The outlook is grim as the dark Netherworld has been taken over by evil rules who have no rightful claim to the throne! You, as the young prince Larharl, are the heir to the throne and will need to kick some serious evil-guy butt to solidify yourself to your rightful position as ruler of all things evil! To aid you on your way, you need to assemble a team from the 150+ character classes and monsters, find the coolest and shiniest of weapons, and learn to use some of the over 100 mind-blowing spells and special skills that are at your disposal.
Battle your way through your weapons to power them up, try to corrupt the dark assembly, or spend some time in the hospital. No matter what you do, it's time to start acting like the king!
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness was released for the PS2 in 2003.
- 16:9 format to take advantage of the PSP's widescreen display.
- Alternative narrative with Etna as the protagonist.
- Some extra boss battles such as Overlord Zetta from Makai Kingdom and Rozalin and Adell from Disgaea 2.
- A multiplayer mode available through Ad-hoc connections.
- A music shop and a record keeper were added.
- A complete dual language option and the option to turn off battle animations.
- Most of the silent Japanese cut scenes now include voice acting.
- Added geo Cubes, magic items that add more depth to multiplayer battles.
A port of the PSP release "Afternoon of Darkness". Changes from the PSP port:
- The option to toggle between English and Japanese dialogue, and many additional voiceovers were dropped.
- Added demon gadgets, randomly generated items that appear on the battlefield. Units can power up by acquiring these gadgets.
- New unlockable characters from the original Disgaea, Adell and Rozalin from Disgaea 2 are unlockable as hidden bosses within the Cave of Ordeals, as well as the Dark Assembly guide, Pleinair. Overlord Zetta also debuts as an unlockable, playable character.
A port of the PSP release "Afternoon of Darkness":
- All PSP features present.
- A later patch added the four characters previously exclusive to Disgaea DS.
An anime series based on Disgaea: Hour of Darkness entitled Makai Senki Disgaea (literally Netherworld Battle Chronicle Disgaea) aired in 2006. Consisting of twelve episodes it follows the general plot as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness but with several alterations to character roles and the chronology of events.