Terraforming Mars Play By Forum Waiting List
Terraforming Mars is a popular competitive game by that lends itself well to the Play By Forum (PBF) option. The need to give everyone a chance to play and the longer commitment of the PBF format (approximately 2 months to complete a game) gave rise to this Waiting List. All games are collected under this forum: Play By Forum
If you are interested in playing a game of Terraforming Mars by forum, please post your name below. General requirements are that you own a copy of Terraforming Mars and that you can check in at least once or twice a day once your game starts. Only card titles and info will be distributed no card images will be posted (thus the reason to own the game). Other specific requirements will be outlined at the start of the game and may change from moderator to moderator, but some general guidelines may exist in the future. If you haven't played before, it might be a good idea to browse the Forum before your first game. Entry into a game is on a first come, first serve basis. And while we will try to accommodate everyone that wants in a game, we reserve the right to end this at anytime.
If you are interested in moderating a game, please note that below. Obviously, anyone can go and start their own moderated games and set it up however they want. But this list is for those wanting to use to post game states in a GeekList . You need to have PhotoShop or GIMP or some other means to manipulate the graphics. The demand is a bit heavier for moderators in that they will need to check-in more frequently and do their best to get through a player turn within 2 days. We ask that you respect the order of the player list and keep it updated to reflect your invites and acceptances. Moderators can get started at their leisure. Links for the files you need are below the waiting list table. Some helpful tips can be found here: A basic guide for the new BSG PBF moderator.
If you would like to play/moderate a rematch with the same group after a finished game, you are encouraged to have one person in the group (player or moderator) start and moderate a new game for players on the Waiting List. This helps ensure no net loss of games (since the moderator would probably start a new game if not involved in the rematch), and keeps the Waiting List moving.
How To Add Your Name
- Click on the "Edit" link at the top of this article.
- Add the following two lines to the BOTTOM of the list before the "|}" code):
| [username=YOUR USERNAME] || LIST OF PREFERENCE CODES || LIST OF STATUS CODES ||
- Replace the text in ALL CAPS with your specific information, or just follow the example above you.
- Notation Codes can be found below.
- At the bottom of the webpage, note the "Edit Summary" description, such as "Added Name" or "On Vacation"
- If you are currently playing in a game, you cannot get back on the list unless your current game has all terraforming parameters at max values. Once that happens, you may get back in line, but please mark "#" and the "game number" behind your name. To be fair to everyone, we ask that you play in only one game at time (including rematches).'
- When a game gets started, a moderator will invite the first several names until a game fills. Once that game starts, those names that accepted will be removed from the list and everyone else will move up. Names will also be removed from the list for too many declined invitations.
- There is a record of the edits on this page so we know who may be cheating!
- NOTE: Since people can update this list simultaneously, it is possible that your name may not appear. Please verify it is on the main page before you leave.
- NOTE: If you are a new user or not a regular user, please set your GeekMail notifications to forward messages to your regular email address. The list has the potential to clear very fast at random times and you will be bypassed if you do not respond within a timely fashion. Instructions on forwarding GeekMail. When GeekMails are forwarded, the subject line will start with "[TM]" followed by the subject of the GeekMail. Please make sure your spam filter allows e-mails with "[TM]" in the subject line.
Since anyone can edit this page, we ask that only moderators update the status of 'other' players. This edit should be limited to removing players who started in your game and those who ignore the invite. A first ignore gets marked with an * but stays on the list in the same position. A second ignore gets ** and is moved to the bottom of the list. A third ignore gets deleted from the list.
So an added name should show the user added with a history of that user adding the name. Any deletion should show the moderator name with a larger update. If anything looks suspicious, it will be corrected by a moderator.
Notations on the Waiting List
When you add your name to the Player Waiting List, you should consider including one or more of the following "Preference Codes" in the "PREFERENCE" column. These codes tell moderators which types of games you're most interested in playing. Because these codes only communicate a preference, you may receive invites to games that don't quite match your preferences. It's easy to make your preferences into firm requirements, though—see "Modifying Preference Codes," below.
- Any — You are open to playing anything! (This is the equivalent of leaving your PREFERENCE column blank.)
Preferred Expansions: (REMEMBER — You must own an expansion to play it!)
- B — Prefer to play with NO expansions (base game only)
- V — Prefer to play with the VENUS expansion
- H — Prefer to play with "Hellas Map"
- E — Prefer to play with the Elysium Map
Preferred Player Count & Common Variants:
- N=# — Prefer a game with "n" number of players
- draft — Prefer a draft project cards variant
- hidden — Prefer a game with the player's cards hidden and a non-player moderator
Preferred Time Zones, Language & Game Presentation Format:
- E — Prefer a "European" Time Zones game
- A — Prefer an "Asian/Pacific" Time Zones game
- S — Prefer a Spanish-speaking game
Modifying Preference Codes
If you wish to transform your preferences into requirements, you can modify your Preference Code(s) by placing either an exclamation mark or a minus sign after the code:
- ! = Require: An exclamation mark means that this code is necessary. It says: "Please don't invite me to a game UNLESS it has this code."
- - = Exclude: A minus sign means that this code must NOT apply. It says: "Please don't invite me to a game IF it has this code."
NOTE: You can also communicate the details of your preferences in the "STATUS" column of the waiting list.
These codes appear in the "STATUS" column, and can be added either by yourself or by others depending on the context:
- Newbie — Add this Status Code if you have NEVER played in a Terraforming Mars Play-by-Forum game before (and ONLY then). (Some moderators run a "Cadet Cruise" now and again for newbies, so you might get in your first game fairly quickly.)
- #[game#] — (e.g. "#285") You are currently playing in the indicated game, and will be bypassed for invites until that game ends.
- Vac:[start]-[finish] — You are vacationing during the specified period, and are exempt from collecting asterisks for ignored invitations (see below). Once the finish date is passed, or if you do not include one, you are liable to collect asterisks as usual. If your vacation is more than 3 months, please wait and sign up again when you need less than 3 months' vacation.
These codes appear in the "ADMIN" column, and are edited by Moderators only:
- * — Player has ignored one invitation. (If a 2nd invitation is ignored, they will be moved to the bottom of the Player Waiting List)
- ** — Player has ignored two invitations. (If a 3rd invitation is ignored, they will be removed from the Player Waiting List)
- I-[game#] — (e.g. "I-299") Player has been invited to the indicated game.
- A[n]-[game#] — (e.g. "A2-299") Player has been notified as the nth Alternate to the indicated game, and may receive a formal invitation if enough initial invitees decline.
PLAYER WAITING LIST
Your name may be on the list only once. If you are currently playing in a game and would like to get back in line, please wait until your current game has reached all Parameters objective.