Onitama: The Board Game
Oxenfree
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
World of Warcraft
Portal 2
Artifact
The Castles of Burgundy
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Tabletop Simulator
Tides of Time
Shards of Infinity
Borderlands
BioShock 2
Super Mario World
Saints Row 2
Tales of Phantasia
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
The Movies
Grim Fandango
Diablo II
Diablo III
Super Monkey Ball 2
New Super Mario Bros.
Stunt Race FX
Red Dead Revolver
Impossible Mission
Master of Magic
StarTropics
Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1047 Posts
[1]  Prev «  38 , 39 , 40 , 41 , 42  | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Sad news ONLY. Come join in the misery. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
So sorry to hear that pat, my condolences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
I was afraid of this. Just got a message from our daycare provider that our daughter told another child that Cody had to stay at the vet last night. She doesn't understand what's happening. Looking back at the conversation we had with her yesterday, I think I understand how the message could have been misunderstood by a 4 year old. I tried to make it as clear as I could. I think this is going to make things harder for her. Unfortunately, this means that when she said good bye yesterday, she most likely didn't know it was going to be for the last time.

I know what to say to make it clear now (I think), but this is going to be another difficult conversation for all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Had another difficult conversation with kiddo last night. I think she understands that Cody isn't coming back, but doesn't exactly understand the concept of death, or what's happening. Given her age, I think that's understandable, but it's tough to know what she's thinking, or how she's processing all of this. I know she's sad that Cody isn't around anymore, and that she won't get to see him again, but I don't think she's developed the emotional attachment to him that my wife and I did, so perhaps her feelings of loss aren't as great. I actually hope that's the case to an extent, because maybe it means this won't be as painful an experience for her.

I know it's harder for me than I expected it would be. I knew Cody wouldn't be with us forever. He was getting old, starting to have problems and that death would be inevitable (and likely sooner rather than later), but it's still hard for me to believe he's gone. We had 13 years with him, and while that is a lot of time and a lot of memories for me to look back on, it still doesn't feel like it was enough. I miss my buddy. Even if the last year was just him snuggled up in whatever comfy spot he could find because it was getting difficult for him to move around, and we couldn't really play much anymore. He was always still there, with us. And now he's not. And it's the little constant reminders that bring the pain back again - only putting out one food bowl for meal time, or seeing his leash. Or getting home and not having him greet us at the door. Those are the difficult times. And yet...Cody was just a pet. In many ways, coping with his loss actually feels more difficult than accepting the loss of a grandparent or relative, which we've had a number of over the past few years. And that's what's crazy to me. I wouldn't have expected that to be the case, but it seems to be.

I'm glad I was with him at the end, so at least he knew I was there, and wasn't alone. But that's the moment I keep going back to. The memories of years past make me smile, but those last moments...feeling his heart stop, and hearing him take his last breath. It hurts. So much more than I would have thought.

Sorry for rambling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to ramble away - that's what this thread is for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pat,
I think kids are the hardest part of this. When my daughter was 3 we had to put down our Great Pyrenees who was her best friend in the world. The dog slept in her room ever since she was born. She learned to walk by pulling herself up on his fur while he patiently stood there and then would slowly walk with her latched on. His name was her first word (dada was second, so at least I was near the top!).
Putting the pooch down was super hard. Having the long talk with my daughter before we did it and after we did it was worse. The night of screaming and tears when my daughter kind of began to finally understand what had happen was gut wrenching misery.
Went through the same thing with our first Saint. My daughter was older and I guess that made it a bit easier but she still cries about him every once in awhile a few years after. Full disclosure, I do too.
It's like the triple whammy of suck. Your pet feels horrible and you have to make a heart crushing decision. Then you spend your time missing your pal and just aching. Then you get the soul crushing misery of your kid dealing with it.
Hang in there Pat. You did the right thing. And if it ends up hitting your daughter hard in a couple of days, it'll end up okay. She's got awesome loving parents who will carry her through it.
Give yourself time to grieve as well Pat. Don't keep it bottled up. I had a solid night of wailing and tears (and scotch) after my Saint, who was unquestionably my best boy ever, passed. As a guy I keep feeling like I'm supposed to be tough and a rock of stability for my family, but I've done my best to throw that shit in the trash can. If I keep my misery bottled up it doesn't do anyone any good. It just makes the healing process longer for everyone involved and keeps me miserable.
Once again, hang in there man. We're all here for you. Rant all you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mb
Yes it's hard for kids. We had to put our cat to sleep about a year and a half ago and he still comes to tears when he thinks of her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Sorry man, it's always rough. I still think of the cat my family had when I was a kid, and even though she hated literally everyone that was in smelling distance, I still think about her some times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep in mind that this being more painful than the loss of some relatives (whom you presumably interacted with a great deal less often) is nothing of which to be ashamed. As you pointed out, Cody was a regular part of your life for a long time, and a member of your household, it is only natural that his loss would hurt more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry for your loss, Pat. Our cat is about to turn 16 and though she's surprisingly healthy still, I know those days are limited and I worry often. She's the best pet I've ever had, bar none.

On another sad topic, which normally shouldn't be sad, tomorrow is my wife's and my 16th anniversary of when we met. I'm sad because she doesn't want to celebrate. I don't want to get into the details here, since you all don't know me too well, but I'm trying to distract myself by finding conversations, and saw this topic, and it seemed too apropos not to say anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Giant HUGS, Pat. Doggos get into our hearts big time.

