Firezone is a computer war game released by PSS in early 1989. The game is thematically loosely based on OGRE.
Description from the box:
Firezone - Ground Combat - 21st Century
With the breakup of the Superpower blocks, colonial wars ravage the world. The development of powerful beam weapons and defensive energy shields have revolutionized ground warfare giving a new lease of life to the concept of the Armored Fighting Vehicle.
Propulsion systems have advanced beyond recognition. The development of the GRAV engine means tanks can skim across a battlefield at the speed of todays helicopter gunships.
FIREZONE simulates this new style of combat. It can be played as a solo game against a tough computer opponent or as a two player game. The player can control either of the two main protagonists - the EUROPEAN LEAGUE or the PACIFIC COMBINE - in any of the set scenarios. Victory is yours when the opposing forces are either wiped from the map or forces into mass retreat. Also incorporated is a scenario editor program allowing the player to design his own battles.
FIREZONE is a phased game and incorporates the latest in Artificial Intelligence techniques.
- Phased game
- Highly intelligent computer opponent
- 9 pre-set missions on disk
- Unique scenario editor
- Hidden or open movement
- 1 or 2 players
- Multiple terrain types
- Hex based scrolling maps
- Variable unit types including:
- INFANTRY, team of foot soldiers in powered armour.
- NOVA GEN, heavy artillery on slow tracked platforms.
- STRIDER, bipedal heavy fighting machine
- GRAV TANK, fast lightly armoured strike tank
- HEV TANK, main battle tanks - slow but well armoured
- COM BASE, static or tracked nerve centre of the force
- LEVIATHAN, the ultimate killing machine