Steel Beasts 1 has been out of production for years and is no longer supported. Information is provided here for those who might still be using this product.
Steel Beasts 1 is a highly accurate simulator of the US M1A1 and German Leopard 2A4 tanks that is designed to let players create and play scenarios of modern armored warfare on their PCs. Steel Beasts can be played on many different levels: from gunner in a single tank to company commander. Any mission can also be played over a network (e.g., the Internet) with any combination of cooperative and competitive style of play, including multiple players in a single tank. Powerful and easy-to-use scenario and map editors allow players to create virtually any mission they can dream up.
The individual mission (or scenario) is the core of Steel Beasts. Each mission has three distinct phases:
- The planning phase, in which a military-style text briefing and interactive maps are presented to the player for planning the mission.
- The execution phase, in which the simulation runs in real time, and the player can experience the virtual 3D battlefield from a first-person point of view in the tank commander's or gunner's position, or from an external view, in combination with a military-style map.
- The debriefing phase, in which the results of the scenario are displayed, along with key events during the mission.
- Features the Leopard 2A4 and M1A1, both modeled in high detail.
- Multiplayer support: Any mission can be played over a network with any cooperative or competitive style of play, including multiple players in a single tank.
- Specifically designed for players to create and play their own scenarios.
- Superior AI that frees the player from micromanaging his units.
- Sophisticated algorithms that enable real-world tactics to apply.
- Powerful 2D map with line-of-sight display that allows meaningful pre-battle planning.
- Integrated mission and map editors
- A tank commander's position that is actually useful.
- Sophisticated damage modeling, including loss of communications.
- Friendly forces that are not under the player's control can also be part of the battle.
- Mine fields
Source: The Developer Website.