Wings of Glory is a combat flight simulator computer game.
The game uses Origin's custom made RealSpace engine, which was first used in their earlier flight simulator, Strike Commander. The gameplay is primarily in first-person with an option to switch to third-person.
You begin the game as a novice newly arrived in England, and must take part in numerous missions, which involve taking off, completing certain objectives, then returning to base. The various planes that can be piloted are realistic for the time period; there is no radar, and the starting plane is a lowly Sopwith Pup, though they get more advanced as one advances through the game. Each plane has its own machine gun, and some are able to drop bombs.
In addition to the main campaign, there is a Gauntlet mode where the objective is to survive as long as possible against a constant wave of enemies. There is also a level designer, where one can create their own missions.
Source: Wikipedia, "Wings of Glory", available under the CC-BY-SA License.
They skimmed the clouds and dodged enemy bullets in their canvas-covered "aeros." You join their lofty ranks as an American pilot in the Great War, and learn to appreciate the personalities of both your comrades and the cantankerous planes you learn to fly. You'll develop a passion for real aerial combat--when you've got nothing but your wits and a machine gun keeping you alive.
Pouncing on the enemy from above, or positioning yourself for a kill in a tangled dogfight, you discover the only true goals are staying alive and taking down the colorful machines of the German Hunter Squadrons. As the story unfolds, your skills become legendary--and the adventure intensifies as you match your wits against the best!
- Play straight from the CD! You get all the action but use less hard drive space.
- Experience how full cinematic speech gives real-world depth to your comrades' personalities.
- Claim the hero's role in a gripping story--where the villains are ruthless, the traitors are cunning and the enemy aces reluctantly learn to respect your skill in the air.
- Fly and master the Sopwith Pup and Camel, SE5a, SPAD XIII and even a captured Fokker Dr. I.
- Take on a sky-full of fighters in Gauntlet Mode, take off on your own with the Mission Generator, and even jump in to see how different maneuvers affect a dogfight with the Flight Recorder.
- Encounter a world full of sound with 4-channel digital effects.