Mega Man Maverick Hunter X is an enhanced remake of the 1993 game Mega Man X. The game shares basic gameplay elements with other titles in the series. It is a side-scrolling platformer where players advance through various stages to defeat Maverick robots. There are a number of equipment upgrades hidden through the stages that will improve X’s combat abilities, and each boss yields a special weapon to X when defeated.
The game includes a number of updated features, including:
- improved graphics that place X in 3D side-scrolling environments similar to Mega Man X8.
- Weapon energy refills after every death, instead of every continue
- The ability to fire the Mega Buster even while special weapons are equipped
- Level redesigns
- New plot sequences and character dialogue
- Two difficulty modes: Normal and Hard
The largest change from the original game is the inclusion of Vile as a playable character. Players can go through the entire game as Vile, complete with a unique playstyle. He does not use special weapons like X – rather, Vile has three weapon slots that can be equipped with loadouts that can be used in each stage. He has a single energy meter to share among these weapons that slowly refills over time.