In addition to being a compilation of the first four games in the Great Naval Battles series, this CD set also includes the exclusive release of the fifth and final entry in the series, Demise of the Dreadnoughts, 1914-1918, which portrays naval battles of World War I.
From the Manual
Great Naval Battles V completes the scope of SSI’s acclaimed line of naval simulators to include naval actions from the First World War. From the frigid North Sea to the Atlantic and the Falklands, the British can be pitted against German forces in one-day battle scenarios or longer campaigns.
In addition to increasing the scope of the game, several new features and improvements have been added:
- The Great Naval Battles Vol. V Customizer allows alterations in game variables to reflect the preferences of the Commander-in-Chief.
- A tactical view panel on the Flagbridge and Ship Bridge stations shows the action as it happens.
- The types of ships for both the British and German sides have been expanded.
- The addition of a Random Battle Generator, with ten orders of battle for each side, means that many random scenarios can now be fought.
- The level of realism has been increased by adding structural damage ratings for all ships.
The GNB5 Scenario Editor allows the creation of truly custom scenarios, allowing the player complete control over the deployment of ships and management of bases. Existing scenarios can also be edited, to allow an almost infinite potential for What If? scenarios.
Designing a scenario is very similar to playing a Great Naval Battles Vol. V campaign. In the campaign scenario, the player is presented with a set of bases and the forces that are assigned to them. The GNB5 Scenario Editor takes this one step further by allowing the player to decide which bases are to be used, who controls them, and what forces are assigned to those bases; from small surface engagements between squadrons of destroyers to mighty fleets.