War of the Chosen is a DLC for XCOM 2, which adds many new elements to the game:
- Three new factions with accompanying hero classes: Reapers, Skirmishers, and Templars.
- A new storyline with its own missions, which integrates the new factions.
- New ways to tweak the existing classes, via soldier bonds and ability points.
- The Lost: a new enemy type which attacks in big groups and may hinder both heroes and aliens.
- New enemies: Purifiers with flame throwers, psionic Priests, and Spectres who copy your soldiers.
- The Chosen: three new, unique enemies who return again and again until they are defeated in their fortress.
- The unique weapons of the Chosen, which you can use after they are defeated.
- Several new location types, such as cities, sewers, and the underground.
- New mission types, such as "hunt down the commander before he escapes" and "gather loot before the enemy does".
- The SITREP system, which tweaks missions, such as "The Lost are in the area" and "Only low-level soldiers allowed".
- New tech to research.
- The Resistance Ring: a new room which allows you to send soldiers on covert missions for different kinds of boons.
- Photo opportunities to memorize your successes.
- A fatigue system, which takes soldiers out of the running for a while if you use them too often.
- Negative traits for soldiers who get into traumatic situations.
- Daily Challenges which may give you a spot on a global leader board.
The Alien Hunters DLC and Shen's Last Gift DLC can be either played as before, or be integrated in the story of the game.