Megafortress is a flight simulation game released by Three-Sixty Pacific in 1991. The player takes command of the fictional EB-52 Megafortress created by the military and espionage novelist Dale Brown.
The game takes place in the late 1980s and early 1990s and features three distinct sets of missions: Red Flag (USAF) training exercises at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada, a fictional series of missions during the First Gulf War and a special mission which reenacts the plot of the novel Flight of the Old Dog.
The game is played as a first person flight simulator. The player can control the EB-52 from six stations ranging from the pilot's station to the electronic warfare officer's station.
The player earns promotions from successfully completing missions. The highest rank that can be achieved in the game is brigadier general. If the player completes the special mission, they are immediately promoted to brigadier general.
Source: Wikipedia, "Megafortress", available under the CC-BY-SA License.
Back of the Box
Big, bad, and armed to the teeth!
Megafortress is more than just a battle-scarred B-52. It's the enemy's worst nightmare: a nearly-invisible attacker, carrying enough firepower to destroy the most heavily defended installations in the world.
Forget the run-of-the-flight simulators you're familiar with. Megafortress is in a class by itself: a radically modified B-52H Stratofortress, with radar-absorbing fibersteel skin, an SST nose, and enough state-of-the-art sensing apparatus and weapons systems to jam and blast its way into any place on Earth.
It's a huge, complex aircraft that demands attention to a dizzying array of tasks. Want to know what it's like to deliver 200 tons of mayhem and destruction into the blazing heart of the Iraqi war machine, all the while trying to keep your location a secret? This is the reality of long-range strategic air assault today.
You're not just a Pilot, responsible for takeoff and landing, mid-air refueling and other basic maneuvers. As Navigator you'll plot courses across Iraq and the USSR, keeping your missions on track; as Electronic Warfare Officer you're glued to a radar scope, hunting for threats, jamming signals, keeping the aircraft hidden; as Offensive Weapons Officer you have massive firepower at your disposal: air-to-air missiles, anti-radar missiles, and air mine rockets for defense, and powerful TV/infrared guided glide bombs for the final attack.
With missions in the Persian Gulf and USSR designed by Dale Brown, B-52 navigator and best-selling author, Megafortress is an adventure into the complex world of strategic air assault.
- Multi-position bomber simulation with Pilot, Copilot, Navigator, Electronic Warfare Officer, and Offensive Weapons stations.
- Complete electronic countermeasures maximize the "stealthiness" of the Megafortress.
- Multiple missions in the Desert Storm theater of Iraq/Kuwait, the eastern USSR, and the USAF Red Flag training area in Nevada.
- Arsenal includes the latest in air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles, anti-radar missiles, air mine rockets, standard high-explosive "iron" bombs, and TV/infrared glide bombs.
- Terrain guidance radar screens operate at realtime speed.
- Full 256 color VGA graphics in a 3D world with universal camera angles.
- Sound Blaster and AdLib sound support.
- Game includes Dale Brown's bestselling novel, Flight of the Old Dog.