From the back box cover:
The Adventure Begins...
Since the 1950s, space flight has fascinated the world. Being presnet at lift-off or watching film clips of the shuttle missions has been the only way in which most of us could "participate" in a shuttle launch -- until now. Enter ORBITER, your personal window to space flight command.
With ORBITER you will:
- Use your skill to command a successful shuttle launch.
- Travel in earth orbit and see the Earth, moon, stars and other orbiting objects.
- Take a space walk or perform assigned tasks in the MMU (Manned Maneuvering Unit)
- Launch, rescue or repair satellites or the remarkable floating space laboratory (the LDEF)
- Use the RMS ("Arm") to maneuver objects in the bay or to "ock on" to the space station.
- Conduct classified missions for the military
- Affix modules to the orbiting space station
- Perform deorbit maneuvers to prepare for re-entry
- Use your aerodynamic (gliding) skills to land the shuttle on good old terra firma.
On certain computer systems Mission Control "talks" you through the launch and other activities using voice synthesis.
Random system failures may occur which will make it necessary to follow emergency procedures. It may be necessary to abort the launch, scrub the mission and return to earth earlier than scheduled, or perform an emergency landing at an alternate site. Your skill as the mission commander will determine your fate.
An adventure in the ORBITER will take your computer to its limits. It'll take your imagination even beyond...