1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Upkeep and bankruptcy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beany Hotsauce
Norway
flag msg tools
I recently bought the ios version of eclipse and noticed that you get income from the systems you remove influence due to bankruptcy. Is this correct? Because this is not how we are playing the boardgame. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeanBean wrote:
I recently bought the ios version of eclipse and noticed that you get income from the systems you remove influence due to bankruptcy. Is this correct? Because this is not how we are playing the boardgame. Thanks in advance!

I think they simplified that aspect. That is not how the board game version is correctly played.

I noticed another subtle difference, but I can't remember it right now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
MeanBean wrote:

The Boardgame works different in this way. But why they have changed it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jordan Kane wrote:
MeanBean wrote:

It might be a bug. The program might not be perfect yet. Try to contact the developer, he's always in the forums, and give him feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
Jordan Kane wrote:
MeanBean wrote:

It might be a bug. The program might not be perfect yet. Try to contact the developer, he's always in the forums, and give him feedback.

I honestly don't think that it's a bug. It seems like a design decision. When you're 'bankrupt' in the game, it tells you exactly how many hexes you must abandon in order to pay your income. Obviously, in the board game, the number depends on what hexes you're abandoning. I can see why this may be both: a tricky thing from a programming standpoint, and a somewhat difficult concept for new players to understand (especially considering the lack of instructions in the game)....but it also makes going bankrupt much less severe, and I can see a bit of room for a possible loophole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
while(money_income + money_reserve - inf_cost is less than 0) prompt_user(bankrupt_msg);

Doesn't seem too hard... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ParticleMan wrote:
while(money_income + money_reserve - inf_cost is less than 0) prompt_user(bankrupt_msg);

I'll just type that in on my iPad, I'm sure the game will know what I mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beany Hotsauce
Norway
flag msg tools
ParticleMan wrote:

Seeing when an empire goes bankrupt is not the issue. For instance, you can leave interceptors on systems and capture them every turn, then just lift them up during the bankrupt phase and still get the income from these hexes. Assuming you have the colony ships to put the populations there every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeanBean wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

Seeing when an empire goes bankrupt is not the issue. For instance, you can leave interceptors on systems and capture them every turn, then just lift them up during the bankrupt phase and still get the income from these hexes. Assuming you have the colony ships to put the populations there every turn.

Um... no you can't. When you pull an influence back during upkeep because you don't have enough cash in reserve to pay your maintenance, the cubes on planets must go back on the population tracks. The only way to get production from planets you've lost is if you lose them during battle.

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
MeanBean wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

Um... no you can't. When you pull an influence back during upkeep because you don't have enough cash in reserve to pay your maintenance, the cubes on planets must go back on the population tracks. The only way to get production from planets you've lost is if you lose them during battle.

BOb

I assume MeanBean meant that you could do that in the iOS app where that rule isn't followed (as discussed above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
MeanBean wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

BOb

I assume MeanBean meant that you could do that in the iOS app where that rule isn't followed (as discussed above).

I see. Yes, that's a bad implementation then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
MeanBean wrote:

The iOS version works incorrectly in this aspect. The developers are planning to fix this in a future update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
Sorry if it's negative but I feel very strongly about what I'm saying. Eclipse is a great game and deserves to have been implemented correctly. They've been working on this app for a WHILE. I just don't see an excuse for a fundamental rule like bankruptcy not working correctly.

As a coder, when I look at what must have been hardest to implement properly, it HAS to be the AI strategy. Figuring out the optimal techs to buy / save for, how to beat your enemy on upgrades, when to pass and hope for key techs, and how to shift strategy constantly based on hex pulls and what the enemies are doing, especially in a larger multiplayer game. That's DAUNTING. I could fully understand if the AI still sucked and was being worked on for a long time. But a basic thing like bankruptcy?? Yeah, I just can't grasp how that would be messed up on release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Could it be something more simple as that is the way the developers understood the rule to work, and whoever it was that tested the game from Asmodee didn't notice the resources not going down?

