Bethesda announced in December 2019 that development on Legends had been halted, though the game and servers remain available for play.
The Elder Scrolls: Legends is a collectible card game which revolves around turn-based matches between two opponents (player vs. player, or player vs. a computer opponent). The cards are based on creatures, characters and lore found in The Elder Scrolls series. Each player or computer opponent starts with a deck between 50 and 100 cards (previously 50 to 70). At the start of every battle, each player starts off with three cards drawn from that deck and one magicka, which is used to deploy cards. To offset the advantage of taking the first turn, the second player also starts with a jeweled ring in play that can be activated once per turn to gain one additional magicka three times during the game. Each player gets one additional magicka at the start of their turns thereafter. Without use of specialized cards, a player's magicka can only reach 12 in a game. The player and their opponent are represented by a character with a set amount of health, with the goal to reduce the competitor's health to zero.
Each player can use their available magicka to play any number of cards. Cards are divided into four types: Support cards, which provide ongoing benefits; Action Cards, which are effects that are instantaneously played; Creatures, which are the main method of conducting combat; and Items, which enhance creatures. Creatures normally cannot attack the turn they come into play. Creatures have attack and health values; when creatures attack, they deal the damage equal to their attack value to the opponent creature or opponent character, and take damage equivalent to the defending creature's attack. If a creature's health drops to zero, that creature is defeated and removed from play. Many cards feature additional effects, listed explicitly or by a number of pre-defined keywords.
While the main game is free-to-play, expansion sets featuring different themes are available for purchase.
- Monthly Cards: Cards earned by playing Ranked mode. They are all of epic rarity. By reaching the milestone ranks (Mage, Warrior, and Thief) each month, you can earn up to 3 copies of the monthly card. If you fail to reach Thief or don't participate that month, the cards can be Soul Summoned like any other card. The December 2020 card would be the final monthly card to be released. From January 2021, the monthly Ranked rewards will begin to cycle through the pool of previously released monthly cards.
- Madhouse Collection: Released on December 14, 2016 to coincide with the first Chaos Arena. It consists of ten cards and a single Event Ticket.
- Forgotten Hero Collection: Released on February 1, 2018 to celebrate the end of the Forgotten Hero's saga. It consists of twelve cards, for which you will receive a complete playset of each.
- FrostSpark/Fall Collection: Released on the 1st of November, 2018.
- Tamriel Collection: Released on December 6, 2019. It became available after Bethesda announced that all expansions and updates would be on hold for the foreseeable future.