desk, screen, keyboard - so there was a layer of PostIt's - this was again meaningful in a way since we all had PostIt's laying on our desks with various TicketIDs, small notes, IP-addresses and such.

Since the incident I have already been given several job offers (I often get headhunted actually) - so I've been quite wondering if now is the time... I have two month's overtime that I need to use or get paid - and even more hours are saved up already this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
HUGS, Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for your loss Andy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Grimwold wrote:
My mum passed away 10 days ago.. it was expected as she had been diagnosed with life-limiting (terminal) cancer 4.5 years ago, but it was also very sudden at the same time.. we expected a more gradual deterioration, instead of the acute incident that they were unable to treat because of the cancer.

She is no longer suffering and has gone to a better place, but we miss her a lot.

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to your and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I know it's a little late, but I'm sincerely sorry for your loss Andy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your kind words. We had the funeral this week and it was a good service.. I'm sure it's going to take awhile to sink in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
I was laid off today.

It could be worse, I guess. My first stop after leaving the office was Barnes & Noble, where I had still worked part time up until a couple of years ago while I had my 8-to-5 programming job. B&N had a temporary position available that I applied to, and I'll get some hours starting on Monday.

I also have a friend that had wanted me to try to apply to the company he works for in Virginia. I had been sort of putting it off out of fear of taking too much of a chance, but now that I wouldn't really be leaving anything here, I'm going to see if that leads anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with the job hunt, Matt. That sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
vyran wrote:
I was laid off today.

Awwwwwwww, @#$%.

I'm sorry Matt. Was there any indication this was coming, or one of those "surprise!" things?

And of course, "Shut up, Pat" is always an appropriate response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
vyran wrote:
I was laid off today.

It could be worse, I guess. My first stop after leaving the office was Barnes & Noble, where I had still worked part time up until a couple of years ago while I had my 8-to-5 programming job. B&N had a temporary position available that I applied to, and I'll get some hours starting on Monday.

I also have a friend that had wanted me to try to apply to the company he works for in Virginia. I had been sort of putting it off out of fear of taking too much of a chance, but now that I wouldn't really be leaving anything here, I'm going to see if that leads anywhere.

Very sorry to read that. I hope that doesn't put you in financial jeopardy in the near term and that you'll soon find a better job than the one you had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Matt that sucks hoping you get some new opportunities soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
vyran wrote:
I was laid off today.

soblue

Best of luck getting a new job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck Matt! I hope something even better comes along for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IceFire1424 wrote:
vyran wrote:
I was laid off today.

Awwwwwwww, @#$%.

I'm sorry Matt. Was there any indication this was coming, or one of those "surprise!" things?

And of course, "Shut up, Pat" is always an appropriate response.

Well, the raises for next year were going to be smaller than in the past.

And looking back on it, we were working towards having an outside company work more closely within our system. I figured it would just be for the ease of not having two help desk ticketing systems, and that's true, but then I guess easier work with a company in Ecuador means that the people in the home office aren't so necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sykurmoli wrote:
Very sorry to read that. I hope that doesn't put you in financial jeopardy in the near term and that you'll soon find a better job than the one you had.

My now former boss thinks I'll be able to find something better sooner rather than later. I think he's right, but it's still a sudden thing. Got told about it, had to hand over my company phone (my only phone) and leave halfway through the day.

Not having that makes it pretty difficult to coordinate the other things I need to sort out. Fortunately, I was able to stop by the Barnes & Noble I used to work at part time and they had a spot I could take. I had to apply as a new employee, and I won't get a lot of time in, but it's something.

A lot of friends have come through with some leads, too. We'll see where those go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Matt, sorry to hear about the job loss. Hope you find something suitable quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt, so sorry to hear about the lay off! It is good that you are willing to relocate, though, as that will open upa lot more options for you. Please let us all know when you find something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks, Matt. Here's hoping you find something and that it's good soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
That's a tough one, Matt. Hopefully, them laying you off ends up being one of the best things to happen to you. May this open the door to a new direction in life through a better job and possibly moving to a new location.

Keep us updated as things progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the good times are killing me
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also sorry to hear about that Matt, seems companies like to give themselves better bottom lines for the holidays. soblueyukshake

#empathy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hear the news Matt.. hopefully you will be able to move on to bigger and brighter things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tenpence nonthericher
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to read of your Mother Passing Andy.
And Matt Best of luck getting a new position.

Make me feel better about having to dump an obscene amount of money into my car as I need new tires, brakes,water pump, shocks and new timing belt. debating a new car but do not want to make the leap yet as I know these repairs will keep it going a few more years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  38 , 39 , 40 , 41 , 42  Next »  [42] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.