Strike Fighters: Gold is a multi-faceted flight-simulation game that features one of the most versatile combat aircraft of all time – the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II. The core of the game is traditional combat flight-simulation – the player takes command of a thundering jet fighter and engages in aerial dogfight with enemy fighters while seeking and destroying ground targets. The game is set in the 1960s – when aviation technology was still primitive, but advancing at a rapid pace. Some missiles and guided weapons are available later in the game, but true to history, they remain somewhat unreliable and inaccurate. Most air battles involve visceral, in-your-face gunfights, and the player’s skill at outmaneuvering his opponents remains the key to victory and survival.
- Jet combat simulation game set in the 1960’s when aviation technology was still primitive but advancing at a rapid pace.
- Fly 10 legendary fighters from the early jet age, each meticulously rendered to every detail. Choose from F-100D Super Sabre, 4 versions of A-4 Skyhawk (A-4B, A-4C, A-4E, and A-4F), and 5 versions of F-4 Phantom II (F-4B, F-4C, F-4D, F-4E, and F-4J).
- 3-D virtual cockpits with working gauges and dynamic lighting effects.
- Engage in blood-draining, G-pulling, action-packed dogfights against 10 different types of enemy, including MiG-17 ‘Fresco’, MiG-19 ‘Farmer’, MiG-21 ‘Fishbed’, Su-7 ‘Fitter’, Il-28 ‘Beagle’, Tu-22 ‘Blinder’, and An-12 ‘Cub’.
- Random mission generator for maximum flexibility and replayability.
- 3 new campaigns featuring high-flying combat action over fictional Middle Eastern sands. Campaign missions are randomly generated for different outcome each time.
- Fully scalable difficulty options to challenge both novice and expert pilots.
- Open architecture for future expansions and user-mod support. Download thousands of user-created skins, aircraft, terrain, missions, campaigns, and editors already available on the Internet for the original Strike Fighters: Project 1.
Source: Archived Publisher Website.
Strike Fighters Gold is an updated version of Strike Fighters: Project 1. It includes more ground objects and three extra campaigns called Desert Thunder, Quick Sand, and Rattle Snake.
The F-104G and C-130 Hercules were removed from this version due to a licensing dispute with Lockheed Martin although the F-104G was later available for free download.
Source: Wikipedia, "Strike Fighters: Project 1", available under the CC-BY-SA License.