Though marketed as a standalone add-on to Jagged Alliance 2, Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire is more of a remake of the original. The story and gameplay have been tweaked but are basically the same.
Some of the new/modified content include:
- higher overall difficulty, with better enemy AI and higher numbers of enemy troops;
- new weapons and equipment;
- all enemy military facilities are much more difficult to attack, due to the addition of minefields, fences, alarm and defensive positions;
- the Arulco population is more loyal to the regime;
- the drug cartel is now a part of the government and much more dangerous.
Note that the game was released before QA testing was finished, and thus contains a number of bugs (some of them carried over from Jagged Alliance 2 and later fixed by fanmade patches).