Fire and Dice is a lock-and-roll dice game, with a disaster management rescue board game layer atop that. Use your pool of dice to manage your fire department, so you can rescue victims and put out and control fires. Of course, things are always more interesting when the choices aren't obvious, so those same precious dice can also be used to acquire long-term benefits, or for risky immediate benefits. In any case, what you roll is ephemeral, and any rolled resources you don't use on a turn just go to waste.
You start with four dice and one truck. Here are some sample payouts for the dice:
- gas can — Each gas can you roll allows you to move a truck one city block.
- water — Each water you roll allows a truck to reduce a fire by 1 point (small fires start at 5; large fires start at 10; all fires increase back toward their starting value by 1 each turn they burn).
- ladder — Each pair of ladders you roll allow a truck to rescue a victim. Rescuing victims earns you extra dice (maximum: 3 extra, for a total of 7).
- fire truck — Roll 3 fire trucks, and you earn an extra truck.
- helicopter — Once your fleet has 3 trucks, the truck face of the dice is replaced by a helicopter face. Roll 5 helicopters, and a helicopter will douse each and every block of the city with 5 water. Risky, but with a huge payoff.