Drew, that sounds painful. HUGS or light punch in the shoulder as you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoulder surgery in a week. Six weeks wearing a brace that keeps my arm at shoulder level -- 24 hours a day. Six more weeks just sleeping in it. No lifting anything much for the three months. Then recuperation which takes a year or more.

I'm not much looking forward to this. No games, no other hobbies, terrible sleeping. Typing isn't fun one handed either.

The reason I know what's coming is that I had the other shoulder fixed a year ago -- it's good enough now, although it is still building up strength.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
Shoulder surgery in a week. Six weeks wearing a brace that keeps my arm at shoulder level -- 24 hours a day. Six more weeks just sleeping in it. No lifting anything much for the three months. Then recuperation which takes a year or more.

I'm not much looking forward to this. No games, no other hobbies, terrible sleeping. Typing isn't fun one handed either.

The reason I know what's coming is that I had the other shoulder fixed a year ago -- it's good enough now, although it is still building up strength.

Pauli

Ouch, that does sound like an ordeal. Maybe you could find discussions from other people who have gone through it and may have learned some tricks to handle the discomfort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Why can't you play games with only 1 hand? Solo games? Computer versions of games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Yikes! I hope the surgery goes well, no complications, and that recovery is magically better than you expect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
paulidale wrote:

Why can't you play games with only 1 hand? Solo games? Computer versions of games?
Actually I made a Geeklist of games you can play with one hand

Good videogames you can play one handed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The arm that will be operated on won't be mobile. Moreover, it will hurt sitting for too long. Effectively, I'll need to lay down a lot. I think it will be difficult to play games one handed lying on my back and feeling sorry for myself because of the pain.

I went through a similar operation last year, I know what's coming....

The alternative is leave the arm and it becomes irreparable by year's end. After that, the shoulder rises, the cartilage wears out and arthritis sets in.

Short term pain to avoid long term pain is worthwhile. It still won't be much fun.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"The Ravens of VGG - 2016-2019"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith Flint, the spikey side haired singer of The Prodigy is dead. Crazy as I was only listening to the Prodigy albums again last week!

Also my brother still won't move out after leaving breaking off with his girlfriend. He's been here a month now, in my one bedroom flat with me and my wife. I just want our space back! cry

O brother, get your shit together!

PS- As I didn't read the room before walking in, sorry about your shoulder thing Paul! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mb
Aside, I think the family is doing better after last week. I know we all still have some moments of sadness, but that's to be expected. Our remaining beagle Gracie is getting a lot more attention, that's for certain. We had Cody for a couple years before Gracie, so it feels like this time is just for her. She's in pretty good health, so hopefully she'll be with us for at least a couple years. We'll make the most of the time we have with her.

In retrospect, it's only after Cody was gone that I truly realized just how much special attention he needed. We spent thousands of dollars a year on medications to control his seizures and some other issues. We couldn't go anywhere for long periods of time because he did need to go out frequently, and in the last few months of his life, he needed to rely on training pads to control his increasing number of accidents. We felt awful about that, and for the fact that we couldn't be home with him. Unfortunately, I think that also meant we neglected Gracie to an extent - we couldn't really go on long walks with him anymore, and he was limited to where he could go.

He was a great dog, but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that it really was his time. He wasn't the same pup he was years ago, and it was pretty apparent (especially now looking back on everything) that his quality of life was deteriorating. I'm just very glad that despite those problems, he did live a very comfortable life, right up until the end. That makes me happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
The arm that will be operated on won't be mobile. Moreover, it will hurt sitting for too long. Effectively, I'll need to lay down a lot. I think it will be difficult to play games one handed lying on my back and feeling sorry for myself because of the pain.

I went through a similar operation last year, I know what's coming....

The alternative is leave the arm and it becomes irreparable by year's end. After that, the shoulder rises, the cartilage wears out and arthritis sets in.

Short term pain to avoid long term pain is worthwhile. It still won't be much fun.

Grab the 1st 6 books of Fabled lands down to your portable device of choice, and enjoy 40+ hours of choose your own adventure RPG pain minimization. The computer will roll dice & keep records for you. http://flapp.sourceforge.net/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:

Pauli

Ugh. I've needed to have my shoulder scoped for about a decade now. I just live with the intermittent pain because this sounds miserable.
Can you use a controller and game? That sounds like very little shoulder involvement.
Either way, it sucks. Sorry man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:

Grab the 1st 6 books of Fabled lands down to your portable device of choice, and enjoy 40+ hours of choose your own adventure RPG pain minimization. The computer will roll dice & keep records for you. http://flapp.sourceforge.net/

Forty hours versus six weeks of immobility?

After that I'd be able to. The second six weeks only require the brace while sleeping.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Get it checked out if you can. Shoulders do reach the point of being irreparable and you really don't want that -- the shoulder lifts, cartilage abrades then arthritis sets in. I was told I could reach that point by year's end -- that's when I decided as soon as possible.

No, no controller for the first six weeks. It isn't fun but there is every chance the damage will be fixed forever. I think that's worth the short term suffering.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  38 , 39 , 40 , 41 , 42  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.