Having never played the boardgame, I didn't realize my resources were not going down when I removed influence due to bankruptcy. Given the UI location of the resources track, it'd be pretty easy to miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Christie
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
Frammin' at the jim-jam
badge
Frippin' in the krotz
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game twice, I have noticed that the AI players go bankrupt all the time (especially early game, nearly every turn). I can only think that the developers doing the AI must have been very aware that going bankrupt was generating income. I can only assume they weren't aware this was a deviation from the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chomama wrote:
After playing the game twice, I have noticed that the AI players go bankrupt all the time (especially early game, nearly every turn). I can only think that the developers doing the AI must have been very aware that going bankrupt was generating income. I can only assume they weren't aware this was a deviation from the rules.

We do that in the board version too. Being able to optimize your system distribution in the exploration phase is very valuable.

So that is not necessarily caused by the incorrect implementation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Szaszko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
When you pull an influence back during upkeep because you don't have enough cash in reserve to pay your maintenance, the cubes on planets must go back on the population tracks. The only way to get production from planets you've lost is if you lose them during battle.

BOb

kilgore wrote:

The iOS version works incorrectly in this aspect. The developers are planning to fix this in a future update.

I noticed this yesterday and brought it up on the developer's comment board. It's an unfortunate error in implementing the rules as it fundamentally changes the gameplay. Because you're still earning resources when pulling influence away due to bankruptcy, the play is much more aggressive and you don't have the risk of a 'cascade failure' of money generation as you pull back influence disks as you do (and should) in the boardgame.

I've adjusted my play, to some extent, in the iOS version but I hope they fix it quickly as it's an important mechanic in a game that requires such careful resource management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The AI takes advantage of tactical bankruptcy frequently. I'm not sure that it is purposefully exploiting this bug though. I'll keep a closer eye on it.

While it's an issue, I can see how it was missed as you usually don't take discs off of Money planets during bankruptcy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Szaszko
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactical bankruptcy = 'Why yes, I'll influence that non-planet discovery tile-laden hex to get the discovery and then bankrupt myself with extra actions so I'm forced to pull that tile back'

Tactical bankruptcy =/= 'Sure, I'll take extra actions because I only have to balance the influence track and then the population cubes come back to the population track.'

Population cubes, when removing influence due to bankruptcy, come immediately back to their respective population tracks. This is why money is balanced first then resources are earned during upkeep.

Losing population due to combat is a whole other thing (hence the graveyard existing). It's incredibly annoying that this is missed in the iOS port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beany Hotsauce
Norway
flag msg tools
Good to hear they are fixing this. I just hope it doesnt mess up the AI, as it seems they are bankrupting themselves quite frequently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toof fou
France
flag msg tools
MeanBean wrote:
Good to hear they are fixing this. I just hope it doesnt mess up the AI, as it seems they are bankrupting themselves quite frequently.

The question is: when ?
I cannot play until then because an important rule is broken ((
*cry*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Christie
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
Frammin' at the jim-jam
badge
Frippin' in the krotz
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was just playing my first online game and my opponent went to -17 influence in his first turn with explores .. and I'm like hahaha - newb .. what's he doing ... oooooohhhhhh .. that's right, broken game ...

I imagine Planta must be off the charts with this strategy at the moment .....

Initially I didn't think this broke the game too badly .... that is until everyone is aware of the exploit, then the game just descends into explore into bankruptcy until the tiles run out, then play the last 4 turns of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From one of the two main threads:

b005t3r wrote:
MeanBean wrote:
One thing thats been bothering me. When you are bankrupt at the end of the turn and are forced to pick up influence disks, you still get income from the hexes you lose. This is a very big deal and will give you alot of extra resources during the course of the game as opposed to how the boardgame plays.

The first thing - it is a bug, it's on my list already.

So this is a bug, the developer (b005t3r, aka Łukasz Łazarecki) is aware of it, and it's on his list.

One hopes it's near the top of that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilgore wrote:
MeanBean wrote:

I didn't even notice this. Guess I've been handicapping the AI a bit because all my moves have been planned out like the board game so I don't believe I've benefitted from this bug yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from BGG: Eclipse to VGG>> Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.