From the Publisher website:
Shadow of Rome recreates Ancient Rome in all its gory and violent detail with an intertwining epic storyline that combines stealth adventure gameplay with gruesome gladiatorial action.
Rome, 44 B.C. – a place of violence, corruption and deadly shadows.
The great city is in chaos. Julius Caesar, the emperor, has been murdered. The evidence points to the father of the great soldier Agrippa. But the evidence, like so much in Rome, is not what it seems.
To save his father, Agrippa must conquer the bloody gladiatorial arenas. While he fights, Agrippa's friend Octavius tries to uncover who is really behind Caesar's death using stealth and intellect. Two different stories, one epic tale, set in the shadow of Rome...
When players venture through the world of ancient Rome and as the story unfolds, Shadow of Rome automatically switches between Agrippa and Octavianus, each of whom have their own area of expertise. Playing as Agrippa, gamers will have a more action filled gameplay experience, whilst Octavianus’ gameplay style is geared much more in favour of stealth and puzzle solving.
Rome is reconstructed in full 3D with startling realism, compelling players to explore the ancient city. Diverse environments include a bustling market place, vast forests, sea vessels and old citadels. But most impressive of all though are the packed Coliseums and various arenas that set stage for the violent battles and gladiatorial contests that form the main part of the game.
The story – woven into the fabric of actual ancient history – will keep players guessing as a colourful cast of characters appear throughout the game and deepen the level of realism and make this epic saga even more impressive.
* Character switching – Shadow of Rome blends action and adventure with the use of two different main characters. Agrippa lends himself more to action, whilst Octavianus is crucial for the adventure elements of the game. The game automatically switches between the ‘brains’ and ‘brawn’ to uncover the truth behind the real murderer of Caesar.
* Faithfully recreated historical environments – ancient Rome is stunningly recreated, immersing the player by bringing a sense of realism and atmosphere to the game with full 3D polygonal environments and Dolby Sound Pro Logic II support.
* Interact with the crowd in gladiatorial contests. Perform a series of killer blows and fill your ‘salvo meter’. When full you can salute to the crowd who respond by showering you with food and weapons.
* Gameplay variety – as Agrippa, participate in gladiatorial events such as tournament battles and duels to the death. As Octavianus, use stealth and strategy to gain clues to help solve the murderous mystery of Caesar.
* Also as Agrippa, race chariots in the fastest, most fatal sport in ancient history.
* Bonus games and other secrets to unlock – achieve high scores in the tournament battles to open up six bonus games. Other secrets include Battle Select Mode, numerous costumes for both characters, market stalls to buy items for Octavianus and production sketches from the games artists.