Digital Illusions was founded in May 1992 in Växjö, Sweden by five people: Ulf Mandorff, Olof Gustafsson, Fredrik Liliegren, Andreas Axelsson and Markus Nyström, members of the former demogroup The Silents. For an extended period of time, while the employees were also students at Växjö University, the company's office consisted of a small dorm room. During those days the company developed popular pinball games for the Amiga. The company moved to Gothenburg in 1994 where it was headquartered until 2005, when that office was merged with the ex-Refraction Games office in Stockholm.
- On January 1993, Digital Illusions HB changed their name to Digital Illusions CE AB.
- In January 2000, Digital Illusions bought Refraction Games.
- In January 2000, Digital Illusions bought 90% of Synergenix Interactive.
- In March 2001, Digital Illusions acquired Sandbox Studios.
- In November 2004, Digital Illusions was acquired by Electronic Arts (EA).
- On October 2, 2006, Digital Illusions was renamed to EA Digital Illusions CE AB (EA DICE).