Sierra Entertainment, Inc. was an American video game developer and publisher founded in 1979 as On-Line Systems by Ken and Roberta Williams. Based in Los Angeles, California, the company was last owned by Activision, a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard.
Sierra is best known today for its multiple lines of seminal graphic adventure games started in the 1980s, some of which proved influential in the history of video games. The Sierra label has been absorbed by its parent company. Some franchises which were published by Sierra will be published by Activision. Activision announced in 2008 that they may sell the Sierra brand.
Sierra Entertainment fan
- This company was originally founded in 1979 as On-Line Systems by Ken and Roberta.Williams.
- In 1980 they changed their name to Sierra On-Line.
- In 1998, Sierra split up its organization into 4 sub-brands and corporate divisions: Sierra Attractions (For casual games such as poker), Sierra Home (For home/lifestyle software), Sierra Sports (For sports games) and Sierra Studios (General publishing division).
- In January of 1999, Sierra and its affiliates were acquired by Havas, S.A.
- In 2008 ownership of Sierra was transferred over to Activision. Later that year, Sierra was closed down for possible future sale.
- On August 7, 2014 Sierra Entertainment was revived.