Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1122 Posts
[1]  Prev «  41 , 42 , 43 , 44 , 45  | 

Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Sad news ONLY. Come join in the misery. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Wrong thread.

IceFire1424 wrote:
Keep us in the loop!

He's such a pessimist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Wrong thread.

IceFire1424 wrote:
Keep us in the loop!

He's such a pessimist.

Quiet, you.

Thanks Gabe, I feel fully in the loop! Sounds like there are multiple paths towards a quick transition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Work is asking me why I have so much annual leave accrued and is encouraging me to take more time off. Should I be honest and tell them

- going on holiday is too expensive
- I have no one to go with
- except my teenage kids who are hit and miss
- going on holiday is too stressful
- I'd rather be at work around people than at home alone

or should I lie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Work is asking me why I have so much annual leave accrued and is encouraging me to take more time off.

'Staycation' is a thing. Take the time off work, and putter around the house on the cheap. One might even use that time to play boardgames (or RPGs or videogames). whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Work is asking me why I have so much annual leave accrued and is encouraging me to take more time off.

'Staycation' is a thing. Take the time off work, and putter around the house on the cheap. One might even use that time to play boardgames (or RPGs or videogames). whistle
Yeah but I already do that many hours a week. It's too lonely and pathetic. It's just a reminder that I have no friends and I live alone. My teenage kids are with me half the time so there is that. Also the town I live in sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

Yeah but I already do that many hours a week. It's too lonely and pathetic. It's just a reminder that I have no friends and I live alone. My teenage kids are with me half the time so there is that. Also the town I live in sucks.

Excepting people who are retired, I suspect most people would love to have some time off. Books, solo games, a nice movie, time to tackle chores, etc. Shoot, volunteer your time somewhere. Do a backyard science experiment with your kids. Figure out a way to make a local friend. Host a 'learn a boardgame' event. Make your town less sucky. Start brainstorming things you can do. The thing work wants from you is for you to have a mental change of pace and come back refreshed for more work.

It is not pathetic. Though I would find it odd to love work so much more than everything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

Excepting people who are retired, I suspect most people would love to have some time off. Books, solo games, a nice movie, time to tackle chores, etc. Shoot, volunteer your time somewhere. Do a backyard science experiment with your kids. Figure out a way to make a local friend. Host a 'learn a boardgame' event. Make your town less sucky. Start brainstorming things you can do. The thing work wants from you is for you to have a mental change of pace and come back refreshed for more work.

It is not pathetic. Though I would find it odd to love work so much more than everything else.
Please don't try to invalidate my experience to make yourself feel better. We are not talking about "most people". I already said I spend a lot of time at home doing those things. You don't know what I have already tried. You don't know the multiple times I have failed or been rejected trying. You don't know my 25 years of experience living in this town. I don't love work, but at least there I feel constructive and valued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Work is asking me why I have so much annual leave accrued and is encouraging me to take more time off. Should I be honest and tell them

or should I lie?

I can only imagine that is a hard feeling. I'd probably shrug it off with "Reasons." Or laugh in a mock-evil way, "So that I can take over the world once I have enough built up..." Either way you don't have to actually lie, but you are clearly not going to answer. Honestly, it's none of their business beyond them reminding you that you may stop accruing if you don't take it.

Does your workplace have a way to donate to people in need? Several places that I've worked allowed donations to someone with extra medical concerns, time for pregnancy or after child birth, family care, etc. It might not get the askers completely off your back, but at least it would be less obvious to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

or should I lie?

I can only imagine that is a hard feeling. I'd probably shrug it off with "Reasons." Or laugh in a mock-evil way, "So that I can take over the world once I have enough built up..." Either way you don't have to actually lie, but you are clearly not going to answer. Honestly, it's none of their business beyond them reminding you that you may stop accruing if you don't take it.

Does your workplace have a way to donate to people in need? Several places that I've worked allowed donations to someone with extra medical concerns, time for pregnancy or after child birth, family care, etc. It might not get the askers completely off your back, but at least it would be less obvious to them.
Thanks. Yeah being evasive seems like the obvious response. Although I am also tempted to be honest just to see what would happen.

No I don't think we can transfer leave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
As far as practical advice goes, I think you can't beat Rose's, so I won't try.

I'll only contribute by saying I can relate and understand the burden.

I recently became single again (my choice) and have lost about 75% of my social life (our formerly mutual friends) in the process. I seem to be having it easier than you, but yeah, I'd rather be at work with my colleagues, some of whom I really appreciate, than at home talking to myself most of the time.

Being evasive works, but you can also be semi-open and paint it in a positive light by saying you appreciate the work environment and being around your colleagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ooops. Sorry to hear about your break up, it's never easy I guess even if it needs to be done. Not easy to find good friends at that time too, sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're working for a company with decent internal controls, they should make you take time off. If you quit tomorrow they should be able to keep going without you with as few issues as possible. This way they can make sure things still get done. One of the worst parts of most people taking vacation is that they come back to all the work that should have been done while they were gone.

Also if you're juggling some fraudulent scheme to steal money from the company, it will probably get discovered when someone else takes over your job for a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
If you're working for a company with decent internal controls, they should make you take time off. If you quit tomorrow they should be able to keep going without you with as few issues as possible. This way they can make sure things still get done. One of the worst parts of most people taking vacation is that they come back to all the work that should have been done while they were gone.

Also if you're juggling some fraudulent scheme to steal money from the company, it will probably get discovered when someone else takes over your job for a week.
Good point. My job is a bit different, I'm a scientist, the work I do is long term and no one else currently in the organisation can easily pick it up. If I go away it doesn't really pile up, since projects are long term anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Jythier wrote:

Good point. My job is a bit different, I'm a scientist, the work I do is long term and no one else currently in the organisation can easily pick it up. If I go away it doesn't really pile up, since projects are long term anyway.

I thought scientists made lots of money, because of Careers, the board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I thought scientists made lots of money, because of Careers, the board game.
It's ok but you're never going to get rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

or should I lie?

I'm sorry they are bothering you. That sucks.

My husband gets this from his work all the time. However, our situation is different because I'm never able to take vacations, and he out of niceness, doesn't take them without me.

I'd be upfront about it. Tell them you'd rather be at work and leave it at that. If they press, then it is on them being impolite and prying, not you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about NZ but in Oz, an employer has the right to force you to take accrued leave. Around Christmas/New Year is the usual time (e.g. a factory will have all of its workers take their year at this time).

Unused leave is also a liability from an accounting viewpoint, which is why many companies like you to take it.

We live in a corporate world.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take Wednesdays off, maybe? Most people like long weekends but getting to stay home right in the middle of the week might be easier as you just were at work and you'll also be going to work the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
manukajoe wrote:
Thanks Ooops. Sorry to hear about your break up, it's never easy I guess even if it needs to be done. Not easy to find good friends at that time too, sometimes.

Thanks. It's mostly OK. When it comes to friends, even if lacking in quantity, I'm blessed with quality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, whenever I took vacation, everyone always seemed put out that I wasn't going to be at the meetings they scheduled. What, you can't take off THAT day. But 'that' day ends up being EVERY day. And so you have a manager bugging you to take time off and then never allowing it. ... or maybe that's something I read in a Dilbert comic. Some of those are so true to life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Take Wednesdays off, maybe? Most people like long weekends but getting to stay home right in the middle of the week might be easier as you just were at work and you'll also be going to work the next day.
Yeah I don't want to spend any more time at home than I already do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  41 , 42 , 43 , 44 , 45  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.