Welcome to Video Game Geek!
Who Are We?
Video Game Geek strives to be the premiere database for all video game enthusiasts and specializes in video games of every type and era. This includes Reviews, Sessions and discussion along with the world's friendliest community. Whether you want to discuss a game, ask questions, play a game or just read reviews or session reports on a game, you've come to the right place. This is a global community and we would love for you to be part of it!
Video Game Geek (founded in 2010) is the youngest sub-domain of the pioneering BoardGameGeek (founded in 2000), and RPGGeek (added in 2009). If you already have an account at BGG or RPGG, you don't need to sign up for VGG - your existing account allows you full access to all three domains. If you don't already have an account, you can sign up for one by Registering now.
We hope that you find Video Game Geek to be a welcome place to discuss the amazing world of Video Games.
All three domains were once joined under the umbrella site Geekdō (pronounced "Geek-Doh"). Known in the West as kanji, the main character used for Geekdō was the Chinese character for "dō" (道) meaning "the way", quite simply, "The Way of the Geek". Geekdō is no longer in use. You can read more about it here.
What is VGG?
Video Game Geek (abbreviated VGG) is a video game database - a collection or catalog of information on everything video game related. The information contained within our database was meticulously and voluntarily entered on a game-by-game basis by our user base - you. The game information entered on VGG is intended for posterity, historical research, and user-contributed ratings. We try not to take shortcuts and have worked hard to produce a model that works and rewards useful content. This also means that people entering data, and the moderators, must understand the Guide to Data Entry and be diligent about the rules to ensure the data is both accurate and consistent.
We also try to do right by those who hold the copyright on their products. Strict rules on what we allow in terms of images are designed to protect the intellectual property of the creators and publishers who have worked hard to bring us these great products.
OUR MOTTO: VGG is Nice!
You are entitled to your own point of view. You can love one game and dislike another. Praise one publisher and condemn another. But you may not do so at the expense of another user or their beliefs. Respect the opinions of others - do not belittle anyone for their choice of game or views. Do not bash other sites. In short, do not step on your fellow VGG geeks. Be considerate.
What Are VGG's Design Goals?
As a database we want to catalogue as many video games and related content as possible. This means we try to stay open minded about what is and isn't a video game and interpret the term in the broadest sense possible. Games intended for all ages and in any stage of development is accepted.
Our Design Goals Are:
- To record as many games as possible and all related content, including series/franchises, hardware, characters, etc.
- Allow anyone to easily access the information found within our database.
- Allow each of our users to maintain a personal record of their game collection and plays.
- Enable our user base to discuss, rate, and review at greater length, each game in the database.
What Isn't VGG?
There are some things that fall outside the scope of our website.
- Up-to-the-minute gaming news: Some articles on game related news may feature on VGG from time to time. However, we have zero interest in competing with gaming news websites.
- Patches, bug-fixes, demos, mods: We simply lack the resources to host and manage these. The game companies themselves are the best places to look for them anyway.
- Game Retailer: Our user base may engage in private sales made through the Marketplace. Additionally, we feature links to the Amazon and App store fronts and offer advertising on our website. We do not sell games ourselves however.
The VGG Community
Video Game Geek's slogan has always been "VGG is Nice". Our goal is to foster and maintain a friendly, helpful community of both the casual and hardcore video gaming hobbyists. We have had resounding success. While we may not be the largest gaming site, we can say confidently that we are the most hospitable!
If this is your first time here, you should know that we have a number of helpful pages to make this experience smoother for you. If you're a long-time veteran of either BGG or RPGG, you should be aware that while most of the activity over there occurs within the forums, on VGG you will find it in GeekLists. GeekLists have a format that is more ideal for the discussion of video games than the forums.
Here are some key pages you should know about:
- VGG User Guide - Start here to learn how to use VGG and its core features.
- VGG FAQ - Common questions get answers.
- VGG Glossary - All of the strange and wonderful terms we use on a daily basis.
- Guide to Data Entry – If you're going to enter data into the database, read this first!
- VGG Image Policy - If you're going to upload images into the database, read this first!
- VGG Admins - A list of folks who can help you get through your 'Geek experience.
Yearly lists and events:
Be sure to introduce yourself to our VGG Geek Community!
Want to know more about...?